Shaken up

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 25. Oct 2015, 11:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I need someone to tell me to pull myself together !

I didn't go into work today, really after Tuesday and my test I shouldn't have gone in yesterday but that's me.

When I got up today I felt really rough and after struggling up my stairs and taking 15 mins to summon the energy to brush my teeth decided to do the sensible thing and call in sick.

So far so good (!)

Post came so I went to pick it up and the next thing I felt myself falling forwards into my porch. Luckily no serious harm, probably a few bruises tomorrow and I have jarred my arms, shoulders and neck.

But... it was the first real fall I've had, a few near misses before and it's really shaken me up and although it makes me sound like a wimp, I feel shaky, scared and like crying.

PLEASE tell me I'm making a mountain out of a molehill as at the moment I don't feel like going in to work tomorrow. Also, I have a GP appointment next wek. Do I need to tell him about this?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry Slosh, but you`re not making a mountain out of a molehill, and you are doing the right thing by not going in to work. A fall is a very nasty thing, and it properly shakes you up - you will ache in all sorts of places tomorrow.

I do think you should tell your GP, he/she needs to be aware of what`s happened. I mentioned to my rheumy about falls I had, and she explained that due to the RA my feet at times probably did not `pick up` properly, thus causing the falls. What I found most difficult to deal with was how badly it knocked my confidence, as once I go down, I can`t get myself back up, which made me wary about going out on my own.

You are most definitely not a wimp - even painfree folk would be shaken after a fall, and it`s so easily done. Just take things easy, rest up, and forget about work for the time being.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    You are definitely not a wimp, nor making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree with everything Theresak has said. Take good care of yourself, rest and recover from your fall. Definitely mention it to your GP next week.

((()))

Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    You are most definitely not a wimp....you are strong lady who endures much and deals with life head on. A fall is enough to shake any one up, and dealing with your level of pain and difficulty it's even more un-nerving, so rest, ring in sick for the rest of the week, and if tomorrow brings more sore places than expected think about trying to see your GP sooner to get checked out.

Take good care of yourself.

Deb xx
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Oh dear slosh i do hope your ok .. and NO you are not a wimp or making a mountain out of a molehill either... i would certainly ring work and tell them you wont be in for a few days i would consider ringing your GP in the morning just to get yourself checked over ....

you are one of the most loveliest people i have met ( virtually) sometime we need to lick our wounds and have a good cry..its nothing to feel bad about .

your confidence is bound to be pushed, and anyone who has had a fall would be shaken themselves regardless of their health problems .

hope you feel better soon and you wont be in too much pain tomorrow xx

Emma xx
  • Slosh
    Thank you all, even though you have made me feel like crying again!

Just had a nice hot bath (my bath lift makes a big difference there) and a lie down as I finally had the confidence to venture upstairs.

Think it was the shock as much as the pain, it wasn't a trip or a slip, I just went. Still feeling shaky, this is just not like me, but feel pleased I wasn't in school as I can imagine the fuss if I had fallen there.

No sprains or anything, but just aches and a couple of bruises, worst is the shock and the effect on my confidence.

As it's half-term next week if I'm not in tomorrow I will need a sick note but I know my GP will give me one.

More or less decided not to go in and I have warned the head and deputy.

Once again thanks one and all, I don't know how I'd manage without all of you, and thank you Emma for your lovely words.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    The rest of them have said it all Slosh with what you put up with you are certainly not a wimp, like the rest I would try and get a quicker appointment with your doc to get checked out. Hopefully your hot bath will have helped to ease things a bit, nice early night with a hottie...............take care ((((())))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with the others.

Having a fall is a shock to the person, and it knocks your confidence. You also worry is it going to happen again? Please tell your GP about this so that if nothing else s/he can reassure you it's either one of these things or can give you advice as to how to try and avoid another in the future.

Hope you're not too stiff and sore in the morning.

Be kind to yourself,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    (((((()))))) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Of course you're not making a mountain out of a molehill, far from it. Tumbles are frightening, unsettling and they can diminish our confidence for some time after the event. I hope you are not too battered and bruised and yes, you should tell your GP and also let your consultant know - it's sensible to keep everyone on the medical side in the loop and, because they know you as they do, they will know you are not being dramatic. I hope you are feeling better today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thank you all, for your advice, wishes and understanding.

Not too bad today but stiff and achy, especially my shoulders which makes using crutches fun! I'm sure you will all be pleased to know I have followed your advice and taken today off.

You are right, it is my confidence that has been shaken, but it does help to know that how I felt yesterday and to a lesser extent today is "normal".

I have logged it in my diary and will discuss with my GP next week.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    What a horrid hing to happen, no wonder you're all shook up. I imagine that the 'no reason' side of it isn't helping as it means there isn't anything you can fix, such as an errant mat, or badly fitting footwear, which leaves that unsettling 'will/when/where' about it happening again - the lack of control.
    Definitely mention it to the GP, and in the meantime take care and be kind to yourself, you've had a nasty shock physically and also to your confidence, both of which will take time to settle.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    No your not making a mountain out of a mole hill Misses! You know what happened to me three times end of April! The 1st time it happened I was majorly shaken up. I didn't feel safe, I didn't trust myself plodding around the house. I didn't have the stairlift then as well so stayed on the settee. But you know what happened after the 1st fall. I would certainly see your Doc. It's a shame you couldn't of gotten in yesterday as an emergency and yes I would class that as an emergency! Take it easy over the weekend, don't do too much and if you feel the slightest bit off stay seated! Sending you (())'s.
  • Slosh
    Thank you both. Physically I'm not feeling too bad, think I was lucky in that respect. What I'm finding harder to cope with is the massive loss of confidence. I'm not too bad moving around the house but the thought of going out terrifies me. The real reason I didn't go in to work today is this fear, and in terms of work not only having another fall but the fear of being knocked over, although our pupils overall are beautifully behaved and I'm careful to avoid moving around when the pupils are going out to play etc.

Really angry with myself and wondering whether I should force myself to go out today or not but silly though it seems (to me at least) I just start shaking at the thought of it.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I think that`s a natural reaction, Slosh - it certainly happened to me. We are both retired, and often do things together, but the thought of going out unaccompanied made me feel ridiculously `clingy,` and scared to go anywhere.

I allowed myself some time to `wallow,` ( wimpy, I know!) then began with short distances. For instance, OH would come with me into town, and we`d walk from the car-park together, then I would go to one or two shops, with the arrangement to meet up shortly. This seemed to work for me, though I still hate cobbles and tend to walk around with `eyes down.`If I use both sticks, people seem to give me space, and I just have to take my time.

Good luck - but don`t beat yourself up about it.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Please don't be angry with yourself, the loss of confidence is very difficult to deal with, and you are not 'failing' by being unable to get up and carry on as if nothing happened.
    After I fell down stairs I completely went to pieces each time I had to go up or down in the house, and felt very panicky getting around outside, neither helped by my bad lumbar OP scores feeding the 'what if scenario'! I was definitely better with company - stairs and trip hazards at work were much easier to face and deal with, knowing there was help available if necessary.
    I didn't have so many unpredictable factors (such as pupils!) to deal with though and can see that that aspect won't help your worries.
    Forcing yourself to go out is not the way forward I think, especially if the thought of it makes you shaky - that way lies panic attacks, but like getting back on a horse after a fall, it's something that will need to be faced. Can you get someone to accompany you for a pleasurable purpose and provide distracting conversation for a short outing? I see Theresa is of the same mind.
  • Slosh
    I did go out this afternoon, drove to my favourite tearooms which I can park near to and treated myself to tea and cake. Felt better for doing it.
    Julian of Norwich
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Glad to hear your doing OK physically today Slosh .. it will wake time to get the confidence back .. it is OK to feel scared and shaky at the prospect of going out alone especially around busy places.

hope you have a good weekend and take it easy :)
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Hi Slosh,

So sorry to hear about this, I agree with what people have already said, you're not making something out of nothing, it can be a bit of a shock when something like that happens.

It sounds like you're experiencing quite a bit of anxiety about it happening again, and that's making you wary thinking about going out.
    I think that's probably understandable initially as you're still processing what's happened, but perhaps if those thoughts continue it might be worth mentioning them (feeling anxious about it) to your GP or someone?

I hope you have some rest time now to loom after yourself and that you're feeling alot better soon x
  • Slosh
    Thanks, I'm feeling better now and back to my "normal ". I did face my fears and go out for a while on Friday but will mention it to my GP on Wednesday.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Glad your feeling better today Slosh and that you are going to mention to your GP xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Well done for facing your fears and going out (cake is the perfect incentive). I hope your GP is helpful on Wednesday and I hope there are no more shake ups. Take it easy Slosh ((((()))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter