Hissy fit.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Dec 2015, 15:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
As you all know I am generally disposed to light-heartedness and a joke or two, far preferring to laugh than grumble. The former does me good, the latter not because it emphasises the grot. Yesterday, however, I lost it for only the second time in my arthritic years.

We are currently away for a few days and the weather changed dramatically over the weekend, from the sludgy steamy warmth of un-naturalness (cue the PsA) to the freezing brightness and promise of snow (OA takes over). Due to No.10 being chaotic and my being extra-tired I forgot to pack my super-duper knee supports. We decided yesterday morning to go for a walk down to the pier - The Spouse offered to drive (would have taken less than two minutes to get there) but I had my stubborn hat firmly affixed because I hadn't done much walking at all on Sunday. 'No,' I replied, 'That's a very kind thought but I need to walk.' TWERP.

I wanted to be closer to the sea because it was a shorter route, so laboured down a long flight of steps (he shouldered the rolly) and I thought that was that. Alas no, after a short-ish hobble (and pain going off the Richter scale despite dullers) another flight, only five but very narrow, came into view. Before I knew it I had flung the rolly down them, crashing it onto concrete, manoeuvred myself awkwardly, picked it up and stormed off (when I say stormed I'm sure you realise it was nothing of the sort :wink: ) The Spouse gave me a look but wisely said nothing.

I admit it, dear reader, I cried. We're supposed to be relaxing and having a lovely time but the arthritis has other ideas. I delayed the humira so I might have something better for the first few days but the OA has gleefully put paid to that. Spouse offered to drive home to fetch the knee supports but I have no idea where they are. He is going to work on tomorrow and Thursday so at least I can spend two days in bed without feeling too guilty! :)

I hope things will be more bearable today because the sludge and steam is returning so that might help matters. Who the heck am I kidding? :lol: Time to grit the teeth and pretend all is well when we both know it isn't. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD, I'm not surprised you had a hissy fit, but I'm impressed you've only had two.

You poor thing, especially when it was a weekend away you'd probably been looking forward to but unfortunately while it's easy to leave other things behind, arthritis refuses to be left at home and insists on coming along and then acts up and seeks attention.

I hope you are managing to take it easy today, ((((()))))
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    If anyone deserves to have a hissy fit its you,I would have paid £1 to see it no make that a fiver :!:Mig
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    (((()))) I hope your day is less frustrating. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stubborn hat wearing even if it does lead to trouble. Was the rollator OK after it's crash? (((())))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I feel for you, DD, and can't blame you at all for having a hissy fit!

Take care of yourself.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Society for the Protection of Rollators and All Walking Devices

Dear Ms D Daisy,

We are in receipt of a serious report concerning abuse to one of our members viz a rollator reported to be in your possession yesterday – until you threw it mercilessly down a flight of steps.

Please be advised that these humble creatures exist to serve, not to be abused. A rollator is a WALKING Aid. It is not an elevator nor an escalator. It was never designed to cope with stairs. I am reliably informed that neither were you but that is beside the point.

As this is a first offence no further action will be taken but please remember in future to vent your wrath elsewhere. I understand that, at the time of the offence, you also had in your possession a husband. Might I suggest that more satisfaction can be gained from taking frustrations out on these creatures which, unlike our members, are rarely there when required and are also prone to grumbling, procrastination and selective deafness.

I remain your obedient servant,

A Jobsworth

Hon. Sec. S.P.R.A.W. D.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you one and all for your kind understanding and friendly replies, they are all appreciated. I feel the need, however, to promptly reply to A Jobsworth from S.P.R.A.W.D.

Dear A Jobsworth

Thank you for your letter concerning my apparent mistreatment of my rollator. I assure you that this is the first time that I have ever taken direct action against it and will probably be the last. I am fully aware that it is there to help, to be a support and provide the means for me to do more but it has been known to revolt in its own way as I shall now relate.

