Learning the hard way!

Sharon2960
Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
edited 3. Oct 2015, 06:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
So, on Sunday, I asked our GD, aged 21 months, who was jumping in the garden, if she could hop; then proceeded to show her - flippin silly move! Suffered painful hip on Monday, moving into my thigh and knee yesterday - this morning, couldn't walk - literally! Doc says complete rest and prescribed 30/500 coco; If no improvement in few days, he will arrange x-Ray. His other advice? Show GD how to hop using you tube! now confined to bedroom, as its closest to the loo - when required, I can be seen crawling along the landing! At least I can see the funny side of that tonight - this morning I was yelling and shouting all sorts of naughty words, in between sobbing! A lesson learned I think!

Comments

• Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear that's not good Sharon hope you improve soon.

I once used a PC chair (on wheels) to move about, trouble is you need to use good foot/leg to push yourself along or able to pull yourself with hands grabbing onto door frames and cupboards. I guess it would work if you have a broom in your hands to push yourself along in the chair.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ouch :o Oh dear! I hope it all settles soon, Sharon. Just a moment's lack of thought. So easily done. Now do as the doc says, rest up and...er... hop into bed :wink: Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I too have used an office-wheeled chair to get around on. Go backwards - it's quicker!

Sorry to hear this, I hope everything settles soon and you're not "hopping mad" too much about this. (Sorry - that was irresistible)!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Sharon2960
    Thanks for replies - made me smile! The advice ref wheeled chairs is brilliant - however, we live in a small cottage, with narrow landing and awkward angle to get in the bathroom, as the door opens outwards! Hey ho, I'll make the most of bed rest, and take up all the offers of help! Our daughter will pop in later with lunch - GD will think eating lunch in bed is funny!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It is so easily done, I think we've all made moves we later regret, in my case dancing round the kitchen to some good sounds emanating from Radio 6 on a Saturday evening. The following 48 hours on the sofa were worth it though, it was pleasant having a small taste of my old life again . . . . . but never again. Lesson learned!

I hope things are easing now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I think you're dealing with this very well – doing as the doc said and treating it in as light-hearted a manner as possible. It is, nonetheless, a pain.

Have a lovely 'bed lunch' with the GD and explain to her that some people can hop without ending up on bedrest :sunny:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi there, I hope you are feeling some benefits from the enforced rest. It`s so easy to be tempted into risky activities when we have grandchildren present. I had a fall a couple of summers ago while attempting to play cricket with my grandsons - not really a good idea.

Take care, and feel better soon.
  • Sharon2960
    Thankyou all for your kind words and for not reiterating what a wally I've been! I'm still in bed, not even attempted the stairs, only move to get to the bathroom - I'm managing to hobble there now instead of crawling! It's actually lovely to have the enforced rest - window is open, sun is shining, birds are singing, I've watched next doors gardener working away, watched Dr Foster on iplayer, lunch was very nice (if a little messy with Seren (GD), who ate a sausage roll on grandads side if the bed)! I'll know I'm on the mend when I start getting bored lol!
  • stickywicket
    Well, you've still got your wits about you, Sharon. That was a great move, ensuring the sausage roll was eaten on your husband's side of the bed. Things might be a little restless over there tonight :wink:

You know things are rough when hobbling is the good news. Dear me, woman, what are you like!

Keep doing what you're doing. I hope the sun keeps shining and the birds keep singing :sunny:
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Well, I managed to get downstairs for dinner yesterday evening, and I'm making sure I get up and move around a bit every hour! The pain is nowhere near as bad; bit concerned tho cos my thigh/knee are numb, specially after movement. Doc doesn't seem unduly worried about it, thinks it's probably all part of healing - hope so, we're planning on a weekend in Wells Next the Sea next week to celebrate daughter and hubby birthdays!
    If nothing else, I now know that anything high impact is not a good idea, for me! Have a lovely weekend everyone
  • stickywicket
    Well done on getting downstairs! That's a big improvement on crawling to the bathroom, isn't it?

I guess your doc knows much better than I do about the numbness but I hope all goes well for next week. You seem to be making good progress anyway.

Just remember your age next time :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    I'm hoping doc knows best too - wasn't usual doc, but one on duty - sounded all of 5 years old! So I'm trusting my instincts, and that pain is improving, numbness seems to be lessening - if I'm wrong, I'll just have to go get an x-Ray! Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that. Oh, and I'll try to remember I'm not 18 anymore lol!