Struggling to work

Options
Frose
Frose Member Posts: 14
edited 23. Nov 2015, 10:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, I'm 32yo woman and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in June this year. I was off work for 3 months while I started treatment and got to a stage where I could function and went back to work in July. Things improved a lot in September, but I then got a kidney infection and then a urine infection, which meant stopping methotrexate for a few weeks. For the past 2-3 weeks I have been struggling with anxiety surrounding having this condition and have been off work sick for just over a week. In this time the RA has flared up and I don't feel well enough to work due to this and I already struggle with depression.
I feel at a loss about what I should do... I'm struggling to cope with the pain, however, I can cope with this better when I feel that there are no other demands on me (i.e. work, housework etc.) I have a strong sense of guilt about being off work sick and that I should be at work.
I don't know how I should be coping with RA... Is my reaction 'normal' or am I whining and complaining???

Hello
Welcome to the forum I am sure you will find support, advice and light relief here.
I am one of the moderation teeam, and we all have one or more of the arthritis hangers on, or care for a family member who has the same.
If you need help with the technicallities of the forum please just get in toucch via a personal message.
Best wishes
ChrisK
Favourite quotes/mantras:
Take one day at a time
Don't compare yourself to others
There is only now :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, Frose.

As I said in your other thread on LWA, you should not feel guilty about being off work. You are ill.

The kidney and urine infections must have come at the worst possible time for you but then when we are stressed we are more prone to picking up everything going.

The same goes for being on methotrexate. I have learned, over the years, to simply avoid contact with anyone who has a cold, bug etc as far as possible. My friends now know not to come round if they are infectious. I've also become much more assiduous about hygiene. I wash my hands more throroughly, use hand gel and anti-bac wipes regularly, especially when I've been anywhere 'communal' – supermarket, restaurant etc. And I always get my flu jab in early. (Have you had one? If not, ask your GP. You're eligible for a free one when on immuno-suppresants.)

In answer to your last question – your feelings are perfectly normal. You have had a great deal to come to terms with in a short time. Things will improve but they won't be rushed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright