I had a fall

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 11. Nov 2015, 05:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have not been online here much recently as I was plodding on and helping my Dad with his chemo appointments, and going to my appointments.
Dad is doing ok, next treatment this week.
I was still having issues with my back and have another epidural in a couple of weeks in theatre. My right hip has still been weak but I keep up with my physio.
Well, yesterday I slipped in a cafe on a wet floor/leaves and fell heavily onto my left THR, banging my arm, my right knee and hurting my right hip badly. I was taken via ambulance to A&E, and had several x rays which found that the wires around my great trochanter have snapped on my right THR. I am on crutches and the orthopaedic dr said I am to go back in a week . It is apparently a big op to fix the wires, so I hope it settles down. I have a lot of sciatica and nerve pain today, and am finding lots of bruises! My left arm has a big lump and is badly bruised.
I am so annoyed and frustrated at this happening! Lots of rest. Using the crutches hurts my arm and back.
Who knew leaves were so dangerous!!
I hope everyone is keeping safe and warm x
NB

Comments

• Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So sorry nearlybionic, I hope this phase you are going through passes or eases for you real soon.

x Jen x

:zombie-mummy:
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Nearly bionic
    i'm so sorry this has happened to you you don't need anymore you have enough to put up with.
    take care and good luck when you go back I will be thinking of you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    So sorry to read this ,it can give you quite a shock. (((()))) Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi NB
    I'm so sorry...as you know I know all about pain in the trochanter area. You had the wire put in when you had your THR I take it? A fracture then?
    You take care and rest...I know its a nuisance and its not easy for me to do anyway :lol:
    Love
    Hilena
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So sorry to hear that and you have my sympathy. I do hope they are able to sort out the wires etc out quickly. It's easy to forget the hidden dangers of things like damp leaves. Take it easy.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    What a horrid thing to happen and just what you don't need.
    Who knew leaves were so dangerous!!
    I've long been wary especially of the wet big ones, and let's not forget what they can do to the rail network...
  • mig
    How you feeling now NB ? Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello NB I posted yesterday on this and its has disappeared..strange things going on..its good to see you on the forum but so sorry you have had a fall..that is all you needed...I hope the wires right themselves then there is no op needed..its the shock that can hit you after..so be careful and have some me time...will be thinking of you dad and hope the chemo is really successful..(()) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thank you all for your lovely replies.
    Hileena- the surgeon who did my 2nd THR always wires the trochanteric area after THR. I asked him at the time if they come out and he said only if they cause a problem. I hope it settles down as I really don`t want another op.
    Daffy- this leaf was indoors, had blown in through the door of a cafe. Floor a bit wet too put only noticed this when I was on the floor!