When holidaying in Yorkshire (oddly around this time last year) it decided (despite regular maintenance and apropos of nothing) to lose a wheel, rendering me stranded: a three-wheeled-when-it-should-be-four wagon is next to useless. It can count itself very lucky that it wasn't binned there and then. It has also been known to suck my flowing skirts into its wheels, ripping the material and leaving lovely muddy prints. It generally behaves - and suffered no damage yesterday - but I feel it may now be on borrowed time. Due to the general depredations of my arthritic life its brakes are not what they were, its reflectors are long-lost, the replaced wheel is increasingly wobbly and I am concerned about one of the others. I do appreciate, however, that it regularly stops me from being 'sprawled' which is a boon.

I would very much like to sign up to your organisation: how much is the yearly subscription in tripe?

Yours sincerely,

Ms D Daisy. (The first D stands for Dalek, like them I struggle with stairs and steps.)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I am amazed you say it's only the second time in your arthritic years you have had a hissy fit. I have thrown things and kicked things (only those that were light and moveable), yelled and cried, whined and snivelled many times. I make an effort to be calm and rational but in reality I tend to high degrees of frustration and hot-headedness. Not a good temperment for an arthritic but here I am. I have now confessed :oops: (((())))
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm just pleased that you and your rollator survived together. I'm sorry to hear that your weekend trip didn't go to plan. And yes, you are a positive person and always have been, but then this does mean that you more than anyone are entitled to the odd day when it's okay not to feel so positive.

Be kind to yourself and above all, please don't feel guilty or berate yourself for having had a negative moment or two.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That's a cracker Sticky - and I thought you had jet lag?
    DD, I'm not surprised you had a hissy fit, over the past few months I imagine a fair head of steam has been building up with all the grottiness that has been besetting you and, nice as it is to have the house decorated it's another strain on the already depleted energy and coping budget.
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    i hope you are feeling some what better today DD.... we all have our Off days.. it sounds like this was a bit of a put down to your weekend away .. i hope you managed to enjoy some of the Scenery after you Finally reached the bottom of those dreaded stairs.... i am sure your Rollator will still be hobbling along for the foreseeable..... at least it now has Character ... :)

Sticky that was hilarious ... i am in fits of giggles ....

hope the pain has eased off a bit DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Dear A Jobsworth

Thank you for your letter concerning my apparent mistreatment of my rollator. I assure you that this is the first time that I have ever taken direct action against it and will probably be the last. I am fully aware that it is there to help, to be a support and provide the means for me to do more but it has been known to revolt in its own way as I shall now relate.

When holidaying in Yorkshire (oddly around this time last year) it decided (despite regular maintenance and apropos of nothing) to lose a wheel, rendering me stranded: a three-wheeled-when-it-should-be-four wagon is next to useless. It can count itself very lucky that it wasn't binned there and then. It has also been known to suck my flowing skirts into its wheels, ripping the material and leaving lovely muddy prints. It generally behaves - and suffered no damage yesterday - but I feel it may now be on borrowed time. Due to the general depredations of my arthritic life its brakes are not what they were, its reflectors are long-lost, the replaced wheel is increasingly wobbly and I am concerned about one of the others. I do appreciate, however, that it regularly stops me from being 'sprawled' which is a boon.

I would very much like to sign up to your organisation: how much is the yearly subscription in tripe?

Yours sincerely,

Ms D Daisy. (The first D stands for Dalek, like them I struggle with stairs and steps.)

Dear Dalek Daisy,

I would ask you, for a moment, to just apply your logic to yourself.

I am guessing that, 'despite regular maintenance and apropos of nothing' you, too have lost a few 'wheels' aka joints. Do you, therefore, consider yourself 'next to useless'? Should you have been 'binned' by now?

Surely your own 'brakes' are not what they used to be, nor your reflectors and I have heard reports that you, too, are 'increasingly wobbly' (especially after a jar or two on a Saturday evening).

I do, nevertheless, apologise for the device's propensity to 'suck my flowing skirts into its wheels, ripping the material and leaving lovely muddy prints'. I fear you have somehow acquired a rogue male version of the rollator. I would counsel against this. Females ones are less destructive.

Your reference to tripe is somewhat disturbing. Tripe is the sworn enemy of S.P.R.A.W.D. for the obvious reason that no walking aids would be necessary if the general public became aware of the miraculous curative powers of that foodstuff so S.P.R.A.W.D. would have no purpose. Please keep the tripe firmly under your hat. And never, ever consme it with celery.

I remain etc etc

Algernon Jobsworth Esq
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    You two are absolute nutters,Im loving it. Mig
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I love you Sticky & DD you can make something very amusing when it should be serious. DD I hope you are behaving and rest not gambolling downstairs or power walking around the house! You behave Mrs and not go over doing it and let your body recover. And I hope rollator has got over it's abuse! :o
  • dreamdaisy
    Dear Mr A Jobsworth,

I sincerely hope this doesn't find you as it leaves me: if it does you have my sincere (hah!) sympathy. Not. :D

It would appear that you are well and truly drilled in the Health and Safety nonsense that abounds in this day-and-age so I am bewildered by the request to keep tripe under my hat. :? Pourquoi? Sorry, lapsed into my second language there, I meant to type 'why?' I can only see drips and dribbles of pungent yuckiness (much like arthritis). As for the celery, that is firmly rammed where it should be, together with ginger, turmeric and beetroot. Been there, eaten them and gotten nowhere. Do I wonder why? Do I . . . . . :lol:

I stress that all is 'well' with me after my unusual burst of temper, the same with the rolly. I thoroughly enjoyed my brief release of frustration and am pleased to report that I am close to regaining the blissful heights of moderately grotty. GET IN! :D Just in time to go home - utterly brilliant! I have no doubt that, given the norms of the healthy, I have indeed lost some wheels, my brakes no longer exist and of course I should have been binned but what do they know? On a more positive note my reflectors continue to grow. Happiness is. :wink:

On a more sombre note I today received an email from Messrs Tartitup and Floggit regarding my new 'trouble'. I have to admit that I am wondering if you used to work for them? If so you know where to find me :wink:

With MUCH love, DalekDaisy.
  • stickywicket
    Dear Ms Dalek Daisy,

You mention Mssrs. Tartitup & Floggit and enquire if I used to work with them. The answer is no but my dear cousin Miss Cilly Dithers, is or was secretary to one A. N. Optimist who I believe took over the management of the firm when senior partner Mr O. Le'Aginous became somewhat incapacitated.

His decline was directly related to an unfortunate encounter with a namesake of yours. I do hope there is no family connection – or any other kind. I am reliably informed that Ms Dream Daisy was a truly dreadful woman – and that was before she began sliding off bar stools. I would never consider allowing someone of that ilk access to one of our beautiful walking aids. She was rarely sober enough to stand up let alone care for a rollator. I am, however, assured that, despite his sad mental decline, Mr O. Le'Aginous still has a permanent smile on his face.

Yours respectfully,

Algernon Jobsworth
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Classic AC forum stuff from our 2 star performers - and illustrates why so many of us find this site a mood enhancer and solace. Thank you both.
  • dreamdaisy
    Dear Algernon, (I hope you do not mind the informality)

I am indeed that young lady to whom you refer. Of course I recall Miss C Dithers; the colours lilac and mauve, together with the mixed scents of lavender and cats is not easily forgettable. I think I am right in saying that she had deep feelings for Mr O Le-Aginous - I can still picture her leaning over him as he wrote at his desk, blasting him with Parma Violet breath while he screwed up his eyes to avoid the sight of the very pendulous bosoms, complete with Great Grandma's cameo brooch pinned thereupon, usually on the squonk.

I also recall 'discombobulating' :wink: a young innocent called Mr Optimist simply by sailing into the office to enquire about the progress of my house sale. Such a sweet young man - I never thought ears could go so red without bursting into flames. I am proud to say that I taught him all he needed to know about beer and gin. Is there any other knowledge one needs in life?

