Two weeks post hip replacement update

newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 29. Sep 2015, 17:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again all

I thought I would just continue with the updates for a bit in the hope that they are useful to others facing total hip replacement ... today I am two weeks post op and doing well. I am down to using one crutch around the house which is great because if I make a cuppa, I can now carry it into the lounge rather than having to use a lidded vacuum cup. I am going for 2 short walks outside each day, with crutches of course ... yesterday was a scary one as my husband had gone back to work. I learned that it is not a good idea to buy a carton of milk and try to carry it in a bag ... even that small weight made me feel unbalanced.

Sleep is still elusive at night but a bit better, post lunch nap is still much enjoyed and feels more refreshing than night time sleep. Painkillers - I am still taking paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly spaced. Physio - am diligent about doing the exercises however dull they are. The downsides remain the TEDs and the nightly injections, but apart from that I am delighted with my new reduced pain and increasing mobility - and the incision is itchy, bit lumpy but swelling is going down. WOW that first shower felt SOOOO GOOD! :splash:

Regards to all

Andrea

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hey, well done you! It sounds as if you've got it all in hand and are dealing very well with it - even the TEDS :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh yes, the first post-op shower is always the best of one's life! I am pleased that things are going well for you, of course it is a big hurdle to leap (I wish I could think of a better simile but have failed). The goal was reduced pain and improved mobility and you're finding that is the case, so that is very good. Of course there will be an ongoing issue with swelling etc. but that will ease with time. I am very pleased that all is going well but don't get carried away, OK? :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You are doing well and its good of you to keep this updated..I remeber well the teds and it was the hottest summer for a long time... :roll: and the injections..but we get through these things ..please be careful with one crutch ..think I used two for 5 weeks..but every one is different..keep up the good work.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Glad to hear all is going well
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done Andrea!

You are doing so well :)

Keep it up and yes please do post as those who are about to have the same op will be encouraged and reassured :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • newhipandy
    Thank you all very much for the encouragement! I am being very careful with the one crutch, I promise! - our house is small so moving around is relatively easy, but I am using two more than i am one .... one when I am carrying something really. I can see it would be easy to get carried away and forget I am only just two weeks plus a day post op ..... will have to be a patient patient :cheers:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Andrea maybe you need a baby carrier to put all your bits in? :wink: Or a ruck sack on back to front??

then everything would be central and less likely to unbalance you?

Love

Toni xxx
  • newhipandy
    Ahh thank you for the tip - I dug out my rucksack and it is ideal when I go round to pick up a paper and any necessary (lightweight!) bits. :D
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Sounds like things are continuing to go well, hopefully posting your experience here will help others in the future.