Yet more new technology so more frustration

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 12. Nov 2015, 17:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm still getting to grips with my new laptop so the last thing I really needed was to have a mobile phone change but life isn't like that!

Where I work the signal for my phone has never been great, it was just sufficient to get texts and phone calls, but for the last week it was so appalling in that it was non existent. I've had problems before and I need to be contactable due to my partner's health and also for my Mum.

I rang the provider, who will naturally remain nameless, and spoke to someone in their technical department who, after asking me a few questions, put the phone down on me! Charming. That was the last straw.

I left work Wednesday at 1pm and by 2.30pm had paid to get out of the balance of my contract and started the process to move my number to another provider. I'd taken a spare "pay as you talk" mobile (different provider) with me Tuesday when I realised I had zero signal and that phone had full service. I also know that further provider's signal is fine in the office.

The switch hasn't happened as yet, although it should have done so I'll be going into the shop tomorrow to chase this. I got a good deal with a cash back deal, a trade-in value for my old phone and a managers discount as I'd used the branch lots of times before. My original provider rang me today in response to my complaint from Tues; I explained what had happened and they've given me a further £12 credit which was my monthly fee. So, all in all, this will have cost me about £30 to transfer.

Now I've just got to get my email account linked to the phone - which is causing me problems, and get a Bluetooth for the car as the built-in one in my car won't pair as the phone's technology is too new for the car.

And I thought technology was meant to make life easier ...
:roll:

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm absolutely hopeless with technology - just reading your post has left me dizzy!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace I have just been through this and got the Tshirt...I would love to go back to when life was simple :roll: ...hope all is sorted now..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I only use my phone for texts and for people to contact me so I have a really cheap contract. In fact a PAYG would be much better as then there would be no problems with cancelling costs and porting over a number..

I'm wondering why you cancelled your contract. You could have bought a new unlocked phone and used your old sim with it and continued on your current contract. Most people who experience problems before a contract ends just buy another phone to use until the contract ends and then either get an upgrade phone when the contract ends or get a new phone/contract.

Did you continue with the old provider but start a new contract because the signal problems might still be an issue?

I hate dealing with mobile customer services as they are awful and have a terrible reputation for giving bad advice. I do all my research beforehand.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    My last phone was good and I was very happy using it. My problem was the lack of signal where I worked - and increasingly at home. To check the situation I took a PAYG phone on another provider in to work and that had full signal, whereas my contract phone had nothing.

So the contract had to go, although I knew that with it not being due to end until next Aug and the earliest upgrade date being Jun next year, I'd have to pay a fee to get out of the contract and move my number to another provider.

I seem to have got most of the issues sorted, although I had to go to the phone shop today to query why the number hadn't transferred from my old provider to the new one. When they checked the system, they found the "transfer" date is actually next Monday - 2nd Nov. As a result of the delay, my 14-days when I can make sure the coverage is okay will start when my number switches, which should be Monday. If it doesn't happen, I've got to call back into the shop Tuesday and they'll find out what's going on for me.

I've got a Bluetooth to use in the car (which the chap in the shop paired for me), the phone now has a cover, and I have a Microsoft account set up so the phone will update as needed.

So progress appears to be being made, which is good.

GraceB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Don't you just hate technology?!!

I've read this thread from beginning to end and Grace - what a nightmare :roll:

At least you're getting there now and can talk safely in your car if anyone rings you.

Hope number changes over on Monday.

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    Well it's all sorted now but it took a week, and a total of 4 visits to the phone shop. :roll: I have to admit the visit yesterday wasn't one I wanted to make and I threw the bag and box onto their counter and made it extremely clear I wasn't impressed.

Last week I was told my number would transfer over last Thurs(I went into the contract last Weds), nothing happened by last Fri so I went back to the shop. They checked and found out my original provider had changed the swap over date to Mon 3rd Nov.
    Had to go back Tues if it hadn't changed.
    Tues saw yet another visit to the shop when I was told my previous provider had released my number, the new provider had put me onto a temporary number and not my old one which I wanted to keep. Was guaranteed it would happen Weds 4th between 11am - 1pm.
    I finished work at 1pm yesterday (4th), phone was still showing my old provider. Hence the visit to the shop again when I had my mini-strop and it was finally sorted. They claimed there'd been a "technical hitch"!

My 14-days to check coverage okay therefore started yesterday. I've got a full signal at home, 75% signal at my Mum's (which is good for there) and now just need to check at work when I go back next Mon. I'm hopeful as I really don't want to have to move again.

My new provider has already sent me all the paperwork I need and I've had a text saying they're taking the first payment on 8th Nov. Once I've had my final bill from my old provider I'll put stop that Direct Debit.

Quite a palaver but I'm hopeful that all this hassle will have a positive outcome!

Thankfully I'm persistent and a typical Taurean - stubborn!

GraceB
  • GraceB
    I'm delighted to say that my new phone works well in the office so I don't have to change to yet another provider!

Although I'd bought an independent Bluetooth it was nagging away at me that I had this technology built into my car so being a typical Taurean - stubborn - I had another go today at getting my new phone to link up to the Bluetooth built into the car and it's now linked.

I intend to take the independent Bluetooth back to the shop tomorrow to see if I can get a refund as it's not been used. It's all boxed up, I have the receipt and I've only had this just over a week. If they won't take it back we have an "intranet" at work and there's a section where we can sell personal items or give things away. Someone within my organisation may be wanting a Bluetooth gadget and if this is the case I may be able to get some of my money back. It's worth a try!

GraceB