Knitting

emmaadams
emmaadams Member Posts: 140
edited 19. Sep 2015, 17:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've recently started to knit I'm currently making my Niece's blankets for their Dolls prams for Christmas (yes i said that C word)lol

I'm getting my patterns off YouTube at the moment but i wanted to know if there was anywhere i could download them from ??

do any of you knit ?? if so what do you make ?? i would love to make a hat but i have no idea how to do one ? or if i need a rounded needle ,
what are your favourite things to make ?

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm knitting a blanket for our expected 2nd grandchild (shh, it's a secret until the weekend, after the scan!), I downloaded it from www.knittingonthenet.com. The picture looks quite complicated, as its basketweave, but it's really very easy. I don't really consider myself a knitter, and often ask the lovely lady in our local wool shop for help! I've also knitted a couple of little hats for our granddaughter when she was tiny, and didn't need a circular needle.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Emma. I borrow pattern books from the library, and also pick up patterns from charity shops so can't help with internet versions. I can confirm though that you don't need to knit hats 'in the round'(ie circular or double pointed needles). Bobble hat or beanie style are dead easy on 2 needles - just keep track of your rows when doing the decreases - and experimenting with different combinations of needle size and yarn weight is also easy and will give you different sizes. One thing I have noticed is that knitting in the round is common in the USA so American patterns are very likely to use this method, check before downloading.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I like knitting and mainly make accessories like hats, mitts and socks.

I think the best place for patterns is ravelry.com. Once you register, the site has hundreds of free patterns - as well as ones which can be bought - and also lots of forum groups where you can ask like-minded people all over the world for help or advice. I was very new to knitting and crochet when I joined and have found the site invaluable.

Best of luck with your blanket.

Meg
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I very nearly cried when I saw the topic of this post I love knitting and have a couple of unfinished things,I can no longer knit properly because of my hands ,I am doing crochet but for me it's not the same,good luck with it anyway and do a few rows for me. Mig
  • emmaadams
    aww Mig i feel your pain .. ive only been knitting since may , i did do some as a child with my aunt , but have only picked it up again and im in LOVE !!

i will certainly give that website a good look at Meg ,

and i never thought about the library Daffy i shall go and see if my local one does any :)

Sharon i hope all goes well next week with the scan and im doing a basket weave next ( first time ) i hope it goes well ...im currently doing a vintage type weave and it is soo easy and it looks beautiful ... i will be sure to give the website you mentioned a look
  • Sharon2960
    Sorry to hear that Mig; I usually only manage a few rows at a time and don't look forward to not being able to do it as I've never managed to master crochet!

Emma, where did you find your current vintage weave pattern - sounds very interesting!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I used to knit just about anything. Children's jumpers and cardigans, adults ditto. I once knit my husband a cable sweater with a roll neck collar. Full pram suits for my babies. For the youngest one I knitted a pram suit with a plain white lining, and a lemon lacy patterned layer over it. Like mig, I had to stop aged 36, when I was diagnosed. My hands were like bunches of bananas. :cry: BOO HOO!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m another one who had to give up on my knitting, which I loved - the more complicated the pattern the better. OH is still wearing an Aran sweater I made him in the days before RA came a - calling.

Our local market has a lot of knitting patterns, as do the charity shops sometimes.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,397
    I used to love knitting! My Mum used to stitch my finished projects together for me, but once she died I gave up.

c020.gif

Do crochet sometimes and cross-stitch a bit too :)

(good news about the 'secret' baby ;) )

Love

Toni xxx
  • Sharon2960
    Thankyou - scan was yesterday, so they've gone public now lol!

Better get on with the knitting!
  • emmaadams
    hey guys sorry for not posting sooner .. been busy with doctors etc.. Sharon i found it on youtube its fairly simple as its a 2 stitch pattern . i fnd all sorts on there :)
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Hello all knitters. I have always loved knitting. I have knitted for everyone in the family over the years but I now find grandkids don't want knitted things so much, they are more into sweat shirts and hoodies. I have been crocheting squares which make into blankets and I end up giving them to the Salvation Army. I have never been very good at following a crochet pattern so I just make up my own. But there are lots of web sites to down load free knitting patterns.
  • emmaadams
    thank you Lindamay ill have a look around and see if i can find some :) my 2 boys (9 and 5 ) love to watch me knit they have even had a go them selves and have also asked for me to knit them scarves and hats .. i want to make a patch work throw/cover for them each as they love them :) xx
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Go for it! Good luck. And make the most of those boys, they grow up too soon. I still can't believe that I m a Grandma to a 16 year old and that my daughters are now both in their 40s! In my head I m still in my twenties, certainly not in body though. I am hoping that my 8 year old grand daughter takes up my interest in knitting and crocheting. She is also left handed as I am and yet my daughter is right handed.
  • emmaadams
    i certainly will do ...

:cheers: