It's that time of year

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 14. Oct 2015, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Flu jab time. I've just booked mine and Mr SW's.

Remember they are so important for those of us on DMARDS, anti-tnfs or anything else that depresses our immune systems.

Anyone over 65 can also have a free one as can the carer of someone who's vulnerable.

I like to get mine in early before the 'wheezles and sneezles' season really takes hold.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Got to get mine booked as I need it done before I go in for my bunion operation at the end of October!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ooooh lovely Stickywicket!

You've made my day ;)

s050.gif
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Good morning
    I usually have the flu jab and mine has come through for next Saturday. This year will be my first on methotrexate injections and I usually inject on a Saturday. Should I change my day for meth injection ? Thank you all
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    We have to ring next week so hopefully they wont be long..my son and family pay for theres, and have had them for the last 3 years..well worth it
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    valde wrote:
    Good morning
    I usually have the flu jab and mine has come through for next Saturday. This year will be my first on methotrexate injections and I usually inject on a Saturday. Should I change my day for meth injection ? Thank you all

I'd check it out with your rheumatology helpline or, at least your local pharmacist.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Had mine yesterday when I went for monthly bloods at GP surgery.......happy to report that I haven't even got a sore arm, just a bit overly warm and slight headache. I have to confess to chickening out on my meth injection yesterday as it makes me feel really rough and I didn't want to chance a mixture of the side effects if the flu jab made me feel rough (it does sometimes).

As I have both RA and asthma the flu jab is an absolute must in my world. I was also recommended to have a pneumonia jab, but happily that's a 5 yearly booster so not due for another 3!

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Valde, I remember when I was going to the hospital for my meth injections (always on a Wednesday) and my flu jab was booked for a Wednesday my hospital told me not to attend. It is best, however, to check with your hospital. I am doing my humira today but will miss my Thursday meth as mine is booked for this Saturday and we're going out on Saturday evening - I don't want to miss that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Many thanks all
    I will ring my rheumy nurse to check. I inject myself DD so only go to hospital on my Consultant appointment next November.
    I have had my meth reduced to 20 from 25 as I was suffering very bad nausea. I had a 3 week break from meth and have been back on it for last 3 weeks. Thankfully that has helped as I was finding it very difficult to cope with the nausea even the anti sickness tabs did not help.
    I am not sure if the break went towards the bad flare I have at the moment in my ankles, toes and feet, have had this for 3 weeks now and finding walking very painful. I have Naproxen but reluctant to take as it causes me constipation so taking paracetamol.
    Hope you are enjoying this sunshine.
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, me too which is why I have elected to miss this week's meth. I reckoned that because my 'flu jab has coincided with the week in which I am due to indulge in two injected immuno-suppressant meds, it's wise to give one a miss; as the meth is weekly that's the one that will go by the board. It never bothered my hospital when they were doing it so it doesn't bother me. I will note the fact (and the reason why) in case anyone asks but I doubt they will.

I keep a supply of syrup of figs in the meds cupboard and dried figs in the pantry because I occasionally struggle with 'blocked drains' if I take more than my usual self-imposed allowance of co-codamol (sometimes needs must). My GP has also prescribed docusate capsules which are more potent, so I use those from time to time if the figs are not working their usual magic. Don't be embarrassed to ask about such things - I know it's not easy but GPs are more than used to such topics.

I have never had any trouble with the 'flu jab and I hope you don't either. DD
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I had mine while visiting the gp last week. I was planning to escape and not have it that day because I was feeling so bad, but my doctor convinced me otherwise and it was over and done with before I knew the needle had gone in.

I usually put my flu jab off for a couple of weeks because I hate being given injections by another person, but then I always feel silly when its over and done with because the injection really is painless for me it seems.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I had mine today, so one less thing to bother about.
  • poppy41
    poppy41 Member Posts: 1
    :bouncing-ball: my doctor has already run out so I'm going to try the chemist. Don't fancy flue on top of my other problems.Poppy41.
  • stickywicket
    Hello Poppy41 and welcome to the forum.

Run out, in September :o That's not good, is it? I hope the pharmacist can help but I guess you might have to pay for it from there. And then book to have someone stab you with it :roll: Never a dull moment with arthritis, eh :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    2 weeks mine to be done.

I think worth paying if can't get it free on NHS. Boots and Tesco do them. Who would have thought you can buy flu jab in the supermarket.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I had my flu jab 10 days ago at my surgery. Previous years I've had to pay via T***o for mine (I used my £10 DLA Christmas Bonus for it!) but this year I politely but firmly explained to my surgery that I'm not only a carer to my elderly mum (she's 91 on 9th Oct bless her!), but also my partner. Both have significant health issues. I therefore had mine on the NHS.

I now have a stinker of a cold coming out. This isn't linked to the flu jab in my view as there's been a gap of 10 days, I've never reacted before, and there's been a cold bug doing the rounds in the office where I work. I blame my colleagues for not staying at home when they should have done. I'm finished work for the week, but if I'm not better on Monday when I'm due back in, I'll be having a duvet day!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    I had mine yesterday (apparently it's an inactive kind this year, well it was at my surgery) and I had to giggle when I read the possible side-effects leaflet; it mentioned possibly achy and sore joints. 'I won't notice the difference,' thought I. Twerp.

Last night was a truly miserable one in terms of pain and soreness, not around the injection site, just all over. :roll: Then factor in our being crammed into a four foot-wide bed (we're used to six feet) and him rolling in during the very small hours and not sleeping too well thanks to an over-indulgence of pinot noir - it wasn't one of the better sleeps I've had. :wink: I am, however, feeling absolutely fine so that's a better thing.

Jen? Jabs have been available in chemists and supermarkets for years, I keep trying to persuade 'Im 'Indoors to have one because he's out and about so much but he refuses on the grounds that he's healthy. Silly boy. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I haven't had mine yet. I keep needing to cancel it due to low lying viral infections. :? I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm visiting several nursing homes each week and people who have dementia aren't known for being able to protect themselves and others from snotty bugs. I'm not sure what the answer is.
  • dreamdaisy
    I too am not sure what the answer to that is, Sophie. You definitely need it given the nature of your work. I hope you hit a clear patch and can have it done. DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    It's a triple whammy in the LV household - I get one this week and in a few weeks the mini LVs get the spray up the nose version - it's the first year it has been offered to two year olds. Mr LV can go and get his done at a supermarket like he did last year but hopefully that will mean we are all covered and it's just all the other bugs and germs we have to contend with :trick-or-treat: :zombie-mummy:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Until Mr SW reached the required degree of antiquity to qualify for a free jab in his own right my surgery always offered him one for my protection. Worth asking?
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Until Mr SW reached the required degree of antiquity to qualify for a free jab in his own right my surgery always offered him one for my protection. Worth asking?

My mum registered herself as my carer :roll: and, so she is entitled to a flu jab. Bizarrely, her letter for a "carers flu jab" always comes a week or two before mine!
  • Starburst
    It's a triple whammy in the LV household - I get one this week and in a few weeks the mini LVs get the spray up the nose version - it's the first year it has been offered to two year olds. Mr LV can go and get his done at a supermarket like he did last year but hopefully that will mean we are all covered and it's just all the other bugs and germs we have to contend with :trick-or-treat: :zombie-mummy:

Can't believe those babies are two! :D I heard someone refer to their toddler as a 'petrie dish' which made me smile.
  • stickywicket
    Had it on Sat. Didn't even have time to sit down in the surgery. Superfast. And only an itchy bump to cope with. Easiest ever.
    Steven Wright
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    I've never had a flu jab before and despite working in customer facing jobs nearly all my working life I've only ever had flu a couple of times. I've been disgustingly healthy all my life......Until this spring when all the 'fun' started.
    I've not been able to get a flu jab appointment yet, clinic full, only appointment clashing with something else etc. I thought I'd heard that you shouldn't get the flu jab the same day as your meth day so I checked that with my rheumy when I saw him last week.
    I'm really glad I did. He said flu jab on meth day isn't a problem BUT I should hold off on getting mine for a bit. He says my biggest risk factor at the moment is risk of infection but at the moment my immune system is not able to cope with the flu vaccine!!
    Farewell disgustingly healthy..,.,... It's getting that my 'social life' is visits to doctors and hospitals. Still, I'm alive, maybe not alive and kicking, maybe more like alive and scuffing!!
    (Used to for be for ever getting in trouble for scuffing my shoes when I was a child)

slomo