First Wheel chair use

emmaadams
emmaadams Member Posts: 140
edited 1. Nov 2015, 15:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all i have applied to Red cross to see if i could temporarily use a wheel chair. this will be the first time ive ever used one , im a bit nervous but im hopeful it will help me in being able to go out (other than to the doctors or physio) and see my son do his grading at karate next month .. and to go out trick or treating with the boys net week . im sick of having to miss out on stuff with the boys ....

im a bit peed off though as my Operation was supposed to have helped me with the pain etc but it has made things 10x worse . im in more of a mess now than i was to begin with ...

i think im just having one of those days today :zombie2:

Comments

• ttmc
    ttmc Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Emma,

Hope you do ok with this - I'm in a similar position, in that I will be using a wheelchair for the first time soon. Still awaiting assessment, but it will need to be electric because of my hands at the moment. Hoping there will be times where I can just use a self propelled, or not use one at all ideally! And will have to look at going down the charity route if wheelchair services are not very forthcoming with any help.

Thinking about using one does make you nervous. The things that I'm most worried about with a self propelled chair are how to actually steer it, and use it outside where it's not level - so dealing with curbs or hills, etc. Have you looked into that much, or are you just happy to dive in and see how it goes? I don't know if there's such a thing as 'wheelchair classes', but there should be.

I'm sure it will really improve your quality of life, what you can do, where you can go and mean you're not missing out on the stuff you are now.

Be interested to hear how you find everything getting used to it, and how you get on.

Good luck!
  • emmaadams
    thanks ttmc .. i haven't given it much thought to be honest .i just applied for one and am waiting to see whether or not i qualify or get accepted.. i have no idea how to work one i am hoping to get one that my husband can push or that i can do myself . i am quite fortunate that my arms and hands are not an issue in regards to using one myself.

i think for me its more of an ive lost moment .in regards to the pain im currently in etc .. i just feel like its beat me and there is no way up .. i do have days where its not to bad but im in the middle of a really bad flare

i will keep you posted on how i goet on xxx

Emma x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Emma good for you its not easy especially the first trip but well worth it..I would advice you get a cushion they are not comfy ..no suspension...I bought my own off an Health shop on Eb*y..and its brilliant was a third of the price ..I couldn't use it on my own ..so hubby pushes it ..days out.. going on holiday walks in the park..
    Love
    Barbara
  • emmaadams
    Thanks for the Tip Barbara ill be sure to have a look :) x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Just wanted to say I hope "your wheels" help you to get out and about.

Now for the serious issue. How are you going to "bling" your permanent wheels up? You need to make sure that people know it's your wheels and no-one else's.

Personally, I like a good bit of purple.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, my OH actually got me a wheelchair off ebay, as a holiday wheelchair so my main wheelchair doesn't get damaged. You can get them brand new and for a good price.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I do hope that your wheelchair helps to improve things in your life, Emma.

I'm a newbie wheelchair user, too. Thankfully, I don't need one all the time, but am going to borrow one at the British Museum on Saturday. My son has strict instructions not to go mad while he's pushing me around!

Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Just wanted to say good luck with getting a chair and that I hope it makes life easier for you.I haven't used one myself but do hire a mobility scooter when I visit Lakeside and it makes for an easier day.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • emmaadams
    im going to go have a look now on E**y for one right now . the one im hopefully getting will be temporary but i would much prefer to own one instead of borrowing one . that way i always have it and i can bling it up as you say Graceb ..

i wont be using it permanently as i can walk small distances with my sticks, its mainly for days out and to do the xmas shopping ect ...:)

im getting really excited now about getting it as it will certainly give me the opportunity to finally get out of this blooming house !!! i do go to my mums who lives 2 doors away but its not the same . i am really looking forward to going to the shops and doing the xmas shopping i love going round and seeing all the new decorations,gifts,and seeing all the buskers .. its very festive and makes the run up to xmas festive and fun :) :P
  • ttmc
    Hi Emma,

Really good to see you excited about it now, fingers crossed you get it sorted soon!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hope you find one that suits your needs, there are a good few ones you can get brand new on there for a good price. The 2nd one I have is really good and it's fairly light weight. Go for one with Mag-wheels. That way you don't have any problems with punchers or flat tyres. We always have them with Mag-wheels now.
  • emmaadams
    i will have a look thank you for all your help bubba and everyone else :) xx
  • emmaadams
    well i used the wheel chair for the first time tonight and i must say although i was nervous and a bit apprehensive it was a lot less scary than i though.. no one really looked at me and asked questions as to what happened. what have i been doing now ect as i normally get when i use the Sticks

it felt great to be involved and not miss out on the trick or treating with the boys and family .. i took a blanket with me as it was really cold tonight ,well most of today to be fair ..

i will certainly use it again without fear or shame ...:)

one happy momma tonight xx :pumpkin:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Yippee well done ,so glad you had a good time. Mig
  • ttmc
    Hi Emma,

That's great to hear, hopefully you can enjoy getting out and about now!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Well done Emma! I'm glad you got out and about.
  • emmaadams
    aww thank guys xx

you have all helped out a lot over the past 6/7 months .. i would be lost without you all and your continued support :)

i hope that you all have a great week and if any of you have any need for pocket duties count me in ... this Forum is a wonderful place to meet people who can all relate in some way or another to what your going through .

Emma :D xx