Techie help, please

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 21. Dec 2015, 13:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Mr SW has a new mobile phone but has kept his old number. I've never had a mobile. On the very rare occasions I need one I borrow his.

His new phone has a touch keyboard which is totally incompatible with my bendy fingers.I now type fluent gibberish.

I'm wondering about using his old phone on Pay As You Go as I rarely 'go' and would really only use it for texting friends while away from home.

How on earth do I go about it, please :oops:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    He has ported his old number from his old phone to a new phone leaving this one without a number? You need to buy a PAYG sim only but you need to check it is compatible with this phone's network. The safest way to do this is to buy a sim PAYG from the same company he used previously with this phone. At least you know it will work. This is because some phones are locked to one company so you have to buy one of their sims.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    glad to see Elizabeth could help,my OH had my old phone and bought a new TT sim because it was locked to them , but my GDs is unlocked so like Elizabeth says it can be used with any pay as you go, just check out the best prices on the net..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    Forgot to mention that you can get a phone unlocked but it costs around £20.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Alternatively new PAYG phones are available dirt cheap from a certain well known supermarket chain. I was given a £9-99 T**** Value one a few years ago and last year upgraded to another,same price, as it has a radio function which I thought would be useful when I'm travelling. No camera no internet etc etc, but as my usage is only about £8/year it suffices. I forget from one year to the next how to top-up so tend to just go in and present it to customer services and ask them to put £10 on.
  • stickywicket
    Thank you, Elizabeth and daffy and Barbara.

Daffy, I think, after your post, if we had a T*sc*'s nearby I'd be down there. Unfortunately we haven't so I think I'll take Elizabeth's advice as it sounds easy enough for a (late) beginner :lol: Thanks again all :areindeer:
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    There's also a make which specially has large keys on it for those who have
    a) eyesight problems or
    b) Finger issues

Might be called a doro??

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Yes that's a great phone Toni. Sticky knows and likes her husbands phone so can understand her wanting to keep it.

Tesco online sell PAYG phones with a sim in, that is where I got my phones from. I had intended to unlock my Sons phone to use with another sim I'd bought especially but messed it up so had to use the Tesco sim that came with the phone in the first place.

Make sure they don't try and sell you a new phone Sticky!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Thanks again, Elizabeth and frog.

I went to our local C*rph*n* W*r*h**s* where a very nice male child got me a Sin card, asked if I wanted him to put it in for me (Crikey, Yes! I'd never have managed to detach it even) and told me what to do next.

I am sorted but have now switched it off until I go away as I got sick of V*d*ph*n* sending me messages. I hae no idea how people adjust to getting text twiddles all the time but I've no intention of joining them except when friends can't easily contact me any other way.

Thank you everyone.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    apologies Sticky, I meant to tell you you might need help putting the sim in.

shame you are with vodaphone as they have terrible customer ratings (along with Talk Talk) but at least you are not on contract and have an element of control with PAYG.

E xxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein