POCKET DUTIES PLEASE

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 3. Oct 2015, 12:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, My appointment isn't until Friday but it cant come soon enough.
I have an appointment with the orthopaedic consultant about this greater trochanter fracture.

The first steroid injection he gave me was wonderful, lasted 5 months and to me that was a result. Then some months later he gave me another one {different place} for bursitis It was absolutely useless. That was the beginning of April, last time I saw him he said he wanted me to have an ultra sound scan.
Eventually I got that done and the girl doing it said I should be having the injection in the trochanteric area....not the bursa area. It was very inflamed.
Once again another wait and I eventually rang his secretary because I'm in absolute agony with it.....No exaggeration......I've got an appointment for Friday.
I'm waking up crying every morning .......I suppose that's why I've not been online much recently. Cancelled loads of appointments because I'm not up to it.
I cant keep on like this. I normally have no problems....write out my list and go and that's it....He is nice. This time it is going to have to be laid on thick if you know what I mean.
I wonder is there anything that can be done? I know he said there wasn't but I'm going to ask him again on Friday. I need plenty of help and advice as well as support in my pocket :lol:
I'm a changed person this past month or so......not a glass half full person anymore, half empty is more like it.
I've cancelled loads of appointments, come of loads of committees etc and for those that know me....eg DD and SW :lol: you know that the word rest isn't in my vocabulary
Well what hasn't changed is my rambles.
Sorry
Love
Hileena

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'll be there sorry you are going through it at the moment sending a hug.(()) Mig
  • hileena111
    Thanks Mig

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Hileena, I feel for you and I hope he can do something to help on Friday. As you know I'm no great fan of steroid injections but for you to have had success and then failure must make it worse - believe me it's easier if failure is the only experience. :(

Living with chronic pain is far from easy - one or two currently on here would have us believe that doing so is a matter of choice but we know it isn't. I am sorry that you are having to cut back on your usual activities but I do think that's a good thing - it is frustrating but necessary. I remember your explaining that the fracture isn't a fracture but that's the term the medics use: I find that frustrating too because fracture as we understand it means healing will usually happen whereas that isn't possible in this case.

Good luck on Friday, I will be thinking of you and hope you will be able to update us sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    I knew you would think that....about the activities :lol:
    I know you are no great fan of steroid injections and I know you cant have many of them but at the moment its the only thing that might help.
    As you know {I think} I can self manage all the other pains I have but not this one. It has me beaten.
    I'm on paracetamol full dose and naproxen full dose and codeine 15mg x 2 at night so apart from the codeine there is nothing I can use to ease it at all..
    What I was told was it was an avulsion fracture? not just a clean break....avulsion meaning a stretch in this case the muscles around where the bone fractured.
    For me this isn't ordinary chronic pain.....that I'm used to and can do something about. This is absolute agony and all the normal methods wont work to ease it.
    Thanks for your reply
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I'm not surprised you are feeling tearful and down, the combination of unrelenting pain, lack of sleep, frustration and worry about what can be done is just too much.

I really hope that the consultant really can offer you something positive in terms of treatment on Friday, you've tried so hard to deal with it, keep going and remain positive.

Pop me in for Friday.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Pop me in your pocket too Hileena, I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling so badly, it's relentless and grinds you down to be in pain and losing sleep.

Like you I've had really helpful and utter failures with the steroid injections, and you bank on them working then the disappointment just seems to be beyond the pale.

I really hope that the appointment on Friday is worthwhile. Sending hugs
    (((((((((( ))))))))).

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Resting and cancelling appointments doesn't sound at all like our Hileena. I have also missed your regular appearances on here but there is a time and place for everything and right now it seems you need to put yourself first.

I hope he was wrong when he said there was nothing could be done. As you know, I'm not big on steroids (though my body loves them) especially for those of us like you and I with bone density problems but I see the jabs as being less devious than the pills and, with luck, they might inject in the right place again.

One thought – which probably reveals my entire lack of medical knowledge – once, when having something replaced, I was in hospital with a lady whose THR had caused problems and she had to have it removed. I'm fairly sure there was no thought of giving her another ie that she could manage (maybe not brilliantly) without a hip joint. Might it be worth asking?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Pop me in Hileena, I'll be with you on Friday. I'm so sorry that your suffering and I hope the consultant can sort something for your pain. Take care sweetie. (())
  • hileena111
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for your support and pocket duty
    Lets hope he can come up with something else on Friday

SW.....yes it is not me and if this pain eases a bit I'll probably be bored stiff :lol:
    I don't know how he is going to change his mind after 20 months now. I can only hope.
    Like you my body loves steroids but one of the side effects is thinning of the bones. For us that's not a good thing is it? :?
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Count me in Hileena and you give it to them..and yes everyone Hileena has cut down the volunteering she does..wounders never cease..on a serous note...hope you get some help xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Count me in Hileena lets hope something can be done xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Sorry I haven't replied before now, Hileena. There is nothing worse than continual grinding pain - it is so debilitating, and it's no surprise that your glass is not half-full.

I think sometimes it is necessary to 'let things go,' and concentrate on ourselves - though in my experience those with the worst pain are nearly always the most stoical.

I haven't any wise words, though I know how awful trochanteric pain is, and any injection needs to go into the exact spot for it to work.I wish you good luck for Friday, and hope he can come up with some way of helping you. I'll be with you in spirit.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Count me in Hileena

Can't remember where I am, but wherever it is a bit of me will be in your pocket

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I'll be there, Hileena. I really feel for you and do hope that he is able to suggest something to ease your pain.

Look after yourself.

Meg
  • hileena111
    Thanks everyone......I will be a bit more confident knowing you are all with me on Friday

Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hileena,

Count me in for pocket duties too. Let's hope the appointment is a good one and you get some practical help, advice and suggestions.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    All the best for tomorrow, Hileena. I'll be thinking of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck.Mig
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Good luck tomorrow, hope you can convince him to come up with a plan!
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks Grace, Sticky, Mig and Sharon
    I'm just in the middle of doing my notes for him :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hope all goes well for you tomorrow hileena.

Haven't done pocket duties for a while but will be there.

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • hileena111
    Thanks Ron
    Even if you are out of practice you are more than welcome :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Best of luck tomorrow, Hileena. Hope it goes well for you.
  • hileena111
    Thanks Tezz
    I do hope so....cant stand this pain much more. The rest of my pains I can self manage but not this one !!!!

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I do hope something good comes of your appointment.