What am I?

Options
Melz
Melz Member Posts: 2
Just signed into this forum as I'm not sure the pain I feel relates to arthritis, hearing of other peoples experiences will be good in helping me figure myself out....

I have degenerating spinal discs that have resulted in 2 lumber discectomies and one operation to my cervical spine. The cervical spine is in a bad way and one disc has almost disappeared, facet joint injections failed because the damage is too great. :(

I've had muscle pains just about everywhere and flare ups of joint pain, with osteoarthritis in my hands, neck and feet. They hurt a lot today, which is why I've done a search on arthritis. Especially my ankle joints. Doc has ruled out rheumatoid arthritis.

I've spent 8 years thinking once a problem was treated my life would return to normal...ha ha! This year I was diagnosed with shoulder joint degeneration and muscle tear....another operation! I'm healthy and
generally fit and active and I'd rather crawl on the ground than use walking aids, I've been so determined not to give into this!

Sadly lost my job in 2010 and (no surprise) the government hates me, I had to fight for ESA due to shoulder injury.....Which hasn't been cured with minor surgery.

Don't want to accept disability status, but finally feel beaten into submission. Living alone and totally skint! Oh, and I'm in my late fifties.

Any advice out there?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Meltz from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Modonfriday
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello melz and welcome to the forum.

You have posted this on the Benefits and Working Matters Forum. I'm not sure if that was deliberate. Many of us on here are new to forums and apt to get things slightly wrong at first. However, if it's benefits you are enquiring about here is a useful link https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled

If, however, you're more concerned with sharing the difficulties of life with arthritis, and supporting each other in this, then Living With Arthritis is where we normally do it and it's a 'busier' forum than this one. I have RA and OA and I'm very grateful to all my forum friends for the wonderful support they give.

I don't think anyone wants to see themselves as disabled and, of course, we all need to focus on what we can do rather than what we can't but I think there comes a time for all of us when we have to accept that our physical limitations are greater than those of our contemporaries.

I hope we'll see you around and you'll enjoy being part of our forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright