trapeziectomy

Options
Shazynysmon
Shazynysmon Member Posts: 2
edited 17. Dec 2015, 05:24 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I've just had a trapeziectomy on my left thumb. Its been 3 weeks now and still suffering with a burning sensation. Wanted to know if this is normal

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Shazynysmon,
    Lovely to meet you, welcome from all the mod team. Sometimes weekends can be a little quiet but I'm sure you will get both welcomes and advice from the fantastic forum members.

the mod team - a few people who also have one or more arthritis conditions or care for someone with arthritis - are here to help out with any problems you may have using the forum, you can reach us by sending a private ,message (look towards the top of any page and you will see the link to do that, or post us if you prefer.

Please feel able to join in any thread you are interested in

Take care mod Yx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Shazynysmon.

I've no experience of trapeziectomies but, if you look on the Living With Arthritis forum, you'll see that 'drewa' has a thread about a recent one. Others have contributed their experiences.

Three weeks doesn't sound like very long to me. There's a lot of healing to go on under the surface after the skin has knitted together.

If you're worried then why not ask your GP for advice though I'm sure if you re-post this thread on Living With Arthritis you'll get more replies.

I hope it all goes weel for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Like Sticky I've not had this particular operation but I have had others and yes, on-going pain after the op is par for the course. We seem to expect surgery to sort things out instantly (in modern life it seems to be increasingly unreasonable to have to wait for things, yes?) but healing is a long process, and with hands and feet there is not much flesh to cushion matters. I am sure things will ease as time goes on, there are some threads about this on here and the LWA board so have a read of others' experiences and I hope you will feel reassured. Good luck and I hope it proves to be a really beneficial op for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • inlinedancer
    inlinedancer Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi I've just had a trapeziectomy on my left thumb. Its been 3 weeks now and still suffering with a burning sensation. Wanted to know if this is normal

Hiya. There are a couple of on going forums on here on Trapeziectomy. It has been great having someone going through the same procedure to be in touch with. I had my left thumb done 6 weeks ago and had that burning sensation, it felt like my thumb was sitting in red hot water. It has eased off now i'm out of the cast.
  • Cushytara
    Cushytara Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi

I agree whole-heartedly with inlinedancer; it's good to talk! I'm nearly 17 weeks post op and I think it's easy to forget that we've actually had a bone removed! My op was belittled somewhat by line managers at work(it's just a little hand op, how much more time off does she need? 8 weeks actually :-)). I felt quite vulnerable which is difficult to admit as I'm a bit of a roughty toughty. I still do sometimes, especially when I'm struggling to get change out of my purse at a checkout. I will get better but it's slow progress.
  • didiclare
    didiclare Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi. I had trapeziectomy 4 weeks ago and am still experiencing bad burning sensation so I can sympathise with you. I also have a numb thumb and three fairly numb fingers! I had other thumb done 10 years ago with none of the complications I am having with this one - but there again I am 10 years older! Happy Christmas