Flu spray for school-age children.

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 22. Dec 2015, 03:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
My 16 year old Son has been offered a flu vaccination via nasal spray. He's a very healthy child so doesn't really need it.

However the notes say do not give to a person who has a weak immune system or have someone in their household who needs isolation. Therefore I'm wary of this vaccination as, like many of us on AC, I'm on immuno-suppressant medication.

The spray contains viruses that have been weakened to prevent them from causing flu but will help your child build up immunity. Would this count as a live vaccination which we are told to avoid?
Is the above the same as the flu jab they recommend we have each year?
I cannot find the answers to my question elsewhere so I thought I'd ask on here.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    it is more or less the same thing as the Flu jab my 5 year old son had it a few weeks ago .. he had no side effects from it as some children do such as feeling sluggish temp ect ... i presume its the exact same ingredients/chemicals as the standard flu jab ...

i dont know weather it will affect you and your health issues as i am not on any immuno-supresant medication at the moment ..

if you are worried i would sugest maybe ring you Gp or nurse ??
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    That is interesting. I don't know the answer either but the jab we get is inactive whereas the spray is active but weakened so they are different. Your GP's surgery should be able to help.
    Christine
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I can't answer your questions I'm afraid but my two have both had the spray through the GP who also gave me my jab. No ill effects were felt by any of us. I don't think it is a live vaccine, it certainly wasn't described as one to me when I signed for the girls to have theirs. Hope that helps - could you call your GP and ask them if it is a live vaccine when given as a spray?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can understand the dilemma - he might not 'need' it but neither do you need him going down with 'flu. I suggest you have a word with your pharmacist about the whether the vaccine is live or not - I know my injection is inert and my assumption would be that the spray is too but it's wise to check. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Thank you all for your replies.
    It is a dilemma DD as I have a lot of problems with my lungs so am extra sensitive. I also missed having the flu jab this Autumn (due to fatigue). However the reasoning behind these nasal sprays is to help stop the spread of flu to more vulnerable people so the more people who have the injection the better.

I will ask the approachable pharmacy staff rather than the busy GP surgery in the first instance. The school also have a welfare lady as many of the children have health issues so she may have experience of which of the children (and therefore adults) should avoid the spray.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Pharmacy think it will be okay but to be extra sure I wrote on my Son's consent form that I take Humira.

Thanks for all your replies. You've been a big help.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    You're more than welcome, Tkachev, I think you've made the right choice and it may still be possible for you to have yours if you are feeling better (which I hope you are). Belt and braces, yes? DD
  • tkachev
    Having read my note on the confirmation form about me being on humira, the Nurse rang and said they'd decided against giving the nasal vaccination (to my Son) because it was live.

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Elizabeth this is very interesting, I am not on immune suppressants..= my GD has had the flu spray... and got a nasty cough and a sore throat..so its what to do for the best, it wouldn't be nice for you to go down with it just before Christmas..or any time come to that...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Well I never - that's a useful nugget of information to store away so thank you for passing it on. I missed some vaccinations when a child because the vaccines were 'live', I should have made the connection.

I hope you all stay as well as possible over the Christmas and New Year period - and the rest of the time as well. DD
  • tkachev
    I was all for it DD so was surprised when she rang. I think she was being over cautious, especially as the pharmacy thought it would be fine. I just had a yes/no tick box so decided to tell them I was on humira in an other information box.

I do have enough probs with my lungs though so was sort of relieved.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think it's useful to know though. hanks for the thread, Elizabeth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright