This wet weather isn't good for me

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 30. Oct 2015, 18:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's been raining here all day today and last night. As a result I am sore - everywhere. My lower back and the lower part of the back of my rib cage are really sore, but I think some of that will be down to last week's Friday night situation (plse see "that was frightening").

I'm getting referred pain in my left hip which I know is coming from my lumbar spine and affecting my sciatic nerve as I can track the pain across from my spine to my hip. My left ankle (the one I had surgery on in July) is red hot and very swollen again. Both my knees have decided they're not going to miss out on the party and have joined in with enthusiasm.

I somehow suspect I'll be under the shower a lot over the next few days. At least I'll be lovely and clean!

In the meantime, I have a good old fashioned hot water bottle to take to bed.

Dratted weather.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to hear this, Grace - a lot of nasties going on for you to deal with. I seem to get a lot of sciatica these days, & it's not nice.

We can't complain about the weather here oop north - beautiful warm sunshine all week, but change expected next.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    oh dear i hope your doing ok and are not too stiff this morning .. it has been horrid up here as well this week . i live by the coast so its always changing ...

i think there's going to be a lot of flare ups over the next coming months. i just hope we don't get Snow this year .. yes its great for the kids but by heck its horrid for us lot ...

try and get as much rest as possible and keep the heat on those joints . i felt fantastic after my 1 hour ish shower the other day . most of that time was spent with the hose on my knees , i usually use the hot water bottle but must say i found the shower to be more effective ....

wrap up warm if you are going out .. or better yet just stay home its much better and warmer :)

wishing you a speedy recovery from this flare up grace

Emma xx
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your replies. Rained here most of the day so am still sore and stiff.

Another hot water bottle is coming my way in a few moments as heat seems to help.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's been tough for me too. I am staying in bed mostly because my mobility has gone AWOL. Oh the joys of Autumn! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The last rainy spell we had seems to have caused my joints far more problems than usual, so I'm trying to find other reasons for the hurt(abscessed tooth, gut problems, autumnal moulds) as I don't relish the thought of another step change in this tiresome OA.
    Sorry it's got the better of you DD, but a salutary reminder to me that things could be a lot worse so I mustn't grumble - except occasionally on the forum!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Of course you should grumble, what ails thee ails thee and is an impertinence. I admit to being somewhat peeved about all of this, last weekend was spent in a similar fashion and hope that this weekend won't be but we'll see. Luckily Mr DD knows I don't keel over unnecessarily so hopefully he's prepared for another quiet couple of days - it wouldn't do him any harm but being a Bloke . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Oh blah, the weather. I agree and it's not been great here either. So cold, foggy and damp. I can tell what the weather's doing by how I feel, I don't need to look out a window or listen to a weather forecast.
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    I don't think the weather will be good now for a while, i love my new rechargable hot water bottle best £15 i have spent this year on gadgets and 'things' to help keep me hot/cold/feel better! lasts for 5 hours and has a pocket for hands or feet! toasty!! I am an odd one tho even tho the cold does hurt me more i prefer the cold weather as the sun makes me feel ill and headaches are worse - central heating also makes me sick..i am a fussy one! I love the snow but not going out in it..dreading it!!
    Becks :)
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your reply. No the weather won't be kind to us now for a few months but, like you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the white, fluffy stuff stays away. I know children thoroughly enjoy it, but it makes getting around for anyone with mobility issues a nightmare.

My sister lives in Maltby and usually has much worse weather than we do here in Kent. She regularly gets marooned in her place but then she does live at the top of a steep hill which isn't gritted.

We're a bit better off here as although we are at the top of a cul-de-sac and we are the second highest point above sea level in the town, at least we are on a secondary gritting route so eventually the road does get done, which is wonderful.

I have to confess to being a person who, once the evening meal is over, gets under the shower and into my night clothes topped with my purple fleecy dressing gown. I'd live in it through the winter if I could, to be honest! :lol: I also have a lovely "teddy bear" fabric type blanket which I also snuggle into on the settee. A hot water bottle and bed socks complete the "look". Fashionable it's not, but it keeps my joints warm which is the most important thing.

GraceB