Bother - I didn't expect that!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 16. Dec 2015, 17:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had my clinic appointment today to discuss my gallbladder surgery with my healthcare provider. Consultant was lovely, very reassuring about how many gallbladders he takes out a month and then came the knock back. :(

The NHS hospital did blood tests when I was carted in on 19th November by ambulance. They told me at the time that my liver function test score was 1 point above normal but they weren't concerned and said this was probably down to the gallbladder spasms I'd had that night.

The consultant today said this is an abnormal result and ordered blood tests which were taken before I left the clinic today. If the blood test shows normal liver function, the op goes ahead as planned. If not, I have to have MRI as he said this means one of the gallstones could have moved into my bile duct and to leave it there is potentially life threatening. Apparently once they take the gallbladder out, they clip off the junction and if a gallstone is left in the bile duct this could move back up, push against the clip which could give way. This would mean emergency surgery at best and life threatening at worst. :!:

The blood results will be known and reviewed tomorrow, and I can call the surgical secretaries Tuesday next week If I don't have a call in the meantime, when I'll find out if I now have to have MRI thereby delaying the op, or if I'm still on the list for 16th Jan.

The consultant is writing to my GP as apparently my surgery should have done a follow up test on this the week afterwards to check this and he was annoyed this hadn't been done. I explained I need this op asap as I'm getting more pain by the day and I can't wait much longer. I'm grateful they're being thorough and understand the need for this, but I wasn't prepared for this and the novelty of sitting at home clutching a hot water bottle against my gallbladder is rapidly wearing off. Had I been told by the NHS hospital - or indeed by my GP - that this test needed repeating the week afterwards I'd have made sure I had it done, but no-one told me.

I really didn't need this!

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Dear Grace!!

You poor thing!

I do hope your bloods come back perfectly fine so things can go ahead as planned.

It really sounds as though they are erring on the side of safety and reading that I can see why :shock: .

Safety first!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    So sorry to hear that there has been a blip. On the plus side, it's good that they are being so thorough.

Here's hoping that your bloods are OK and it can be full steam ahead! Take care of yourself.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I have my fingers crossed for you, Grace. You really do not need that but, yes, they are being thorough and that inspires confidence. Please let's know the verdict.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Oh Grace, I'm so sorry this has happened - just what you don't need. I hope it all gets resolved quickly, and with the best possible outcome.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace I will have everything crossed that your op goes ahead, I remember the pain my mum went through till she had it removed...will be thinking about you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Oh no grace so sorry you may experience more delay will keep my fingers crossed the blood results are good.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Keeping fingers crossed for you that bloods are good and op can go ahead XX
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Keeping my fingers crossed too.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    Thank you all.

On the advice of my neighbour (ex medical secretary and before that she was a WPC in the Police Force so I tend to listen to her advice!), I've left a voicemail for the surgical secretaries team so I can find out hopefully tomorrow what the position is. The hospital who are helping me with this do have an MRI unit so should I need an MRI, I'll ask them to do this as if the request goes back to my GP for my local NHS hospital to do this, I'll wait months. Can't do that - am in too much pain.

Naturally I'm keeping my fingers crossed bloods are all clear but am braced - just in case.

I'll update when I know.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • stickywicket
    I'm guessing you're no further forward, Grace. Keep plugging away. It will happen. Thinking of you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thank you.

I've had a voicemail left on my mobile (typically it was the one time today I didn't have my mobile physically in my hand so I missed the call!). My liver function test was okay so they can go ahead with my op. :lol:

There was a suggestion made I may find it helpful to go back into clinic to talk through the operation. My first priority for tomorrow will be to ring the hospital and make sure 16th January is still on the cards for me. I'll then be more than happy to go back into clinic, however, I don't really want to go back to clinic and then be called back in for a pre-op as that's two trips on rough country roads (not good for either my joints or my gallbladder) so I'll ask that if they want to do a pre-op it's done the same morning or afternoon I'm back at the hospital.

I can't even begin to explain how relieved I feel. I was dreading being told I needed an MRI as I knew that would delay the op. I had an absolutely dreadful day yesterday with pain - although there were no actual spasms. On checking with my trusty - and reliable - pharmacist it turns out the culprit was the fact I'd drunk chilled water at work!! He explained that dodgy gallbladders don't like extremes of temperature re food and drink. Lesson learnt! All water now will be room temperature.

I had a lump of scar tissue removed from my left shin on Saturday at my GP's so I now have a hole in my leg. :o It's drying out nicely, although it's not a petty sight. I'm keeping it covered whilst at work with sterile dressings which allow the wound to breathe and it's open to the air when I'm at home. Need that to heal over before I go in for the gallbladder op.

So this phone call to confirm the surgery date is high on my "to do list" for tomorrow. . Keeping my fingers crossed my name is still down for 16th January.

GraceB
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Fingers crossed for you and I hope the leg heals. Mig
  • stickywicket
    My fingers are crossed too, Grace, Best of luck.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Update for you.

Operation is confirmed for Sat 16th Jan. Don't know what time I have to be at the hospital yet but I expect it'll be early morning. I have another clinic apt 8th Jan to meet the consultant who'll be doing the op itself. Once I've seen the consultant on the 8th, I'll then have my pre-op assessment as contrary to what I'd been told last week, all pre-op assessments have to be done at the hospital, which to be honest, is what I thought would be the case. However, I'll be able to get both done during the same visit.

Between now and then I intend to keep on with the fat free diet - avoiding chilled water! - and hope I don't get any more spasms.

Thank you for your support.

GraceB