What more can life throw at me?

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 6. Dec 2015, 16:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
About a month ago I posted following an experience I'd had "that was frightening!"

In the early hours (18th Nov) I found myself in our lounge yet again struggling to breathe, yet again with a crushing pain in my rib cage but this time restricted to the front of my rib cage and just under it.

After the third spasm and by which time I was clutching the worktop in the kitchen to stay upright I'd had enough, rang 999 and opened the front door at the same time. This was about 2am and I wasn't looking my best, nor feeling very well at all!

The ambulance was with me very quickly. They'd originally been on their way to another patient but as I'd rung in with chest pains I was priority. I had two ECG's (both clear) here at home, blood pressure, temperature, SATs and full history taken. During this time I had yet more spasms so the crew decided to take me over to the A&E unit - literally just over the road from where I live.

So at 2.30am there I was staggering down my drive in my dressing gown, nightie, crocs with my mobile phone and handbag (all colour co-ordinated I hasten to add!).

Three minutes later I was in A&E where I had absolutely excellent service. Another ECG, chest x-ray, bloods, urine testing and physical exams took place, after which I was told the Doctor thought it was my gall bladder. :o He said I'd get a phone call later to have an ultra sound after which I'd see the surgical team for the result.

I got a taxi back home (it wasn't the weather for staggering home in a dressing gown and it's too far for me to walk) and got back to bed at 6.30am but naturally didn't get any more sleep. Just after 9.30am I took a call from the hospital giving me an ultrasound appointment time for 11.50am. I duly went over for this (with a horrendously full bladder as instructed) and had the scan. The person doing the scan then said words I really didn't want to hear. "You have gallstones".

After removing all the gel I staggered round to the next Dept, and at 12.45pm the surgeon confirmed I have about 5/6 smallish gallstones. :o
He then said I need an operation to have the gallbladder (and stones) out. Blimey I thought, this is all rather quick, but at least I'm getting some answers at long last.

So, I now have Buscopan to take which I got via my GP (this now makes a total of 20 prescribed pills a day to take - on a good day!), and am awaiting a surgery date. They couldn't give me a timescale for this so now I wait.

Naturally I didn't get into work today as I felt like I'd been run over by a very large double decker bus. This has all been a bit of a shock to be honest, but at least I know why I've had these peculiar pains today and about a month ago.

I've seen more than my fair share of operating theatres but all for my joints up to now. I was given information on having a fat free diet whilst I wait for the op, but as I'm on the Slimming World plan this is my eating pattern now anyway. Surgeon happy for me to continue with the SW plan.

Now I wait and hope I don't have any more spasms as that was terrifying.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    omg that must have been horrendous Grace .. im glad it wasnt anything too serious with you having chest pain ect ..

i had heard og gall bladder and gall stones but dont unfortunately know how long an operation will be or how serious it is .

i hope you are feeling somewhat better this evening/morning .. try and get some rest if you can as it will be a shock for anyone ....

Emma xx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    I can empathise with your pain, Grace, it is truly awful! Eight years ago I was in a similar situation - I call it the summer of the gall bladder!

I had keyhole surgery to remove my gall bladder - came home the same day - and recovered in a few weeks. My gall bladder and bile duct had been infected, so I think this is why it took me a little while to get over it all. My hubby had his gall bladder out earlier this year and was back to normal much quicker.

Rest and follow your low-fat diet while you're waiting for a date and I hope you don't have to wait very long. Take care.

Meg ((()))
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    (((((()))))) Mig
  • GraceB
    Thank you for your replies. I've been taking my extra meds and re-counted. To my horror I realised my arithmetic skills are still bad! I'm taking 25 prescribed pills a day now and not 20. I think it was a bad idea to count in the first place! :!:

The NHS wait for this op in my local hospital is 18 weeks! I can't wait that long, but luckily can call on a healthcare scheme I belong to that supplements the NHS. I obviously can't name the scheme, due to Forum Rules, but I've contacted them and was told they can do my op in 6-8 weeks time, so I think it'll be second week January or thereabouts.

I'm being extremely careful what I eat. If I bend too much I'm getting sore in the gallbladder area, likewise if I drive too far, or am trying to do too much. I've had to drop the back of my driving seat back - I usually like to sit upright for driving but that's too uncomfortable, hence the seat adjustment.

I'll be seeing my GP tomorrow to get some more of the Buscopan as the prescription was I given last week is almost out. I'll also be able to then see if the referral to my healthcare scheme has gone off as when I spoke to my surgery about this on Monday they'd not had the paperwork from the hospital. Without those test results the GP can't send the referral over for me.

Now just got to wait for an initial clinic and pre-op check, get Christmas over with and then get organised for being post-op - yet again.

GraceB
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Take care of yourself, Grace. It's the wrong time of year to be following a low-fat diet, isn't it?

It's good that you won't have to wait 18 weeks for your op, so I hope that it all goes smoothly for you.

Meg
  • GraceB
    Well, my GP and I have had the discharge paperwork from the NHS hospital who treated me when I went into A&E via ambulance two weeks ago for my gallstones attack. My healthcare scheme confirmed yesterday they've accepted me so they can treat me for this and I should be getting a telephone call within the week to organise an urgent clinic appointment, the operation itself will follow and all of this will happen in the next 8 weeks. So that should be surgery by the end of January.

I've checked again with my local NHS hospital as the discharge paperwork said I'd "been put onto emergency operation list, awaiting appointment" and I was told again the wait is 18 weeks for this. I can't wait that long as I'm too uncomfortable most of the time, despite following the gallstone diet to the letter. I'm obviously reluctant to have any more spasms as they were so painful and the longer I wait for the op, the more chances of having more spasms. My NHS referral has to stay in place just in case they can offer surgery earlier than the 18 weeks but somehow I doubt this will happen knowing the pressures on the local health providers.

So, I await the phone call.

GraceB
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    You'll be glad when this is sorted I imagine, but presumably having got a diagnosis and a plan of action has made it easier to cope with? I hope you don't have too much trouble over the festive period - the combination of your weight loss diet and the specific gallstones one should help to reduce the chances.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    oh I sure have sympathy for you. Gallbladder troubles are very painful and, we have enough of that already. Several years ago I lived on Ryvita crackers and applesauce for a very long time. Take care of yourself ((())).

Anna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope all goes well, Grace. Not a nice prospect just before Christmas but best sorted. I once did Christmas in hospital and it was OK. The food was dreadful (I think some of the Christmas dinner was recycled from the previous year :wink: ) but the nurses were frighteningly generous with the sherry :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your replies. Have heard from the hospital (my healthcare scheme one). I have a clinic appointment Thurs 10th Dec and a surgery date of Sat 16th Jan. I was told if another ultrasound is needed this will be done next week and I imagine that I'll have to go back for a pre-op assessment as next week's appointment is 4pm and I don't think a pre-op will be achievable the same day.

So I now have a date (!) and can now start to plan. I'll have to get my list of questions written down for the consultant ready for next week.

I'll let you know how I get on.

GraceB
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I can totally empathise with Gall stones and Gall bladder pain, I to was rushed into A & E a few years ago now doubled over in horrendous pain. I was scanned and told I had an impacted gall bladder. I had surgery a few days later to remove the gall bladder. I remember a few weeks later feeling so much better, the surgery was done by keyhole surgery it was amazing how they did it I only have tiny scares. I hope you get a cancelation appointment soon! Take care (())'s.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Grace, I`m glad you have a date for surgery, and as you say, time to plan.

I hope you get through Christmas with the minimum of discomfort and can still enjoy it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Meg I am sorry I missed this ..not on the ball lately..my mum had this pain till they removed her gallbladder..was she glad to get rid..I remember has children us going to the chemist for the strong painkillers on the prescription....no health and safety them..hope all goes well with the op..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will be glad to get this over and whilst it's a bit daunting it needs to be done and as soon as possible.

I thought I was going to have another batch of spasms last night but thankfully it didn't happen! Phew ...

GraceB