On the sofa: time to chat about TV, Films etc

ttmc
ttmc Member Posts: 27
edited 30. Oct 2015, 10:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

I spend a bit of time watching TV due to mobility issues, and I'm sure there's a few others in the same sofa-shaped boat.

The TV has always been sat there in the corner of the room since the 1930s (for some lucky people anyway), babbling on and helping to keep us in touch with the world - or sometimes escape it altogether!

Thought it would be good to talk about what you do and don't like, any memories you have - and maybe even help people discover a new favourite to settle down to when they can.

I'm going to start with my biggest TV love of all... Doctor Who.

I don't expect there are many people who haven't seen or at least heard of Doctor Who. It's been around since Saturday 23rd November, 1963.

If I say 'Doctor Who' to you, there's probably a few things you think of: a blue police box. Those robot things (Daleks). A long coloured scarf, or cheap sets and rubber monsters. Or David Tennant.

An alien from the plant Gallifrey called 'The Doctor', who can change or 'regenerate' his body when he'd otherwise die, exploring the wonders of the universe in his time machine whilst getting chased by monsters.

I started watching Doctor Who when I was 5, and I still watch it now. It scared me, but it was exciting and mysterious, and it felt like The Doctor might just turn up at the corner of your street when you least expect it and who knows where you might end up.

Of course, that never happened (or hasn't yet), and if you ask two fans of the show why they watch it, the chances are they will give you two different answers. If you ask me why I watch it now, it's because it can still sometimes give you that feeling you had when you were 5 - and it can be scary (for the kids), funny, brilliant and rubbish all at the same time! Because it can go anywhere and do anything, you never quite know from week to week what you're going to get. The show was also a very early pioneer of electronic music, but that's another story.

There might be times you don't like it, but there's always usually something to enjoy. And if you're not enjoying it on TV in its current form, well there's 50 odd years of stories on DVD, books and audio adventures so you may never run out!

The current Doctor Who is a 59 year old Scottish actor called Peter Capaldi, and the newest series is currently airing on BBC1 on a Saturday night. If you can grab your child or grandchild to watch it with, even better!

I'm sure we like all kinds of different things between us; so what other TV or films do you think people should try - or avoid! - watching? (The answer to either of these can be 'Doctor Who'.)

Comments

• rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Always liked it with various actors until now. I read that viewing figures have fallen rapidly. Peter Capaldi is far too serious and with very little humour it has become stale. The BBC say they may have a rethink and just make a few 2 hour shows a year.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    My eldest soon hated Dr who when he was young..he is 42 now and love it..its the highlight of the year when this come back
    Mine is Downton Abbey..but you will laugh we are watching the walking dead..very gory but so addictive... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I love Dr. Who, especially the Tom Baker version.

I don't have a favorite series right now but search through free stuff on you tube. We don't really have conventional tv here where I live, so I watch what I can on the internet from my sofa boat. I seem to be stuck in it.

edit: I really liked the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too.
  • ttmc
    rondetto wrote:
    Always liked it with various actors until now. I read that viewing figures have fallen rapidly. Peter Capaldi is far too serious and with very little humour it has become stale. The BBC say they may have a rethink and just make a few 2 hour shows a year.
    I heard there were rumblings, hopefully not an 80s situation again!

I really like Peter Capaldi, but I do think the stories have got a bit samey and they need a new head writer asap. Time for a change :)
  • ttmc
    barbara12 wrote:
    My eldest soon hated Dr who when he was young..he is 42 now and love it..its the highlight of the year when this come back
    Mine is Downton Abbey..but you will laugh we are watching the walking dead..very gory but so addictive... [emoji38]

I've never watched Downton, but I do watch Walking Dead and love that too even if it is scary haha. I've always loved a good zombie though - there are so many films which are just as good as Walking Dead, and not just all gore!
  • ttmc
    Boomer13 wrote:
    I love Dr. Who, especially the Tom Baker version.

I don't have a favorite series right now but search through free stuff on you tube. We don't really have conventional tv here where I live, so I watch what I can on the internet from my sofa boat. I seem to be stuck in it.

edit: I really liked the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too.
    Ah I liked Tom Baker, and been going through a bit of a Jon Pertwee (Worzel Gummage to non DW fans) phase recently.

There's so many good things to watch on YouTube, lots of documentaries which are always interesting.

I loved Hitchhikers Guide, the 80s TV version was great - much better than the film from a few years back!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I wanted to reply but as things are truly grim in my neck of the woods I couldn't.

I was never a fan of Dr Who (I recall the black-and-white days, far too scary) but the theme music is up there as one of the all-time greats (I also include Corrie (don't watch), Z Cars (didn't watch because too young) and Animal Magic (recently resurrected with W1A?)) My neighbourhood google group received an email in September letting us know that the writer of the Dr Who theme tune would be giving an evening talk at a local church (Paddy Kingsland?) I would have gone (was musical) but I had to cook for The Spouse.

I like films, especially those of a quieter more reflective nature, but now my concentration is too weak. The Spouse recently bought Wolf Hall on DVD and that is perfect viewing because I can both pause and rewind. I also loved the Beeb's adaptation of Jane Eyre with Ruth Watson and Toby Stephens, ages old now but so beautifully done. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My relationship with Dr Who:

e035.gif

Without a doubt those Daleks can get me :shock:

Even now when my teenage kids watch it I make myself scarce.

The music to it is enough to chill my bones.....

Good 'chat' ttmc!

Toni
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Not a fan of Dr. Who, I`m afraid. I like a good drama - used to enjoy Morse, and now Lewis, but like DD, I tend to record it and watch it later so I can scroll through the adverts.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I have 2 films that are my favourites the first one is "The Quite Man" and the other one is "Field of Dreams" there is a scene at the end where he gets the chance to meet his father as a young man,I would love to do that with my dad who passed away 23 years ago.
    Top of my tv list would be Holby City and Casualty ,now I know they are not everyones cup of tea but they helped me realise what was happening when hubby was having a stroke. Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    theresak wrote:
    Not a fan of Dr. Who, I`m afraid. I like a good drama - used to enjoy Morse, and now Lewis, but like DD, I tend to record it and watch it later so I can scroll through the adverts.

and you can watch it when there's nothing on!

Mig I don't like casualty now after both my parents died of heart attacks - upsets me too much :( Used to love it 'back in the day' though when Duffy and Charley ruled ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    My fondest memories are of John Pertwee and his assistant Jo Grant, who I adored because she wore such lovely clothes.

For years I had nightmares about the cybermen and can remember hiding behind the sofa when very young. And shop dummies still spook me out.

I have to sleep a lot in the daytime so tend to have Daily politics and news on in the background. Late!y politics has been very interesting so I'm not getting the rest I need.

Suoervet is another favourite and I love the history channel, Saxons to Tudors I can watch for hours.

I never watch soaps.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein