steroids

scouting
scouting Member Posts: 37
edited 17. Dec 2015, 17:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi.
having a bad flare up at the moment and they think the cimzia is failing. Got to try extra of another tablet before they will try another biologic. I was given a months tapered dose of oral steroids. I started taking the Friday and have had no relief. In fact my knee is getting worse. How long do I continue without relief before I phone the rheumatology nurse? I'm in so much pain it's keeping me awake and I'm so stiff in the morning. Not like I was a few months ago.
Thanks
gxx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello g..sorry I cant offer any advice on the meds, but I do think you need more help to get you through this ,so I would either ring your rheumy or see your GP...hope you get the help you need..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I am one of that happy band for whom steroids work virtually instantly. However, I know that's not the case for everyone. What dose are you on? I can see the twin problems of intervening too soon versus leaving it over the weekend. I think I'd give it at least until tomorrow lunchtime and then maybe ring your helpline for advice. I doubt your GP would interfere with a rheumatology decision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scouting
    Thank you. I'm taking four tablets at the moment and then tapering down over the next few weeks

Will see how it goes.

Thank you
    gxx
  • stickywicket
    How's it going? Any better? Or did you need to ring the helpline?
    Steven Wright
  • scouting
    Hi. Thank you. They seem to be working. I woke up with little swelling after I posted and it's vee getting a bit better since then. I have had a few long days at work (parents evenings) and I dropped a stool on my bad knee so que swelling and a very bad bruise and lump almost immediately lol. So feeling a bit better RA wise lol.
    Gxx
  • stickywicket
    Oh good! I'm pleased they seem to have started to work. Thanks for the update.
    Steven Wright
  • scouting
    Update... I was feeling some benifit from the steroids but they don't seem to be working now. Having a very rough time made worse by getting my daughters cold. Phone the nurse and she said she has to refer to the rheumatologIst doctor as she doesn't know what to do. So I'm waiting for a reply. Hate being like this. Got to the stage where everything is hurting just like before cimzia. gxx
  • stickywicket
    I wonder which came first - the deterioration or the cold. In my experience the joints take advantage of any rise in body temperature. Also, if you've not been on cimzia for long (sorry, I've forgotten) it might not be working well enough yet especially with a cold chucked in.

Stay warm and hydrated. Lots of Vit C. I hope things improve soon.
    Steven Wright
  • scouting
    Thank you. Unfortunately I think the cold is taking advantage of me flaring as it has only just come on and the deteriation was last weekend or so.
    Been on cimzia for three years. Think they are thinking it's not working but I was due to up the salsa pyrene after the steroids dI'd their job. Ooops seems I can't behave for them lol
    gxx
  • stickywicket
    Salsa pyrene? You've lost me there. I've never heard of it.

If you started to get worse last weekend it could be that that's when you got the cold and you're only just now starting to show symptoms.

I think you did the best thing by ringing your helpline. I hope they get back to you soon.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Me too :?

Was spell-check to blame???

I hope in any case that you aren't feeling quite so bad and have heard from R Nurse who has taken advice from Rheumatologist.

Love

Toni xxx
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Is it sulfasazaline you mean ?
  • scouting
    Yes that is what I meant thank you. Lol.

A week on I'm still bad and I'm still waiting to hear back from the nurse after she has spoken to the doctor. I rung the nurse help line this morning to complain that I was still waiting to hear back but still nothing. I'm at work the next two days. Would like to feel better for Christmas or at least know what I can do to get the cimzia working again.
    thank you
    gxx
  • lynnemarie1123
    When I started taking it years ago it took well over 3 months to get into my system and take effect X wouldn't be without now xx

Give it a bit of time X I took anti inflammatories the combination didn't effect until I added pain relief into the mix X

Good luck xx
  • scouting
    Sorry do you mean the steroids took three months to work?
    Because I've been on cimzia and sulfaslazaine for over two years and it's stopping working. The steroids were to boost me and stop the flare up which hasn't worked . I know have a voice mail saying I won't hear anything until next week. Whoch is ridiculous seeing as I originally phoned three weeks ago. Gxx
  • lynnemarie1123
    No sorry I meant the sulfa.
    I've never been on steroids apart from cortisone by injection ? I had a S/r injection in October and it did me the world of good! Unfortunately it's effects are coming to a end now - it took a week to kick in X
    The consultant said if the cortisone worked they would look at increasing the sulfa to 6 a day! How things change eh! Was only a year or so ago they were thinking of reducing it!

Hope things change swiftly for you x