I am feeling very sore today , aches in lots new places today. I feel like I have been knocked down by a steamroller. My shoulder, my arm, my knee, and still my back and hips. Nerve pain awful too. I have had a hot shower to try to help with bruising/stiffness. Now sat with feet up.
    Thanks again for your support xx
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, I feel for you. I've long-regarded leaves as far more hazardous than ice simply because we don't walk as carefully when they're scattered like soggy cornflakes. Ice cannot be seen so clearly so we exercise far more caution, daft isn't it? I hope things are not quite so sore today, keep up with the dullers, try witch hazel for bruising, and rest as much as you can. Tumbles not only hurt our bodies they affect our confidence too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks DD, you are right leaves are a hazard, but I didn`t think I needed to look out for them indoors! I am wary now walking about and that is in my own home. I feel I would need someone with me for a while outdoors til I get my confidence back.
    Lots of sciatica/neuropathic pain today especially in my right leg. My right foot is numb then pins and needles. I have spoken with my GP who has advised I increase my Gabapentin. I have tried to bring my Epidural injection for my back forward to this week, but they have no theatre space this week, so Friday 13th it is then :shock:
    I took extra amytriptiline last night so slept a little between waking for pain relief. My shoulder feels a bit less painful today which is good when using crutches.
    I hope everyone keeps warm and well today x
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Wherever they are they're a menace. Shop floors are slippery to start with, I regularly clear the ones that gather in our porch and inside the kitchen door - I too learned the hard way. Re-gaining confidence is far from easy but I am sure you will. Keep up with the dullers etc. and I hope things continue to improve. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things going now? I hope you are feeling better and have regained some confidence. DD
  • nearlybionic
    Hi DD
    Thanks for your message. I am feeling less sore on my left side, which is good. But am still having pain and trouble weight bearing on my right leg. My main problem is nerve pain and numbness/sharp pins and needles. I am upping my Gabapentin slowly as advised by the GP but not noticed any improvement yet, but it is still early days I guess.
    My lovely daughter came home from Uni to visit me this week for a couple of days and took me out in her car to visit my Mum who is also out of action due to having 2 toes fused. We had a lovely lunch together, and I got to venture outdoors. I am still worried about going out on my own, but I will get there.
    I was contacted by Wrightington hospital who have requested and looked at my X rays from my local hospital and confirm there are 2 wires snapped around the osteotomy site of my greater trochanter. They have made me an appointment to see my consultant in a couple of weeks, and will let my physio know to assess my sciatica / numbness when I go next week.
    Hope you are keeping as well as can be xx
    NB
  • mig
    Hope they sort you soon NB,when you have a minute can you just explain about the wires and so on please I don't know anything about them.(((()))) Mig
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Mig
    With my 2nd THR I had a different surgeon who during the operation performs an osteotomy by cutting into the greater trochanter bone at the top of the femur, so he can access to the inside of the femur to prepare it to have the stem of the hip prosthesis implanted. After this is done he wires around the greater trochanter to keep it in place to help with healing and keep things stable. (I think!!) I asked him about the wires after the op and he said they can stay in as long a snot causing any issues. And up to now I have not known they are there except for on x ray. I am hoping that it will settle down on it`s own, and with help from my epidural injection I am having done in theatre next week to help my lumbar spine issues.
    Take care x
    NB
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    i do hope your feeling better today .. it sound like you had a very nasty fall..i hope that they dont have to do more surgery . try and rest as mych as possible .

hope you are soon on the mend hope you are well today xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry to hear about your accident NB hope the Gabapentin is starting to kick in now and you are getting some relief (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Villier
    It seems to be helping a bit now. I slept a little better last night, only waking once for tablets.

I have just been looking at my calendar and I have a really busy week with appointments! My only day off is Monday.
    Tuesday is GP, Wednesday is Physio, Thursday a hospital appointment (follow up after colonoscopy), and Friday I have to be at the hospital at 7.30 am for my epidural injection in theatre. This is going to be a push at it is not at my usual hospital and it is further away. Poor Mr NB will be rushing around dropping me off, dropping my son at college for 8am in another town, and get himself to work!!
    Any pocket duties will be welcomed!!
    NB
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Count me in for as many pocket duties as I can make.
    I've a consultant appointment and a GP appointment. Cant think what else or when and I haven't got my phone here
    Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Hileena
    Thanks, I will try to be there for you too. Busy week all round x
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased you have ventured out, that is a goof thing and will help the confidence. This week sounds to be busy so rest up as much as you can today to help you prepare for the onslaught of appointments etc. I'm a firm believer in rest helping the body to recover from all kinds of trauma including surgery and tumbles. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh poor Nearly :(

That sounded scary and the consequences very painful :(

I hope you continue to improve now and wish you best of luck with all those appointments! (Hileena you too!! :) )

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    thanks Toni for your reply. I have been to see my GP today to get my sick note and discuss medication. She is so kind, and I am very lucky to have such a good practice overall. Physio tomorrow, so I am expecting a painful day afterwards!!

I am much the same today except I have now got a stinking cold and sore throat too :roll: Hey ho!
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Oh NB, so sorry you had a nasty fall, hope you mend quickly! And now you have a bad cold and cough so another thing to deal with! Hope you feel better soon from that. Will that effect your epidural injection on Friday? I can be in your pocket for Friday but not Thursday as I have my own hospital appt.