Why do I always feel gloomy after talking to a doc?

Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 21. Dec 2015, 04:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Found a new GP today - seems ok so far (at least I didn't get told to 'man up' and find a different job anyway!!). Still can't help but feel miserable afterwards (although the dog is doing her best to distract me - I've remembered not to cry this time because last time I got that upset she was confused, jumped on my back and, well, made some unexpected pelvic movements :shock: :shock: :lol: )

So, a better chat, but I was told that yes, if the surgeon thinks a TKR is the right thing then it would be easy enough to refer me back to him. So I asked what would be the prompt, when would be the right time? I was given three options:
1 - when you can't walk down the street or stand in the classroom
2- it puts serious pressure on your marriage
3 - depression (again)

In the meantime, we could try stronger painkillers (tramadol I've had before but morphine?) which I am not keen to do yet. I'll make do with the cody and the latest anti-inflammatory (so long as it's ok to keep taking).

So I am wondering, should I boot out the OH?! He has disappeared on a Christmas 'event' - been gone since yesterday (I married a musician - periodically they do this - disappear into a 'studio' at someone's house and emerge days later after 'recording'. I shudder to think what they record, but I learned early it's dull to be there...) :carolers:

Feet up, end of term style and I might just get myself a takeaway and find something cheerful to watch on tv until he shambles home.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't offer any advice on TKR but I'm sure others will be able to share info/experiences with you .
    In terms of the GP, firstly I'm glad you've found one who is more approachable, I have a great one, some appointments are brief, (the give me more drugs ones), some we have a bit of a joke/talk politics /family, and others I get tearful. The tearful ones are usually those when I have to be honest about something being difficult and those are the ones where I feel down after. However it is important to be honest with our GPs if we are to get the best from them as how ever skilled they are we can't expect them to be mindreaders!

One other thing to factor in, it has been a very long term, so it's natural to be tired and for me this is also something that can make me tearful.

So turn off the alarm, have a duvet day, relax, eat chocolates and watch TV.

And I wouldn't boot out the OH.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    Thanks Slosh
    It has been a long old term, hasn't it?
    Only joking about the OH although it's been tough on me, so he's having a hard time too. I expect I won't see him until tomorrow now so it's some rubbish tv and sharing the sofa with the dog for me.

Thank heavens it's time for the hols
    :santa2:
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    At least the longest term is over and done with.
    I'm planning a day of R and R, feet up, chocolates and the TV, planning to watch It's a Wonderful Life later and then it's the Strictly Final!

Take care and have a good Christmas and New Year.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    You too Slosh - we could all do with a good rest. Got my hair done today and settled down with Strictly final - couldn't be better!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I found those three options interesting; in my nineteenth yesar of this malarkey I can't walk down the street without aids (or stand still for longer than a minute or two), luckily the pressure-on-the-marriage bit doesn't apply to my situation despite having two forms of the disease and him working more hours than god sends and I'm depressed, but hold that at bay with a daily dose of an anti-dep. I was too young at 52 to qualify despite being bone-on-bone through two thirds of each knee, now at 56 I'm bone-on-bone throughout, have grown beautiful spurs on both knees and both ankles. I suspect I would still be refused due to carrying some excess weight .

A replacement will be carried out when the damage is sufficient to merit it. Our thoughts and feelings about that are often at odds with the professionals' because we are living with the ongoing deterioration in movement and the increasing level of pain as other joints become affected. They are living with the increasing demand for this operation as the population ages but with generally good health. Like us the NHS is creaking under the pressure of the demands being placed upon it. Frustrating, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben