Rhumatology Apt update

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 29. Oct 2015, 14:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw a new Rheumatologist yesterday and she came across as very easy to talk to. She asked me lots of questions and checked my blood results for the last 3 months. Then she started humming and said my inflammatory markers had been low for the last 3 blood tests and how had I been lately. I explained about my flare up and the chest infection, then she asked to feel my main problem joints. Then she started humming again and said I believe you have Psoriatic Arthritis and not Osteo-Arthritis! She explained it to me and told me to reduce the Hydro & Sulphasalquine and come off them both and see how I go from there and if I still feel worse call my Rheumatology nurse and let her know. I left feeling totally confused. I told my OH and he said I would talk to your G.P before doing anything. I don't suffer from any Psoriatic so where did she come up with that from?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This has confused me too, Bubba. If you have an auto-immune form then you should be taking DMARDs to suppress the immune system (to reduce disease activity) but that is not the case for OA, that requires pain relief and maybe an NSAID. If it is OA then you can expect to be discharged from rheumatology because they do not deal with that, if it is an auto-immune then you should not be stopping the sulph. I think you need to seek some clarification, don't you? How about ringing your rheumatology helpline and asking for someone to call to explain? It's very easy to get muddled when in the consulting room, I know I do! DD

PS I have both PsA and OA, the former began in 1997 but the psoriasis didn't appear until 2006 - that was when my label was changed from an unspecified auto-immune inflammatory arthritis to PsA.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Oh Bubba no wonder you were confused are you sure she had the right patient? I had an Opthalmology appointment a few months ago and the consultant had another patients notes up on his computer screen, he couldn't apologise enough when I pointed it out to him . x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    How very confusing for you, and just what you don't need when you're already feeling grotty. I wonder if the rheumy was thinking aloud and hadn't got brain fully engaged and so said PsA when she meant OA? The course of action she suggests would certainly suggest that she thinks you belong in the OA camp, but doesn't tally with what you heard. I do hope you can clear this quickly, and I would be inclined to agree with your OH about being certain before changing anything.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Bubba, has anything become clearer since your post? DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Bubba, has anything become clearer since your post? DD

Going to speak to my G.P on Tuesday, I don't know what to do!!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Here's hoping Tuesday clears up the confusion for you. The uncertainty really isn't helpful is it?
  • dreamdaisy
    He/she might not have heard from the hospital by then - have you also contacted your rheumatology department for clarification? If not that could be a plan even though it's Friday. DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Good luck Bubba, that does sound confusing. I hope you can have it cleared up and know you have the right treatment plan for you.(((())))
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    A quick update on our Bubbadog.

She is safely home from hospital after her operation and although she is in a good deal of pain she is coping ok with the aid of books, TV and Arnie-cat ;)

There may be another op in the offing, but she will discuss with consultant when she sees him/her.

Finally the suggested cessation of the Hydroxy and Sulfa. She is still intending to take advice form her GP. Obviously getting the operation done was priority.

Thanks everyone

Toni xxxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Thinking of you bubba. Mig