Exercising (without aggravating pesky joints!!)

Dizzy
Dizzy Member Posts: 27
edited 30. Dec 2015, 12:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm looking for a bit of advice and encouragement really.

I need to lose weight and obviously it is easier and better for me to combine healthier eating with some form of exercise.

The thing is, too much exercise makes the joints revolt (oh how I hate my revolting joints sometimes!) so I just wondered what kind of exercise others on here found useful, or if anyone had any tips.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dizzy!

I was just posting about the same on another thread!!

I am lucky enough to have a treadmill and walk on it as often as I can. I also try to do a little yoga and used to love swimming, but it hurt my neck :xmas_redface:

My MIL has a small like exercise bike thingy which sits on the floor and isn't a bike....not a very good explanation that!! She also has two very lightweight weights which she lifts daily to keep her arms strong.

Seriously though I think whatever we will keep on doing is best and to start off very very steadily.

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm not sure whether you mean exercise to help the arthritis or to help the weight loss. Arthritis exercises tend to be quite gentle but other types of more vigorous exercise is OK if you can do it. Have a look here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/exercise-and-arthritis

And good luck with it. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    I have always enjoyed the great outdoors and walking. I think that it was on my second annual appointment with the rheumatologist that I said that I felt stiff after doing a walk. Whereupon he looked straight between the eyes and said very seriously " Walking is the very best exercise for you and providing you are not suffering a flare up, and you know what that is like, then I'm afraid that it is your age.
    That was 3 years ago when I was 78. I still do what I can but no more than 5 miles and find that it is not the actual walking but the morning after that it all catches up.
    Best wishes to you with your plans,it sounds as though you are starting the New Year off well.Build up slowly and steadily.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    any exercise that doesn't cause to much pain especially none weight bearing ..swimming cross trainers..light weights , its a matter of learning has you go along..good luck with the weight loss
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Our Arthritis Branch has a yoga class once a fortnight.
    We walk ??? LOL once a month
    Zumba {seated} once a week and swimming once a week but there is a massive waiting list for that.
    Apart from those I need the motivation to keep up my exercises at home on my own. :frown:
    I try to do some stretches every day and some exercises my physio gave me and on my back in a semi supine position for 20 mins every day. I TRY dont always manage it :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I walk as much as possible, to and from work mainly. If I'm not working, I'll go out for a walk for 20-30 minutes. My rheumie told me to keep walking (actually he told me to keep running :shock: ).My physio told me to keep up the walking and gave me yoga exercises to do. I think stretching is good and light weights if you can manage them. Start gradually and build up slowly. If you rush in too quickly, you're more likely to give up. Good luck with it.
    Christine