Market Thieving Forces

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 3. Oct 2015, 04:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am angry. (Yup, again :o ) When asked what present he'd like us to bring over to him in California our 6yr old grandson asked for a Lego Raptor Escape.

They are sold out virtually everywhere over there but, when available, cost $39.99 at most outlets. Currently, only the big river people have them. Cost – a whopping :shock: $94.95

It's the same here. Despite the UK pound being worth approx $1.5, the same thing here costs £39.99 – or would if it were in stock. Again the big river people have it - £57.97.

He has form on waiting patiently for things he wants so he'll have to do it again. Dad can order it over there for when stocks are available and we'll pay. No way will his Yorkshire grandma be ripped off like that :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Spoken like a true Yorkshire woman!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's the old law of supply and demand, it works for all commodities and in all marketplaces. Mr DD reckons that things are only worth what someone will pay and there is some truth in that. I'm sure we'll see this again as Christmas approaches - as the must-have toy of the year flies off the shelves they'll crop up on E-Cove at extortionate rates - and foolish parents will buy them.

Good for you, and good for your grandson too, it sounds as though he has already learned one of life's harder lessons for little ones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    as the must-have toy of the year flies off the shelves they'll crop up on E-Cove at extortionate rates - and foolish parents will buy them.

and the more foolish ones will buy the cheaper and sometimes dangerous imitations.

Good lesson there - deferred gratification :)

Love

Toni xx