Advice

Options
Louise81
Louise81 Member Posts: 9
edited 29. Sep 2015, 07:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I'm in need of a bit of advice. I'm still awaiting results from the blood tests my gp took (I had tests done that leaked in transit so had to get more tests done last week) but my gp thinks there's something autoimmune going on, most possibly a form of arthritis.

The thing is that I have been off work for the past 3 weeks with joint pain, stiffness and extreme fatigue. The gp actually signed me off with arthritis (I thought this was a bit strange but hey ho). I was starting to feel much better and am due to return to work tomorrow. However I've had a major relapse over the weekend and now feel just as awful as I did 3 weeks ago.

I'm so upset, I was so looking forward to going back to work but my job is quite physical and I really don't think I can manage feeling like this. Do I try going back, grit my teeth and try my best to get through it (I work in education and it's only two weeks to the holidays) and maybe end up worse, or do I get another sick line and a doctors appointment?

I don't know what to do, I hurt everywhere, I can literally feel my pulse in my joints and I'm so so tired :-( I really don't want to let my work down and feel like I've been off for so long (this is the first time I've ever been signed off from work in 11 years of working).

Sorry for moaning, I'm just getting fed up and feel totally pants.

Louise xx

Comments

• Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi louise

So sorry you are dealing with all this pain. I would say see how you are in the morning and if there is no change and you still feel you can't manage going to work, just phone the doc first thing to check in the Surgery and arrange to get another sick certificate, then phone your work to explain the situation.

The only alternative would be to turn up for work and if you couldn't cope you could return home, but you would have to deal with the pain of doing that.

Take good care of yourself. I hope you get some helpful treatment to help manage the pain better. Meant time rest up with a heat pad or hot water bottle, wheat bag etc.

Best wishes Jen
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This sounds very much like an active auto-immune arthritis to me - this is what they do when they are not controlled. I know that when I flare the tiredness is overwhelming, I sleep for England and wake up feeling no better. This can last for weeks or months and, despite the meds I take, it still rears its ugly head from time to time.

It is important to listen to your body, it is telling you that something is wrong and that it needs some help. The pressure of returning to work is not going to help you at all - I was a teacher and trying to work when things were amiss did nothing to help. When are you hoping to hear about the results? Please bear in mind that bloods are not a reliable method of assessing an auto-immune arthritis - have you been referred to a rheumatologist? I apologise for not remembering. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Louise ..I really do count myself lucky that I started with Arthritis in my 50s and retired..I do think that only you will know the answer to this question, I know it seems the right thing to carry on for a couple off weeks till the holidays..but its how bad do you feel...I do hope you can get some help with the pain and fatigue very soon..and let us know what you decide to do..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Only you can decide what to do re work but will you really be doing a good job if you force yourself to go in? Conscientiousness is an excellent trait but sometimes it can stand in the way of common sense. Stress is no friend of arthritis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Louise81
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I think you're all right and I've maybe jumped the gun a bit on deciding to go back. I've just had a bath in hopes of easing the pain a bit but ended up lying until the water got cold because I couldn't face getting out and getting myself dried and dressed. Maybe running up and down stairs and standing all day might not be the best idea lol.

Hopefully my blood test results will be in tomorrow, the last ones they did (they managed to test the first vial but the second had leaked or something along those lines) showed slightly elevated inflammation and something had flagged up about my white blood cell count so hopefully I'll have a hint of what's going on soon :-)

Thank you all again, it was really kind of you all to reply and has eased my guilt at being off from work.

Louise xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    If lots of stairs are involved I think you made the only possible decision. Let's know how you get on, Louise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Louise81
    Options
    That's me just home from the docs, I've been signed off for another 2 weeks and my doc is going to contact the rheumatologist. My bloods have all come back normal but the doc says that doesn't really mean much as she can see I am really struggling. It was a really positive experience and I feel I have some answers, she said that instead of trying to fit my symptoms into one 'box' they might be looking at 2 'boxes' or maybe 3.She thinks it could be my osteoarthritis (which she suspects is in more joints than originally thought) and something else (autoimmune arthritis, fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome were all mentioned).

Thank you all for your help and support :D

Louise xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It sounds as though you have a good GP there, it's good that you are to be referred. GPs know a little about a lot but rheumatologists know far more about a little - mind you even they can be confused at times. Mine were initially but I have been on the right track for years.

It's good that you are signed off for another fortnight, take the time to properly rest. If you are not already doing so then it may be time to start a short diary recording pain and tiredness levels, the things that ease as well as those that aggravate matters. This will help the rheumatologist get a better all-round picture of you and how you are being affected. Don't expect an instant appointment, they can happen but it's more likely to be weeks before you go. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Glad you had a good visit with your GP louise and now signed off for another 2 weeks. Its good to know things are being looked into further.
    Just rest up as much as you need over next two weeks and try little slow walks each am and pm as you can.

Keeping fingers crossed for you and hope soon you will have some relief.

Jen x
    flower2520paars.gif~c200