GP Bispham, Blackpool

Options
gilly1957
gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
edited 3. Jan 2016, 12:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I realize this is a long shot but can anyone recommend a GP near to me? I had a difficult appointment today with my current GP who is normally very good. I have osteo arthrits in my left knee and right hip, finger and probably elsewhere as well, and degenerative disc disease the length of my spine. I am taking tramadol maximum dose and paracetamol, and at night nortriptyline. Also being treated for depression and am taking citlopram . I saw my GP today about depression and I mentioned I have been in a lot of pain with my lumber spine, she weighed me and I have put on weight, i have always been large but she said my extra pain is because I have put weight on. I do go to a gym 3 times a week(women only) so feel reasonably fit but cant do much because of pain. At the moment the minute I stand up the pain starts and I am fed up with it. I feel let down and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice. Thank you.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't recommend a new GP to you as I don't know your area well enough but I am wondering, after reading your post, if that's really what you want. You say your current GP is ' normally very good' and it does sound as if this might be a bit of a knee jerk reaction to an appointment that was disappointing.

What were you hoping for and / or expecting?

You say your appointment was for your depression but you also mentioned the pain. I know that sometimes, in some surgeries, an appointment is for one problem only though, of course, ongoing pain can be a prime cause of depression.

It can be very disheartening if we think we are doing our best to self-manage our disease yet the doc makes remarks that suggest we could do more. You are taking some quite strong meds and, with arthritis, the GPs really have little to offer us except more pills and exercises. You say you are already going to the gym but I guess that might not be the best sort of exercise for your particular joint problems. I don't know. Certainly carrying too much weight does stress the joints. Might a different exercise programme be better? Is it worth asking to see a physio? Or can you do that with your instructor at the gym? Exercise is vital for keeping muscles strong and supportive and keeping pain levels down. Maybe a change of diet might help. If I need to lose a few pounds I just stop buying the bad stuff like biscuits or cakes on the groiunds of what I don't have I can't eat.

Pain is, unfortunately, a fact of life for us. It's not going to go away. There's no magic bullet. We just have to learn to live with it, minimise it as much as we can by the choices we make and then – as it's not serving any useful purpose - ignore it as much as possible.

Have you tried clicking on the small black button 'managing arthritis' near the top of the page? It gives lots of tips aboiut how to cope.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you had a disappointing appointment - I can certainly empathise having had a bad experience with a new GP myself. I would agree with Stickywicket though - if the GP is normally good is it worth seeing her again and talking through what you were hoping for?

I have OA in knees and a problem with my lower back which I've had since a bulging disc nearly 30 years ago, and I have to say one of the best things I have done for myself is to lose some weight. I joined a slimming club (and I know of a friend who was referred to one by her GP) and, having lost almost 2 stone, the relief to both knees and back has been significant. It wasn't something that I felt brilliant about doing the first time, but the diet was simple and tasty (lots of minor adjustments and just being aware of what I put in my mouth made a huge difference) and I felt more able to stick to it knowing that I would weigh in once a week - the support was brilliant. There was a very inspirational lady there who started out on a mobility scooter for joint problems and is now much more mobile and gets around with a stick. Would it be worth considering? A real bonus for me was feeling in control of something, which helped with my depression too.

I really hope you have a better experience next time - I know I'm always upset and weepy after an appointment and I think this is because I am still adjusting to the progression of the disease (and I can' help hoping there might be a magic bullet this time...).

Sending you a hug
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Options
    hi im in Fleetwood so the only places i could suggest would be whitegate drive ( although this is more for emergencies ) or my 2 local ones belle vue at broad way or Mount view practice ( where i am at )

i am sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain . i too wish there was a magic bullet /pill that i could take and i would be normal and pain free again ... unfortunately it doesnt exist ..

i do agree with Sticky though maybe moving to a new GP might not be the best thing for you , as you said she is normally pretty good... it took me a while to get a great doctor and he is very sympathetic to my knee and pain problems which are getting much worse ...

i do hope you feel some what better soon xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    How are you feeling now, gilly1957? Did anything we said make sense? Will you change your GP?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Popsmith1874
    Popsmith1874 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I felt like that the other week when I came out o my rheumy appt because I felt she wasn't listening to what I was saying to her, but when I got home I bucked up and said to myself carry on and don't let it get you down, I find that the rheumy nurse is more help so it's onward we go take care
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I felt like that the other week when I came out o my rheumy appt because I felt she wasn't listening to what I was saying to her, but when I got home I bucked up and said to myself carry on and don't let it get you down, I find that the rheumy nurse is more help so it's onward we go take care

Hi Popsmith, oh no that is really disheartening as i have finally got my gp to refer me to a rheumatologist, as she is convinced i have OA but for various reasons i am sure i have an autoimmune arthritis, so i want to get this sorted once and for all.
    Im just hoping they will listen to me when i am there, listen to my symptoms and not just dismiss it as OA "take painkillers as advised by your GP".
    I am having to wait until March, but at least i have an appointment, but i would be devastated if they just dismiss my concerns, or not even hear me out.
    Nobody WANTS to be told their body is attacking itself, as opposed to the wear and tear of middle aged joints, but if i should be on medication to slow this thing down then after 5 years i want to know about it, so i feel i have a lot invested in this appointment.
    I could have someone wonderful who takes time to listen to me and get tests and scans sorted to put my mind at rest ...but maybe i am expecting too much.
    We will see.
    I hope you are doing ok and getting the help that you need.

Hips x