SHOULDER REPLACEMENT SURGERY BECAUSE OF OSTEOARTHRITIS

paulah
paulah Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Oct 2015, 13:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left shoulder and told that I need a shoulder replacement. I am 48 years old and have spina bifida and am a wheelchair user. I would like to find if there is somebody in the same position as me or who has had a shoulder replacement as I would like to know how they have coped. My consultant has told me that if I have the surgery it will only get rid of the pain but won't make my arm any better, it will be weaker and so I won't be able to do what I can now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Paulah welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Paulah and welcome from me, too. I'm 69 and also a – part-time – wheelchair user. I've had RA since I was 15 and have had both hips and both knees replaced. My shoulders are not good. I have little movement in them but virtually no pain these days.

Shoulder replacements are not as common as knees and hips and, to be honest, I can't remember anyone on here who has had one. I found some information on the Arthritis Research UK site. It's a good, trustworthy site but I'm afraid that's the only help I can manage. Good luck! http://tinyurl.com/nh9e3y6
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • OliverT
    OliverT Member Posts: 26
    I met someone just yesterday who had had both shoulders replaced and seemed to be doing ok - but they didnt have SB, and not a wheelchair user, so not much help there.

I guess you use a manual chair currently - and the issue is possibly not being able to post surgery. The question to ask is what is more important - being able to dress yourself and lift a cup of tea, or self-propel? Through my work I've met many people in similar situations to yourself - and in talking to them the ones who have an easier time of it are those that go for making life as easy as possible, and if quality of life is diminished somewhere, then to boost it somewhere else. If that means using a powered chair, then there's some great ones out there that give a boost to any manual movement of the wheels - and you should still be able to use those to great effect.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello paulah and a warm welcome form me
    Sorry I wont be much help ..mine are hips.. back ..and a few other places I do have OA in my shoulders but just hope it doesn't get any worse, we have Elna on the forum that had her shoulder replaced, so hopefully she will see your thread and give you some advice.
    I really do wish you well with the op if you decide it is the right thing for you..
    Love
    Barbara