Six weeks post total hip replacement progress report

newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 26. Oct 2015, 12:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All

Today was the magical six week appointment … the consultation with the physio and the Consultant. Best of all, it’s the day of getting rid of the TEDs – what a relief! And I will be able to sleep on my side again without a pillow between my knees as soon as that is comfortable.

I am very pleased to report that my progress is assessed at ‘ahead of the game’. To be fair, I was reasonably fit before surgery apart from the obvious compromised arthritic hip … so I was determined that I would be a well behaved patient and get back to a good level of fitness as soon as I can. There is still a way to go, of course … six weeks is really only long enough for the soft tissue swelling to resolve and the healing, knitting together of the structures is still ongoing. I feel that it is likely to be another six weeks before I can call myself fully recovered.
The consultant was happy with my plan to go back to work on 09 November, which gives me another two weeks to get used to driving again, going to the supermarket, etc, all the every day things which are habitual but very easy to get out of routine in doing.
I know that once I am back at work, and sitting all day, that I will have to be very disciplined about keeping up the exercises, and I still get very tired if I do much, so as I say I think the healing process is still quite a feature in recovery.

I count my blessings that my operation went well and I have not had any post op difficulties or complications, I have been very lucky that it has gone smoothly and I know that this is not the case for everyone. If anyone has any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to ask.

I probably won't post any more updates here, but will say a big THANK YOU to those who have replied to my posts and I wish you all well for your future appointments, surgery and progress. Best regards. Andrea . :P

Comments

• emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Glad to hear all went well today Newhipandy .. :)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    That's wonderful news, so pleased for you. As for exercising when tired from work it is hard, when I had a fairly intense regime my physio recommended in the evening, once I had had a rest and something to eat, I also found it helped to set a reminder on my phone as that way I couldn't just "forget". Do hope all goes well with your return to work, have you considered asking your GP about a phased return over a couple/few weeks?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Good news.

Remember to pace yourself when you go back to work. I agree with Slosh in that you should ask for a phased return to work so you gradually do more every day. Make sure you are moving around regularly. I've had a knee replacement and was told that it could take 18 months before my body fully recovered from the surgery so you may need to be kind to yourself for a while yet.

Please let us know how you are doing when you get back to work.

You've worked hard post-op so well done!

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    i have been reading your updates and i am happy for you that things have gone well. It is valuable for people to read your experiences and it is a great place for support. warmest get well wishes :)