noisy/irritating Neighbour

emmaadams
emmaadams Member Posts: 140
edited 11. Nov 2015, 12:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Good evening or should i say morning ?? it depends on which way you look at it lol ...

Anyone have an annoying Neighbour ??? i do i have known him for a long time (i live on the same street as my mum who lives next door-but-one , on the other side of said Neighbour) they are always banging around,running up and down stairs,Tv blaring out, windows slamming ect ..baring in mind there are 2 women and one man in this house . one of the women is a 17 year old ..

i don't usually mind as were not exactly quiet ourselves .

However over the last month or so things have been carrying on late into the night .. like tonight for instance they have been banging around since around 8:30 and are still at it now at almost 3 AM ..it is not constant and it sounds more like cupboard doors opening,his girlfriend/daughter going up and down stairs , getting a bath .. its just your usual pottering around/ decorating as they have had a new bathroom and kitchen .. but i can here almost every word they are saying and the constant swoosh of draws and cupboards banging is beginning to drive me NUTS !!!

it always starts at around 8/9PM and continues until after midnight .. i don't really want to say anything to him as i know we can be loud .. especially my boys Lewis(9) and Riley (5) not to mention the OH who is louder than the kids lol ...luckily its not disturbing the boys but some nights it wakes me up

any ideas or am i just being one of those grumpy neighbours ??

hope you all have a great night for Halloween i wont need any make-up tonight for my costume i will look old and hagered from lack of sleep

:zombie2:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear Emma :?

Bit of a tricky one this.

I always reckon it's easier to be 'friends' with next door-but-one :roll: Attached neighbours are bound to get on each others' nerves I suppose.

I wonder if the renovations they've done have included wooden/laminate flooring?

That would explain a lot of the noise.....

No advice to give as I hate falling out with neighbours :(

Just sympathy

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh I feel for you , my youngest son has neighbours that are up all hours watching films..and they wake the baby..he was cutting the grass at the front its a shared drive..so he cut there's..and when they thank him he asked would they mind being a bit quieter has the baby has them up..sorry to say it worked at first then wore off..good luck..I agree with Toni much easier to try and stay friends..
    Love
    Barbara
  • emmaadams
    thanks guys .

it is a tricky one to be fair.. i think im just gonna have to put up with it lol .. i dont mind most of the time as like i said were not overly quiet . i do think it was just the way i was feeling last night , ive had a bad flare and i was up most of the night in pain.. i dont think my Meds are working again ...

thank you anyways xx
    :zombie-mummy:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Aww Emma :(

I do hope you feel better soon.

We're looking at downsizing soon and to be honest I am actively looking for isolation!!!

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    I've had to deal with this in the past.

I made friends with the neighbours as much as possible ( if you're not already maybe you could pop round with a jar of homemade chutney or a neighbourly gesture...invite in for drinks/ pre xmas coffee and mincepies ???)

Then you could bring in to the conversation how you hope your children aren't disturbing them, as you know they can be noisy and the walls are so thin. Say you can even hear them walking upstairs, so you're sure you must be disturbing them? If they say 'no' then say " Oh really? Maybe it's just that we have carpet or something to absorb the noise?"

You could also indicate that you have health problems and go to bed early " Maybe I'm just sensitive as I'm in pain with my arthritis. It's so annoying!" Then change the subject so it dosn't seem too obvious.

Best to stay friends rather than it lead to hostilities, so you need them on your side. Offer to keep an eye on their house when they go away etc.

Good luck!

Trisha
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    My ex and I once had a rather interesting next door neighbour.
    She was a single woman
    Not really about during the day
    Lots of noise everynight...groaning, panting, rhythmic thumps/bumps, and shouts of a man's name...different every night.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Slosh wrote:
    My ex and I once had a rather interesting next door neighbour.
    She was a single woman
    Not really about during the day
    Lots of noise everynight...groaning, panting, rhythmic thumps/bumps, and shouts of a man's name...different every night.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions

I've concluded that your ex neighbour was a very helpful, health conscious lady who did her gym workouts at night and was trying to name a forthcoming baby boy! :wink: You know I'm right :lol::lol:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Now that didn't occur to us.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • emmaadams
    OMG !! now that has just made me giggle Slosh !!

i wonder what she was up to ??/ lol

i am quite fortunate that i do know the Neighbour very well as i actually grew up next door to him (on the other side ) i live next door but one to my mum hehehe. he does know about my current health situation and does ask how i am when he see's me ...i do feel awful as he is a great guy. but like i said it might just have been me and the way i was feeling that night it was a really bad night ... it wasnt so bad when he was married several years ago . but since his girlfriend moved in around 2 years ago its just got louder and louder ... it is mainly her that i can hear

i haven't really noticed any banging but i can still hear them going up and down stairs and the T.V ..
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I know we have paper-thin walls, because you could hear everything next door and the TV was so loud you couldn't hear your own TV, so I try to keep our noise down but with 2 teens and 1 nearly-teen it can be difficult. Now we have the quietest neighbours ever and if I didn't see them leaving the house each morning I'd assume the Dad had put them under the patio!

Glad you get on well with the neighbour but not sure how you can broach the subject if its his girlfriend that is the noisy one. They probably just don't realise.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein