Dealing with pain and fatigue

Mancmech
Mancmech Member Posts: 9
edited 29. Sep 2015, 02:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I take a high dosage of oxycontin and other concoction of tablets for my osteoarthritis and other medical issues.
I don't sleep very well at night due to pain in my shoulders and i have problems with my water works causing me to use the toilet frequently.
I'm really struggling at work as I'm falling asleep in the afternoon, sometimes when im sat at my desk and when i feel really tired, i sit on the disabled toilet which is out of the way.
I've tried taking things like Pro plus but nothing helps!
Does anyone else have bad fatigue and how do you deal with it?
I'm that worn out that im off work at the moment so any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Mark x

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling right now. I think it would be true to say that many of us have sleep problems because of arthritis pain, and we all try all sorts to help. Some of us use extra pillows to cushion sore joints, and try different sleeping positions......for me personally I tend to use lots of pillows to prop myself more upright when my shoulder are particularly sore, and use warm packs or a hot water bottle to sooth.

I wonder whether you have had a serious conversation with your GP about your pain and sleep issues, there are all kinds of medications to help with both. I had a recent conversation along those lines with my GP, and she listened sympathetically and offered different options for pain relief, I don't think we are ever truly pain free when arthritis comes to live with us, but we can do things to help ourselves to a greater or lesser degree. I would encourage you to see your GP soon and look for some informed professional advice and support, it's not a sign of weakness, but a facing of the reality we live with every day.

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We all struggle with pain, tiredness and fatigue and when you think about it it's not that surprising. Our bodies have to work harder to achieve what others do without thinking, our rest is disturbed thanks to pain break-through and we should rest as often as possible even if it's just for a few moments (I am having a break from ironing just so I can sit down!)

I have learned over the years how to generally pace myself, I keep my pain relief to the minimum so I can accurately gauge from the feedback when it's time to stop what I'm doing but I know I am very fortunate in that I am retired (very early thanks to the disease) so I can make these adjustments. If you are still working then that is a tough challenge indeed. Does your employer know about your current troubles? Are there any changes that could be made to help you cope better? If you belong to a Union then you may be able to seek some advice and support from them (I know nothing about current employment legislation so cannot advise on that).

I have never been a great one for taking more meds than I need - I reckon I am currently on enough one way or another and don't want to add more but they do have a role to play. Amitryptiline is often prescribed to help one sleep, it's best taken early in the evening so you can actually wake up in time the next day! I find that on the occasions I do sleep well I wake up in greater trouble with my joints because I no longer move naturally so end up staying in one position for a few hours - nightmare!

There are numerous threads about this topic on the forum, I cannot remember all the things that have been said but it's something we all struggle with from time-to-time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Mark;

I have PsA and really wish there was a solution to the problem you describe. I am retired early too, though still hoping I can return to work part-time eventually. It's been five years now and is seeming less likely all the time. Before I left my job, I was making horrible mistakes because of the fatigue and I didn't know what was wrong so it was very disturbing to everyone concerned. My employer is great, though and supports me coming back anytime I'm ready to.

I find the fatigue very hard to deal with. You need to pace yourself and develop a different set of time management skills. It's endlessly frustrating but I think the only remedy is to rest. That's the only thing that works for me. My fatigue has it's own schedule. Sometimes it's most severe in the morning and other times it's afternoon. Chronic pain takes a lot of your energy. Sorry, I don't have more to offer you.

Best wishes.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Some good advice there from the other, Mark. I'd just add that at least some of the tiredness might well be coming from the heavy duty pain relief you are taking.

Most i mportantly - PLEASE don't take Pro-Plus or any other over-the-counter meds unless your GP or pharmacist is aware that you are combining this with your prescription meds. You could get interactions.

I think you need to go back to your GP and ask to have your pain relief reviewed. Maybe a referral to a pain clinic might also help. But not Pro-Plus.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mancmech
    Mancmech Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your messages of advice and support guys, think i do need to discuss my medication with my GP.

Mark x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, As everyone has said we all do suffer with sleep problems due to pain. I wake myself up in the night if I have slept to long on one side so I will wake and have to change position several times a night. So I get tired in the afternoon and have to take a siesta. The meds also cause me to feel tired a lot as well. So it is like a never changing circle of pain and sleep. It's something I have learned to live with I'm afraid.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    God luck, Mark. Let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi Mark, Just wanted to wish you well with your gp. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, how's things? Have you been able to see your GP to chat things over? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben