Pure joy

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 1. Dec 2015, 11:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
The Yorkshire Dance Festival took place on Saturday, in York's Central Hall, with thirty schools taking part. Our oldest grandson was one of the dancers at his primary school. It was uplifting to watch so many young children dance with such exuberance and with sheer joy on their faces as they jumped, twirled, cartwheeled, and put their hearts & souls into their performances.

Each school's effort must have been the culmination of a great deal of hard work by children & teachers. Our grandson's primary had the highest number of boys taking part and it was clear how much they were enjoying themselves.

We are so used to seeing our grandson in cricket whites or muddy football/rugby strips that we saw a whole new side of him and his friends.

Long may these sort of events continue, & hats off to all who enable them to take place.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That must have been a lovely sight, dancing is a fantastic form of exercise because it's creative, fun and sociable. I recall in my younger days thinking I would take up ballroom dancing when I retired to give me an activity and the chance to make new friends - that was a mistake! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I was something of a tomboy as a child and twirling ballerinas failed mightily to impress me. Then the school took our year to a production of Peer Gynt and I was blown away by the sheer graceful athleticism of the male dancers. I viewed ballet completely differently from then on.

You seem to have a true all-rounder on your team, Tezz, and I'm very pleased for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I was something of a tomboy as a child and twirling ballerinas failed mightily to impress me. Then the school took our year to a production of Peer Gynt and I was blown away by the sheer graceful athleticism of the male dancers. I viewed ballet completely differently from then on.

You seem to have a true all-rounder on your team, Tezz, and I'm very pleased for you.

I was a tomboy too, SW, but I struggled womanfully at the piano as my dad taught piano. I gave up eventually when Dad realised my heart wasn't in it. It was, I suppose, contemporary dance on Saturday, but just a delight to watch.

DD, ballroom was never my forte, but I enjoyed country dancing at school, and loved ceilidhs.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Brilliant to watch them..children seem to put the hearts and souls into this....apart from my eldest son when they made him an angel...bad mistake. :lol: ..glad you enjoyed it :D
    Love
    Barbara