What computer mouse to use with arthritis in the hand?

Mech414t11
Mech414t11 Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Nov 2015, 06:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Having arthritis in the hand can be a real bummer when you use your computer a lot. :(

I was looking for what you believe to be the most comfortable mouse on the market to use with arthritis in the hand. What in particular makes that mouse more comfortable than the average one off the shelf?

Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mech414t11,

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

All best wishes

L (Moderator) :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Mech414111 and welcome from me too.

I'm afraid this is a bit of a 'How long is a piece of string?' question. Even those of us with arthritic hands don't have the same joints affected or have pain with the same movements so it's a very individual thing.

Personally I prefer a big old-fashioned type of mouse that I can get my whole hand round. I'm useless with a laptop's touch pad but then I've had RA for very many years and my hands are very deformed.

If you're thinking of buying a new one I'd just ask first to try out those belonging to as many friends as possible. i wish you luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi, I can empathise with what SW said about a laptop`s touch pad - that`s a complete no no for me.

What I find helps me is a mouse pad with a raised bit along the bottom, which is filled with gel, and can be frozen if there is inflammation and you need something cool. It`s just a `wrist rest` if you like, and has been a real boon to me. I have no idea where it came from, as one of my sons bought it for me, but I can ask if you think it might help.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I've tried a few. I did quite well with a tracker ball for a few years but you need to try different types to be sure which is comfy for you. Laptop pads are dreadful and painful. I've now given up and am lucky enough to have a touch screen laptop which seems to be the best option. I spend many hours repeatedly clicking on a mouse whilst working on visuals so I may be speaking from a perspective of massive mouse click rather than a more 'normal,' for want of a better word, perspective.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Gracefully
    Gracefully Member Posts: 20
    Hi
    I also use a basic mouse although I do get bad tingling in my fingers if I use it too much because of problems with my upper spine so I take that as a sign to stop for a while.

As said, everyone is so different that it is a question of trying things out. I have never got on with gel support pads myself.

There is a mouse that is pen shaped which may be worth looking into but I think they're on the more expensive side.

There are other designs but of course the more they move away from the basic mouse shape the more eye-wateringly expensive some of them become eg roll bar, vertical, contour.

This website gives you some idea of other options - not for those with a limited wallet.

http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mice-keyboards.html
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    If it's for your job, ask for a referral to Access to Work; https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview They will be able to give you advice.
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Hi Mech

I found, in the old days, for want a better term friction mouses (those that had a ball inside them) it was best to learn as many shortcuts as possible, as working on communal computers in the company meant the mouse ball would often get sticky and I old end up with a sore shoulder. Even in this day and age of the cordless optical mouse they can sometimes have mind of their own and be difficult to manoeuvre. I use a Mac at work and love that fact I can scroll around the by stroking the mouse, but I still very much use shortcuts, it's far easier to use keystrokes than reaching for the mouse all the time ... but that's my opinion.

Scozzie
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    I found a sideways mouse to be much easier to use
  • Lou001
    Lou001 Member Posts: 51
    I also have a sideways mouse. This was recommended to me by Occupational Health.
    It's designed to keep your hand in a "natural" resting position.