Hello :D

Esme
Esme Member Posts: 5
edited 13. Oct 2015, 03:06 in Say Hello Archive
Hello

I'm Esme. I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis. Five years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So to have arthritis on top of the fibromyalgia is something that will take a bit of getting used to. I am due to start methotrexate in the next week or two (when I can get to my doctors to hand in a form I got from the Rheumatology Clinic at the hospital!) and also another medication which I can't remember the name of. Add these two to the other meds I take and I am going to be a literal walking pharmacy :(

I am an avid crocheter. It's the only thing I can really do now that doesn't completely wear me out. I taught myself via YouTube. I am currently making socks, scarves and other winter things to keep myself warm.

I also like cats. I have two of my own. Both are toothless :D

No-one else in my immediate family suffers from arthritis. I asked my dad whether anyone in his family suffered and the only person he could think of was his grandma (my great grandma).

So far, my journey with fibromyalgia has been a long and painful one. Starting this new journey with fibromyalgia plus arthritis is going to be hard for me but I am determined to not let it get me down.

Esme :vampire:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Esme

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It being Sunday evening so be patient if at first things seem quiet.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That's the spirit, Esme. There are quite a few of us on here who have got greedy with diagnoses :wink: I don't have fibro but I do have RA and OA. What type of arthritis do you have? (Obviously an autoimmune type if you're starting methotrexate.) Is the other med hydroxychloroquine? I take both. The meds are an unfortunate necessity and the only things which will slow down the disease. Like you, I dislike swallowing mouthfuls of chemicals every day so I do the vital ones and regard pain relief as an optional extra to be used in time of need.

Although autoimmune types of arthritis can have a genetic element they don't necessarily have one.

Sorry, no cats and no crocheting here. We did once have a gorgeous Siamese but she was easy to deal with and not what I think of as a legwinder – you know, the sort which winds itself in, out and between your legs. I have enough trouble staying upright without that :lol:

If you go on Chit Chat you'll probably find both cat and crochet lovers. I hope we'll see you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Esme, and welcome. You appear to have a very positive attitude, which will stand you in good stead.

I`m sorry you`ve had a `double whammy ` with two illnesses to cope with. I have RA, and some OA. Most of us on here take a lot of meds - before RA I had barely a tablet in the house, but those days are long gone! I was very glad of the prescription pre-payment certificate until I became eligible for free prescriptions by age.

It`s common now to be prescribed two or even three drugs in combination, to control the RA. Have you also been prescribed folic acid along with your MTX?

I`ve never tried crochet - used to love knitting until it became too painful. We`ve never had any cats - it was always dogs with us.

Do keep posting,

Tezz x
  • Esme
    Esme Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Hydroxychloroquine is the other medicine that I have been prescribed and also folic acid to go along with the other one.

I vaguely remember something being said about it being an autoimmune type but it was all a bit of a blur!

I will keep posting on here for sure.

E x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have an auto-immune arthritis, osteo and fibro. I was born with an over-active immune system so, although it was a surprise when it all began, it was a logical progression from the asthma and eczema.

Meth and hydroxy are the standard introductory medications, the folic acid isn't a drug though, it's a supplement to help the body cope with the possible effects of the meth. I am fortunate in that I have no troubles with any of the meds and I hope the same will apply to you, mind you I'm fortunate in that I've been taking various medications since the age of nine or thereabouts so for me meds are not things to be feared.

The standard timeframe for any difference to be felt is given between two and twelve weeks. If you are getting this early enough then hopefully you will feel an improvement. I wish you well, please look around the forum to get a flavour of what we do on here and let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben