X-Box info please

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 24. Sep 2015, 10:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
In L.A., earlier this year, we had great fun on our grandson's X-Box. (OK, I was rubbish but he was very encouraging, especially when I finally achieved a strike at 10 Pin Bowling.) All he does on it is sport – baseball, tennis, bowling and golf.

His Dad says they can be got cheaply second hand and we checked them out when we got home but couldn't make head nor tail of what we'd need or what it'd cost so forgot about it.

But now our Scottish grandson has a birthday coming up. We think he'd love one (again, for sport) but have still no idea what to look for or what we / he might need to ensure it worked. (Or cost.) Can anyone enlighten me, please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If they are anything like a Playstation I believe they will work pretty much out of the box. Just had a quick look and I think that is the case. I could ask some of the kids at school if you like? The kids are always talking about x box games!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Have a read of this as there have been many different Xboxes released over the years.
    http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/360buyersguide.htm

update; xbox one is the most up-to-date model. With any X box you will need to buy games and controllers and they can be expensive.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Patcher
    Patcher Member Posts: 18
    Hi
    I believe an X box one needs an internet connection for initial start up (so my son reliably informs me) however an X box 360 ( the previous version does not). You would need the X box itself, controllers and obviously the games. A new X box one is around £400 or more and I am being told you also need an HD television, X box 360 does not and will be less expensive. GAME, the shop might sell preowned X boxes if that's any help.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Patcher
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone for your information.

Now comes confession time :oops:

I got it wrong :oops: :oops:

It's not an X-Box but a Wii that one grandson has and the other would like. The things you charge round the room with, waving your arms about and, if you don't clamp the strap to your wrist, threaten the windows with.

At a glance, they might at least be in an acceptable price range for a second hand one. Any info on these please?
    Steven Wright
  • Brutha
    Brutha Member Posts: 51
    They are good fun and exercise at the same time. My kids love this stuff. Number of things to be careful of.

Don't get "wii u" stuff to complement it. It won't work!

Aside from the machine and its power supply you will need...

A sensor bar
    A wii remote
    A "nunchuck"

And the disc for the game. Most likely the game was "wii sports"

Not many places sell these new now. Certainly not at a reasonable price anyway.

Cex is reasonable if you have one near you and they will make sure you have all you need.

Good luck!

Mark
  • stickywicket
    Brilliant info, Mark. Thanks so much.

We do have a Cex reasonably near and I / we will check it out.

Yes, Wii Sports. He plays baseball in real life but also loves he tennis and golf. Great for when he's at home and Daddy's trying to work.

Thanks again.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    Hi again Sticky,

I was thinking a Wii would be better as they have wii sports games which kids (and adults) love but didn't like to suggest it seeing as it as an X-box you wanted. I'm sure you could buy a 2nd hand wii or wii U quite easily from ebay or Game.

Note that if you buy a Wii U then the games must also be Wii u compatible. Wii U will be clearly marked on the box the game comes in. You usually get hand held controllers with the console.

Some games require extras such as light sabres (Star Wars) and steps Wii fit) but wii sports should be okay.

One word though; check that he doesn't already own one!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    I've just had a look on ebay uk and if you type in Wii sports and console in the search box at the top there are some for sale with the console, wii sports game, controllers and nunchuck too for less than £50.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I gave my old wii to the charity shop about 6 months ago! What a shame! I had all the gadgets too.... :roll:
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, Elizabeth. I have looked and I think we will buy. That was very useful.

Frogmella - what a kind thought! I'm sure someone will be very happy with your old Wii and I'm just relieved that it's nothing like the price of an x-box (which doesn't seem half as much fun).
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, everyone. I've just ordered it :D
    Steven Wright