I knew it would be bad, but

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 8. Sep 2015, 16:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
I wasn't quite prepared for how bad it actually was. :oops: :oops:

I finally plucked up courage, and found the time and determination, to go to my local class of Sxxx Wxxx. All was fine until us "newbies" were weighed at the end and I approached the scales, having stripped off as much as I could.

I've done the diet before (back in the days when I was in my thirties) but I was horrified at the figures on the scale today. I've been heavy in the past and I knew I was past my previous maximum "tonnage", but even so I think I got home on automatic pilot.

What I can promise is that that's the last time the scales will show those numbers for me. The figures will be going down.

My initial target is to get rid of 3 stones but ideally I need to lose 4. However, I intend to approach it in half stone chunks and chip away at this. As I cannot exercise hardly at all I know I'm not going to get fantastic results, but two/three pounds off a week will be fine with me.

My home life has not been conducive to me doing this before, and to be honest it's still not good, but the time has come that I need to do this for me. I know that my joints are suffering and that if I can get this weight off it will help them. I also hope it will help to reduce my acid reflux issues and hot flushes.

I'll let you know how I get on.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Grace you have now made up your mind to do something..I am like a yoyo at the min..so will join you on this journey...good luck you can do it...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Patcher
    Patcher Member Posts: 18
    Hi Grace
    I totally understand, I too have just started the fight. Like you can't exercise much but will do what I can and take it bit by bit. Munching on raw carrot as I write, got the nibbles but least I like carrot.
    Good luck, let me know how it goes
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the replies - and the encouragement. First day done - I stuck to the plan 100% and yet still had some treats. :lol: I wasn't hungry either but I knew I wouldn't be from when I did this diet plan before in my thirties.

Have pasta in blended tomatoes tomorrow for my lunch to take to work. Boil plain pasta - any shapes - in plain water. I don't add salt but I know some people do. I threw in some fresh mushrooms, red onions, spring onions and peas so it all cooked together. (Didn't have any sweetcorn but I will when my shopping comes). 1 tin of basic tinned tomatoes - blend these, throw in some parsley. It took 10 minutes to do as it it was quick cook pasta.

Drain the pasta and veg, chuck the blended tomato sauce over the pasta, give it a stir and voila! :lol: If you are going to eat straight away obviously heat the sauce up, otherwise leave it all to cool and then put in fridge to enjoy later.

This is in a pot - large - for me to take to work tomorrow and all I need to do is pop this in the microwave for a few moments and I have a filling lunch to eat, which is all free food. Yoghurt and fresh fruit for snacking on.

I'll keep plodding - I'm a typical Taurean, Once I make my mind up to do something I'll dig my heels in and do my utmost to make it happen.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, Grace. I'm sure you'll get there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    I had ham, egg & chips with side salad for dinner tonight! :lol::lol: All free (allowed) food.

Chips cooked in the S**W** way - chop spuds into chip shapes, par boil for 5 minutes. Line baking tray with tinfoil and spray using spray oil. Put chips onto foiled-tray, spray chips and bake in oven.

I also used the spray oil to assist with poaching my eggs as I have use an old type of poacher with the cups in. Guidance re poaching eggs in boiling water would be great as I have no idea how these are cleverly produced!

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Whenever I've poached eggs just in a pan of boiling water that's all I've done - just broken them into boiling water.

Normally, though, I use a poacher pan. The cups that hold the eggs are non-stick so an absolute minimum of lubrication is required,

How's it going, Grace?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thanks Sticky, I thought that was how poached eggs were made the other way. I prefer to use my traditional poacher, but I will try it the other way.

Diet is going okay although my joints are protesting at the amount of time I'm having to be on my feet prepping food! I do wonder if that's part of how you lose the weight - standing you burn more calories than sitting! :!:

I feel better in myself knowing I have made a start. I am feeling a bit more confident as well, which always helps.

Although I started last Monday, I'm transferring to a Wednesday class as there's no way I can do a full day at work on a Monday, and then add to the length of my day by going to class to weigh in. Joints just won't tolerate it. On a Wednesday I finish at 1.30pm, so can put my feet up for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and then get to class for just after 5pm, weigh in and then get back home to have a meal. Likewise, I know I can't turn out to a class later in the evening, especially in the winter. Evenings are my worst time, ideally I'd go to a class during the day on a Thursday or Friday but there aren't any near to me on those days.

The consultant who runs the Monday classes also runs the Wednesday ones so I'll have continuity with the consultant.

I'm hopeful I've lost something this week but naturally until I weigh in I won't know how I've done. At least I can say with a clear conscience that I have faithfully followed the plan, I've eaten well, healthily and still had my little chocolate treat in the evenings.

GraceB
  • GraceB
    Patcher, thanks for the encouragement. It's hard when you can't move some days and even getting a cuppa is a challenge!

Use some natural fat free yoghurt, put a pot of that in a bowl, with juice of half a lemon and some mustard powder. Then grate some carrot, finely chop some white lettuce and onions. Mix all together and you have a healthy coleslaw.

Be careful with the mustard powder though. I put too much in and I nearly had my head blow apart! :oops: I then put a second pot of natural yoghurt in and that diluted the 'kick' a bit. I made this on Friday, and it kept until today. I was reluctant to keep it any longer so the little that was left I put in my food composting bin.

My neighbour is also on this plan so the two of us are supporting one another. It makes such a difference, as we are swapping ideas and new recipes. She liked my coleslaw. I had today some of her watercress soup - lovely.

What diet plan are you following or are you trying to do this on your own?

Good luck, I hope you get to your target. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like any more specific support.

GraceB
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    I know how you feel I cant do much exercise but the best decision I ever made was 3 years ago starting slimming world stepped on scales 1st week and was shocked at the figures our consultant said keep those figures in your mind stick to the plan and you wont see them again and she was right. My OH joint at the same time although he had a lot les than me to lose now three years later we re both at our target and still going each week. we have lost something like 8 st between us me losing at least three quarters of that. and now finding easier on the joints and must say my mobility is much better. so good luck on your quest to lose the extra pounds.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Patcher
    Patcher Member Posts: 18
    Hi Grace
    Glad to hear it's going well. Love coleslaw recipe, will try it at weekend. I am doing diet on my own but kind of following W***** W******* plan. Have been fairly good all week, eating carrot sticks again!!!, and have lost 2 1/2 pounds, yippee. Not a lot but not bad either.
    Hopefully your weigh in goes well. Will need to ask son how to PM as never done this yet so watch this space.
    Patcher
  • GraceB
    Turbogran,
    Thanks for the wise words. I keep seeing my figures from last week in my mind and that's spurring me on as I was horrified by them. I have vowed that I will never, ever, be that weight again.

My elderly neighbour is on the SW plan so we are supporting one another. She has mobility issues (two hip replacements, OA lower spine and a heart condition) so we tend to pass samples of food in our plastic containers back & forth through her open lounge window. :roll: Heaven knows what the neighbours think! :!:

I've cooked up a huge batch of my pasta & vege mix, some I'll take to work tomorrow to have for my lunch, a small amount is in a pot for my 90 year old mum to try later in the week, my neighbour had some and I still have enough for a second, hearty meal myself.

Due to my joints I have to carefully judge when I can do my meal prep which is a bit of a bind but I'm doing my best. Tomorrow will be one week completed on the plan, and I weigh in on Wednesday night to see what my result is. I feel that I have lost but whether that's wishful thinking or not I'll shortly find out!

GraceB
  • GraceB
    Patcher, if you go to the bottom of a post when you want to PM, look for the button that says "PM". Click on that, prepare your message and then "send". If you get stuck give the helpline a ring. Hope that helps.

When you do the coleslaw, watch out you don't get your head blown off as a result of the mustard like I did!

Good luck with your quest, I hope you get the weight loss you want.

GraceB
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Grace hope you are right and please keep me up to date with your progress if you don't want to put it o hear you can pm me. :D
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • GraceB
    Thanks. I'll give a progress report tomorrow night after I get my first result. I genuinely have no idea how I've done, I've followed the plan to the letter so can only hope it's given me a kick start. I have to admit I do feel better in myself for having made a start with this, but I have a long way to go.

GraceB