I eventually moved without the 'help' of that erstwhile firm and am now happily ensconced in a far more suitable home, namely one for young dipsomaniacs. I admit I have no idea what dipsomaniac means (is it related to diplomacy? Perhaps I am a manic diplomat.) but I am pleased to have found many like-minded friends. Sadly they are younger than me but a shared interest removes the age discrepancy at a stroke - and I like being stroked.

Please send my regards to your cousin, I hope she is still reeking of her unique scent.

I used to be Dream Daisy but as my troubles have advanced I now happily answer to Dalek and enjoy trying to exterminate my enemy on a daily basis with a mix of treatments (some sanctioned by my doctors, others not, needless to say those are more fun) . I am very pleased to learn that my rollator is of the male persuasion, I like men and love my effect on them! :D I suspect, however, that I need to 'beef' mine up a little because the word 'effete' has crept to mind . . . . . could this be why mine sucks at my skirts and lets his wheels fall off? If so that is most disappointing. As you are an expert in this field do you have any words of advice as to how I can encourage him to 'man up'? I dimly recall a Mr SW wanting to meet me, if you can put me in touch with that fine figures of a man he might have some useful masculine advice . . . . .

Yours sincerely,

Dalek Daisy (Miss, sadly) (Dunno why either.)
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Daffy, Mig and anyone else who has had a giggle at our nonsense. Arthritis doesn't have to be all doom and gloom does it? The mood occasionally strikes and I hope you and others will enjoy any further letters we create. DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Love the letters, Dalekdaisy and Sticky. Arthritis and life have permanently warped my sense of humor....Onward sideways!
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    :lol: you two are Seriously Hilarious.....

i hope your feeling much better today DD xx:)
  • daffy2
    happily answer to Dalek and enjoy trying to exterminate my enemy on a daily basis
    Forward the Sink Plungers (aka The Household Cavalry)
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Arthritis does require a daily dose of idiocy and who better to provide it :?:

Please join in. It's not a private party :D

Dear Ms Daisy,

Have I been misinformed? I was under the impression that it was not so much a residence that Miss Dream Daisy was trying to flog but a rather over-the-hill body. I believe there was some initial interest from the Mr SW whom you mention. He expressed a willingness to put a Mrs SW's equally clapped out body up in part exchange.

However, Mr SW is quite a timid man where ladies are concerned. (Like you, I use the term 'ladies' loosely.) ( He is exceptionally timid where loose ladies are involved.) He is also a little past his prime, a fact no-one is allowed to mention, and he himself felt he might be inadequate to your demands, As I recall, it was the thought of providing four pints of Wherry per weekend which finally saw him off. Mr SW, being a northerner, is not used to being so extravagantly generous to his women. (Actually, woman.)

I am pleased you have found a residence suited to your disposition. I can inform you that there is a difference between a diplomat and a dipsomaniac but it is of no great consequence.

As for your rollator, I'm afraid gender is determined at manufacture. I can only suggest that, next time, you procure a sturdy, no-nonsense matronly one which will have no interest in your skirts and is able to hang on securely to its own wheels.

Yours,

Algernon
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Thank you both for putting a smile on my face, you do know how to turn a frown upside down!! :D
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Daffy, Mig and anyone else who has had a giggle at our nonsense. Arthritis doesn't have to be all doom and gloom does it? The mood occasionally strikes and I hope you and others will enjoy any further letters we create. DD

I love that you can always see the humour. Earlier this week, I was at a very dull work conference. However, my whole day was transformed by a wonderful lady who delivers training in laughter therapy. She demonstrated how adding laughter and humour into even the most difficult of situations can affect how you manage your whole life. She's written a book, I believe. Her name is Kate Hull Rogers and she's worth a google.

Take care all and keep laughing. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

P.S. if nothing else, laughing burns more calories than frowning!
  • dreamdaisy
    Mr DD decided on Sunday to give my rollator a once-over to ensure it wasn't damaged. He fiddled about with things and now my nearside front wheel wobbles alarmingly, the brake handles are very loose and I generally don't feel safe when using it. Hey-ho. DD