Decorating Dilemma.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Dec 2015, 10:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, according to him we have one, according to me we don't. I have gathered five quotes for the complete redecoration of the house (inside and out) and the variation between the submitted sums is quite surprising. The cheapest is £2,300 for both, the most expensive totals just under £7,000 (that takes into account the expense of two men working at the same time, there could even be four which would expedite matters and includes their moving and replacing furniture) the others fluctuate between the two and none mention moving furniture.

I think the following: because he is out of the house for a minimum of twelve hours per day, and will therefore miss the chaos and mayhem, I would like to make the final choice because I am the one who will be living with whoever gets the job. It'll be me who is making tea, enduring a radio tuned to something I wouldn't listen to by choice, me running the risk of having her socks bored off as someone pedantically explains what he is doing and why.

He thinks the cheapest is the best but that is force of habit. I know that the cheapest isn't always necessarily the best and I have said that I am willing to pay for whoever comes. He suggested that we could have a week away (it'll take longer than a week, twerp) - he will still have to work so that would leave me holed up in a hotel or holiday let (costing him money) whilst our house is left in the hands of strangers. I think not. He loathes decorating and there is a lot of house here one way and another. It hasn't been done for years, there is much to be repaired and sorted out internally and I appreciate that we are fortunate in that we can afford to have this done.

In the time since we moved in it's been me that's dealt with all the works that have gone on - all he has done is come home and criticise the lack of progress ( as he sees it). His idea of decorating is a roller in each hand to get it done as fast as possible, no preparation, no attention to detail, who needs masking tape and light switches are there to be splattered. I have higher hopes of the skills of whoever we choose.

I feel I should have the casting vote because it will be me that will be here. I cannot see the point in paying out for me to be shipped off and I don't want to leave the house unattended (as it were). I think this reasonable - do you? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    YES DEFINATELY.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you Mig, that's a boost to my morale! DD

PS Did you find a lovely planter?
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Yes ,I got a herb one and planted parsley ,thyme and mint which is planted still in its pot as mint will spread. Mig
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Definitely - and make sure he knows it!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Absolutely xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Absolutely NO question, DD. Should be up to you.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    What's the matter with him?

Mine would be very happy for me to organise it all, suffer the inconvenience, and not pay for it!

He who pays the Piper eh? :wink:

Go for it girl!

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    110% yes! No question about it.

It can be a very bad idea to leave an OH in charge of something as important like this. If you did disappear, you could return to clashing colours, completely the wrong sort of wallpaper, furniture in completely the wrong places and not a tea bag - or clean cup - in sight!

Do not under any circumstances leave this task unsupervised and make sure someone who knows what's what is there - i.e., you.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you everyone, now to convince The Spouse that this is a good plan . . . he is impervious to feminine wiles so maybe the promise of liver and bacon twice a week whilst the works are going on will be enough . . . DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Alternatively, you could threaten him with take aways for the 6 months or so that his preferred decorator would take.

I am renowned in our family for not wanting any modernisation / improvements for exactly the reason you outline, DD. My days of stepping over wires and plumbers' bags, avoiding tripping over treacherous tarpaulins and – worst of all – having to leap the gap outside the loo whenever the trap door down to the plumbing has to be opened are a nightmare of memories.

Mr SW's idea of decorating corresponds almost exactly with Mr DD's. He throws paint at anything vaguely in the right area, including himself and his wife. Only yesterday he touched up a minute section of wall plus an entire armfull of sweater. But at least he is (a)retired and (b)super quick.

I don't envy you, whatever you decide.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    :lol::lol::lol: That's it exactly, one tiny spot needs doing but other things which don't are roped in for good measure. When Mr DD went to cover some missed areas in his home office he carried the opened paint tin up the stairs, tripped and Jackson Pollocked the stairs (bare wood) and adjoining walls. He then trod paint along the landing carpet and into the room. He noticed the spillage three days later but couldn't glare accusingly at me because I rarely do the stairs - and if I had been carrying paint the lid would have been secured. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    he carried the opened paint tin up the stairs, tripped and Jackson Pollocked the stairs (bare wood) and adjoining walls.

Oooh I like that verb. Is it a DD invention? So …. dare I say it? … spot on :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    yes you are right you know best as we know the ins and out of things.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi DD

Sorry can't help you on this one.I paint and OH wallpapers........ :)

prefabkid
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You have done well to have got as far as 5 quotes. If anything needs doing in this house I immediately get a barrage of why it cannot be done so I've given up.

I don't envy you having strangers in the house, disruption, out of key sing-a-longs and being called darling, sweetheart for days on end but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

I agree you should have the casting vote, although if anything does go wrong it will be your fault for picking the wrong team :roll: .

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,095
    My small input, and excuse any stating of the obvious/repeating of others' points (I'm not at my finest) -

Cheaper is not necessarily worse - example my current central heating engineer who is extremely reasonable compared to most but is conscientious to the point of mania

Expensive is not necessarily better - example my neighbours who think that it is, pay top whack for stuff almost on principle, yet I can think of all sorts of instances where they haven't been pleased with their purchases or the quality of jobs

Word of mouth tops anything else by miles & miles.

If I were you - I would be tempted to hang on for a copper-bottomed recommendation, short of the work being really urgent, and I would be very very tempted to split it and do the inner & the outer as two jobs, to gauge my happiness with the workmanship. Except in the case that you would be prepared and able to cancel a firm mid-job if you weren't happy.

As someone who has never had the chance to be up to my neck in mess & building work, I crave it with a passion, proving as always that the grass is always greener and them that hasn't got, want what them who has don't. Or words to that effect.

Decisions.. :?: :?: good luck with whatever you decide.
  • frogmorton
    toady wrote:
    My small input, and excuse any stating of the obvious/repeating of others' points (I'm not at my finest) -

If I were you - I would be tempted to hang on for a copper-bottomed recommendation, short of the work being really urgent, and I would be very very tempted to split it and do the inner & the outer as two jobs, to gauge my happiness with the workmanship. Except in the case that you would be prepared and able to cancel a firm mid-job if you weren't happy.

Now that idea of Toady's, DD is a GOOD one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you one and all for your input, your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated. I'm pleased to report that I won the argument and they will be starting towards the end of this month - well the painters will. Yesterday an electrician came round to remove picture and wall lights we didn't like or need and to put up two outside lights. I spent the entire day clearing the dining-sitting room in preparation for the plasterers who arrived bright and early this morning: 7.30 to be precise. I got up at six to finish the last straggly bits and do my meth. They hope to be done by 4pm and I have just returned from taking my car in for an MOT and service - I hate being without my car!

The chosen firm are of good repute - we have friends who will not have anyone else due to the high standard of finish so that's good enough for me. The fact that there will be two working is what sealed it for me: the disruption is immense but this is the biggest room - once this is cracked the rest should be a doddle, until they reach the kitchen which has its own complications.

Wish me luck! DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I missed this DD glad you have got sorted..its my dream to go away and have the house decorated all the way through...hope they do a lovely job :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Good luck, DD. I hope all goes well. I am jealous. For all the disruption, it will be worth it in the end. Send the reno's my way, would you? Not a chance it would happen here unless I do it myself and that's not going to happen :zombie-cat: It's all looking shabby around here. At least I don't have to decorate for halloween :spider:
  • dreamdaisy
    Stage one complete. One large ceiling repaired and plastered, smelling of cheesy feet. One shattered householder sprawled on the sofa smelling of Paul Smith Rose. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It's all looking shabby
    You've missed a word out there Boomer - the term is shabby chic and some folks actually pay to have it.
    I had a small shelf unit painted by a local firm and gave them strict instructions that it was NOT to be distressed finish - or I would be distressed, and they would be out of pocket.
  • frogmorton
    Best of luck with it all DD

I'll take my care of tea making for your decorators ;)

b025.gif

love

Toni xxx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi could not agree more!When planning to have any building work done,choose by recommendation.

We recently had a new fitted kitchen.The old kitchen was totally gutted with all new plumbing,flooring and electrics as well as units and appliances.This work also extended from the kitchen through into the lobby and and downstairs toilet.

The company (who also did all the design work) was recommended by friends who had similar work done.We were not disappointed!
    The workman were polite (even shook hands and introduced themselves on arrival!).The foreman liaised between the various trades (all were employed by the company,not all these sub contractors)eg when the units had been removed the electricians arrived followed by the plasterers etc.The workmanship could not be faulted!

The three weeks of upheaval were worth it!

After the work was completed we had a letter of thanks and a bouquet of flowers from the company.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • frogmorton
    Wow Ron!

Wish I lived in Kent still!!

Fabulous service you received there. When we had our kitchen done it took months and was a dreadful experience ::)

Toni xx