Your Favourite Carols

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 21. Dec 2015, 13:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'll stick to English and not include here some of the wonderfully down-to-earth Spanish ones (“Mary, Mary, come quickly. The rats are chewing St Joseph's underpants”).

1. Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar http://tinyurl.com/h6kv7nt

2. O Holy Night http://tinyurl.com/kquwqjd

3. Of the Father's Heart Begotten http://tinyurl.com/hbsu726

4. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear

5. Silent Night

6. Hark the Herald Angels Sing

7. In the Bleak Midwinter

8. O Little Town of Bethlehem

9. Mary's Boy Child

10. In Dulce Jubilo (Both the wonderful Mike Oldfield version and the one with lyrics – Good Christian Men Rejoice)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Silent night has to be the top of my list..its send shivers down my spine when I hear it..and yes Marys boy child..there are many more..but I remember hearing a choir singing O Holy night in Lincoln Cathedral..wonderful... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    1. Holy Night

2. Silent night.

3. Adeste Fideles.

=4. O Little Town of Bethlehem & Joy to the World.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Lo, How a Rose e'r Blooming is my favorite. I go through fazes of like-then-tired-of with the other traditional ones.

I remember hearing this carol when I was very young and all through my childhood and beyond. My Mum was an organist and always played this one.

Joni Mitchell's The River is not a carol but a favorite at Christmas nonetheless. It's not a happy song so, be warned if you haven't heard it before.

Oh, and XTC, Thanks for Christmas
  • Boomer13
    ......The Holly and The Ivy. On Christmas Night

For fun, I like Mele Malikamaka, sp? has grown on me the past few years.
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    I remember hearing Jonny Mathis singing When A Child Is Born many years ago, December 1980 it must have been as it really got to me as I'd just had my youngest at the beginning of December.
    However like Barbara it's Silent Night that really cracks me up. Used to have a minister who always had it sung at the Watch Night service just as the clock ticked away from 24th Dec and into the 25th so it started on Christmas Eve and ended on Christmas Day. Always needed a tissue handy for that moment

slomo
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I love them all but have special fondness for Hark the Herald Angels sing and it came upon the midnight clear,

I love singing the 12 days of Christmas and Good King Wenceslas, which is nod to the old days.

I'm going to make an effort to find a Carol service this year.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Boomer13
    Another favorite that I never tire of: While Shepherd's Watched Their Flocks

I like the sound of the rats chewing jesus' underpants carol, Sticky, I'll have to look for that one :D