Laptop dying?

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 27. Sep 2015, 11:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
The fan on my laptop keeps coming on and off. It's either that or it's trying to read a non existent disc in the disc drawer. Doesn't sound well. Don't think it's going to be worth fixing as the laptop is well over 6 years old but I took the view all the time it carries on and for the small amount of time I'm on it, why spend loads of dosh on another?

The last thing I need is to have to get another laptop and then get someone to transfer everything to it for me. Got a nasty feeling the choice may have been made for me though. Botheration!

Unfortunately the "computer man" I used to use is no longer working. I won't go into details, but suffice to say he used a camera linked to a computer inappropriately and got caught. And he seemed such a nice bloke!

Oh dear it's doing it again. :shock: Gulp.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry your laptop has seen better days, there are a lot of different laptops and notebooks these days so you could look at what would be best for you. I know that I love my new-ish laptop/notebook they have so many new things on them. Maybe you could ask Santa for a new one for Christmas!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Can you put all the important stuff on disc now while it's still working? Or save stuff in clouds?

Mr SW's current laptop has always had a very noisy and often in use fan. Drives me mad :mrgreen:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace
    I bought my last laptop off Eb*y..its a place that refurbish ex office ones and very cheap..I love it after having so much trouble with the new ones I have had at 3 time the cost...
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I agree with the others get a memory stick and save your stuff ASAP.

Having said that dare you try to hoover it out a bit? There are tutorials on UT*BE and you might just save it???

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

I had confirmation it's the fan going, a large computer shop starting with "P" said they'd happily replace this, but at a minimum of £80+VAT I was the one saying "no, it's not financially worth it, due to the age of the laptop".

I had 2 prices for replacement laptop and printer (as naturally the printer I have is too old to connect to a new laptop). I've purchased a new laptop & printer from J*** L****s. I have the laptop here and collect the printer next Weds as that had to be ordered. I've also paid for one of their tech guys to come and put everything together next Friday, install the software (as naturally again the package I bought 8yrs ago won't go onto the new machine) and they'll also link everything up. I'm not a tech-person and I believe that if you don't know what you're doing, let an expert have the hassle!

All my files are on a memory stick and I've checked to make sure they've saved okay. I'll copy these back onto the new laptop and keep the memory stick as a back-up.

I've contacted my broadband/email provider and had some telephone tech help to be able to get to my emails via the internet in future. I've always used Outlook for emails up to now, but thought this would be a quicker way for the future.

A bit annoyingly my email contacts didn't transfer from my outlook to the internet version of my emails so I sat there and put them all in. I logged off, went back in and they'd gone!! :o :? No idea where to mind you. So I had to start putting them in again through another icon I saw on the side of the screen. I did about three as a test and they appeared to have saved okay. I'll get the rest on tomorrow. Thankfully I only have about 25 contacts so it's not as if I've got hundreds to transfer. :)

I'm now waiting for my nephew who knows about computers (but sadly for me lives in the Midlands so is too far away to physically help with the setting up) to email me back about how to securely wipe my existing laptop. I think you can do something called "restore to factory settings" or we'll take the laptop to bits.

Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the printer comes in on time, the tech guys turn up and my wifi broadband co-operates on the day!

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck, Grace :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done Grace!

You sound all organised - let's hope the plan comes together for you :)

VERY wise to let the experts set you up safely and properly.

What laptop did you choose in the end?

Love

toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Thanks for the replies. Rather bafflingly the contacts I put in the other day have re-appeared! :?: :o Saves me a shed-load of work so rather pleased about that. Have no idea why they failed to show up Friday but never mind.

Toni - I'll PM you the details of the laptop as I seem to remember we aren't allowed to use "trade names" as this could be construed as advertising.

My nephew bless him has emailed me back and given instructions as to what part to take out of the laptop. It appears I can play with a power tool and drill it! :lol: Don't very often get the chance to play "power-tools".

GraceB