change in biologics

scouting
scouting Member Posts: 37
edited 20. Jan 2016, 17:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have RA and been on cimzia. This is now failing and they want to change to either enbrel or rituximab? Anyone on these or used them? What are the issues or benifits with them?
Cimzia was my wonder drug for three years and I didn't think I would go backwards or that it would stop working. Just needs some advice.
tia
gxx

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    if you are RF positive I would try tocilizumab or rituximab & I am going to have rituximab infusion in early new year

it takes a long time but is worth it & every 6 months , I did well on tocilizumab but had problems with leg ulcers so they changed me over , I have had no side effects with rituximab & would recomend it
  • scouting
    Hi
    I don't have a positive rf I'm afraid. Thank you for your reply. She only mentioned the two nothing else.
    Gxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was on Enbrel for a while, it did nothing for my PsA but then why would it? These things are not guaranteed. I haven't had ritux. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scouting
    Thank you.
    starting enbrel after a month free from cimzia. I've had to use my existing stock. I've also had flu jab, pneumonia jab, chest x-ray and bloods.
    Still feeling like I'm in the middle of a bad flare up. Hands really bad then the old knee decides to join in. Lol.

Looking forward to seeing if this will work not looking forward to injecting once a week.
    Gxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If the cimzia isn't working then you will, indeed, feel as if you're flaring. I hope the time passes as quickly as possible and the enbrel does its job.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have one week of one injection, then the next week it's two. Can't say I like it much either, especially as I don't feel any benefit whatsoever. I'm currently off the meth and humira as I have a bug which is reluctant to clear off - luckily I realised some time ago that I was never going to win this arthritis game.

I hope the enbrel helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scouting
    Thank you.
  • jabster
    jabster Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

I was on humira for a month, worked wonders but the SE were too much.

Switched to Enbrel pens, worked amazingly well for me for the last 2.5 years, starting to fail now, Rheumy wants to add in MTX injections (I refused to take MTX due to SE from it years ago). Next step is a new Biologic.

Only SE to Enbrel I had was site reactions but took anti histimines and these cleared in a few months.

This was for Sero Negative, Hope this helps x