Falling apart!

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 29. Sep 2015, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, I am back after a long absence - the OA has been manageable due to spinal injections and I've been getting on with life as best as I could.
However...
My health has taken a dramatic turn for the worse and I find myself once again turning to you lovely people as you don't mind me sounding off and more importantly you understand!
I've been feeling 'under the weather' for quite a long time now - exhausted and run down, not really able to put my finger on it - I'm sure you know the feeling? Then a few things happened which have scared the living daylights out of me.
A few weeks ago I suddenly lost the peripheral vision in my left eye for about 30 minutes or so. It was replaced with swirling lights and patterns, a kind of kaleidoscope effect. I put that down to a 'silent' migraine, no pain or nausea, just the visual disturbance.
Then a couple of weeks ago I was asleep and woke to excruciating pain in my chest, right in the middle which then went through to the back between my shoulder blades. It felt like someone had shoved their hand into my chest and were pulling my insides out! This pain spread up my neck and down my arms. I did think 'God, I'm having a heart attack' but I let it run it's course and eventually it eased. I saw the GP who tore me off a strip (quite rightly) for not calling an ambulance, and arranged for me to have an emergency ECG, bloods and chest xray. Whilst waiting for results, though, I have been getting increasingly short of breath, unable to take a deep enough breath and yawning constantly because yawning is the only way I can go that extra 'mile' and satisfy the breathlessness (I hope that makes sense?) Even talking on the phone is difficult as I keep having to stop and catch my breath. I then got a letter saying I had been referred to the Rapid Access cardiac unit, which is this coming Monday (not that rapid, eh?)
So today I called for the results of my bloods, only to be told that I need to have a repeat test as my liver function test is abnormal. This isn't the first time I have had this result but the other GPs have dismissed it. The chest xray was clear which rules out any kind of lung involvement.
I have been trying to get my Dr to listen to me for a long time that there is something systemic going on, but because the bloods have always come back normal (no inflammation etc) he refused to consider it was anything other than good old OA (which has also rapidly progresses up to the top of my spine and neck).
So...all in all I am not too happy with things at the moment. I am scared to leave the house alone to be honest in case it was a heart attack, which the GP seems to think is the case, and with the pain levels rising I am pretty miserable right now.
I don't really elaborate too much to the family about how I am feeling - I'm a single mum (although I do have a boyfriend now) and I don't want to scare them, so it's nice to get it all off my chest on here (no pun intended).
x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had one or two very minor optical migraines myself but never lost my vision with them. I also wake occasionally with chest pains but I know mine is because of my stomach / hiatus hernia / oesophageal problems.

I'm glad your GP has taken this very seriously. Livers can show problems which aren't to do with the liver itself. In your shoes I would assume it is a heart problem until proved otherwise and I'd take things very easy, watch my diet, and cut out alcohol - and especially cigarettes if you smoke. But I'd also ensure I didn't eat late at night in case it was more of a stomach problem.

Take no further risks, ouchpotato. If in doubt get medical advice.

I hope it turns out to be nothing much but, meanwhile, we are here, OK?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Sorry for your difficulties OP, its good you went to see your doctor and you are having the cardiac checks.

I think important to keep doing what you can for yourself, good diet, drink plenty of water, rest when you need to but do a little walking exercise, not too far from home and always carry your mobile phone with you so if you have those pains again at home or when out phone the ambulance straight away.

Good luck for Monday let us know how you get on, take good care of yourself.

Regards Jen

PS I wonder if going to get your eyes checked might be a good idea too.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello ouchpotato
    It good to see your name on the forum again, but so sorry you are suffering..and I feel for you trying to convince your GP..I have been there..
    I do hope they can get to the bottom of these symptoms..I have had rib pain but not really in the chest..please let us know what the test say..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at present, hope the medics can get to the bottom of what's going on soon
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    How's it going, ouchpotato? I hope things are no worse.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Take Care Ouch and keep us informed!! It is nice to see your name on the forum again. :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334
    Hello Ouch

Sorry to hear all this what a mess :(

I am glad your GP is looking into it all for you and hope it isn't your heart :?

Have you had an eye test too just to be on the safe side.

As a single parent it's even more important to take care of yourself isn't it? BUT extra scary.

Thinking of you and hoping you feel a bit better soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    How did it go, ouch? Well, I hope.
    Steven Wright