Hello

BScot1
BScot1 Member Posts: 3
edited 21. Oct 2015, 04:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I just thought i'd quickly introduce myself before posting some questions elsewhere etc.

42 y/o male and have suffered from joint problems for the last 15-17 years.

I've recently been told that they "believe" that i have arthritis in my lower spine and neck.

Basically i had a fall when i was younger and it resulted in a damaged knee, which in turn threw my back out of line.
My neck injury was caused by a heavy object landing on my head again about 17 years ago.

I've had CT scans and an MRI but that was years ago, and didnt reveal too much.

However, my back is sore most days as is my neck.!!
Every now and then though, both problem areas seem to go into spasm and then i'm knackered for 3-4 days until things ease off.

Anyway, that's it for now.
Cheers

BScot1

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    ModA
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Bscott1 and welcome from me too.

Ouch! And ouch again!

Arthritis can set in at the site of a former injury and it's true that, in trying to 'spare' one achey bit of us, we create problems in another.

I wonder what's happening medically now. Has your doc suggested any more X-rays or scans? Physio? Or just take the meds?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Osteoarthritis often results from joint trauma - I broke my upper left humerus in January 2014 and now that's aching in a very familiar way :wink:

How long ago did you have the Xrays etc? If it's more than three years then it maybe time to have them repeated to see if anything is now showing. The other thought I have is that this could be muscular in nature but I am not a doc. As Sticky said, we tend to hold ourselves differently to relieve one area of pain only to create another - sometimes we cannot win. I wish you well and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

I can`t really add much to what the others have said, just wanted to say hello.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello BScot1 and a warm welcome form me..
    I am a lot older at 65 so I do feel for you...I also have OA in my spine and a few other place..but know what you are going through with the spasms..I think you need to ask for more recent xrays or scans and see what they show..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • BScot1
    BScot1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone

Many thanks for the responses and sorry its taken so long to get back to you all.

If i remember correctly, it's probably around 8-10 years since i've had x-rays.
    I did have a load done and they said it was inconclusive, but it was many years ago, so i might speak with my GP again.

Bascially i've got quite a few joints that are showing the signs, such as fingers, knees and toes where i've had trauma in the past, but i can live with those.

It's the back and neck that are the real problems as theyre in use every day as you move around.

I really do need to get back to the Doc and see what they can do.
    The last physio i had (my back) they just said to take anti-inflam sensibly and remember to take the tablets to protect your stomach lining etc.

They didnt want to send me for an x-ray as it probably wont show anything.

I've actually just went through a major neck spasm which was horrific.!
    Lasted about 5-6 days, and because of the spasm, i couldnt crack my neck (which i do daily) to relieve the pain and the feeling that my neck isnt sitting right (if you know what i mean).

So, mega head ache and neck ache, and having to turn my body to look left and right.!

The thing that's worrying me is that i'm only 42 and it's not getting better.....

Anyway, i think i'll make an appointment with the Doc's and say that i'd like to be checked out and what else can be done re Arthritis etc

Speak to you soon