Heart and fibromyalgia.

bridlass
bridlass Member Posts: 35
edited 23. Nov 2015, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
One question in regard for myself. Can heart problems be related to arthritis?

Question two for my daughter. Is fibromyalgia a type of arthritis?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Bridlass, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am not a doc but will attempt to answer your question.

Rheumatoid arthritis can lead to heart and lung troubles, maybe some of the other auto-immune forms too, but not osteoarthritis.

I have developed fibro as a consequence of living with two kinds of arthritis, I have psoriatic and the joint damage from that has led to osteo in a number of useful joints but I know of people who have fibro without arthritis. I think it falls under the umbrella of an auto-immune trouble but, as I said, I am not a doc.

I think I recall your first post where you mentioned not having a knee cap. That is not part of the knee joint at all, it's there purely to protect the ends of the thigh and shin bones - when people have knee replacement surgery their natural knee cap is left in situ unless it is compromised somehow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think DD is right, as usual.

I have RA and, as I was diagnosed at 15 (and had 'rheumatic fever' aged 11 - probably the start of it all) my heart and kidneys came under scrutiny for years. However, I don't believe there's any connection between OA and heart disease.

Fibromyalgia isn't an autoimmune disease and is neurological rather than muscoloskeletal.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    DD is the wise one of the forum! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, they both cause a lot of pain and make you feel rotten!