Hello - joined today

Langtoonlassie
Langtoonlassie Member Posts: 3
edited 5. Jan 2016, 11:47 in Say Hello Archive
Just joined and look forward to receiving lots of good advice. I have had osteoarthritis since my late 20's, started with neck ache but was told it was also in my hands. I was also told that one of the discs in my spine between the shoulders was crushed. The doctor asked if I had been in a car accident - which I hadn't. I am now 68 and have pain all over, ankles, knees, hips, spine, hands,shoulders and neck. I am unable to take ibuprofen as it affects my stomach even with tablets to prevent this happening. I would love to hear how others go on with the same symptoms with regard to pain relief and entitlement to any benefits. I have been told I should not lift anything nor press down on anything.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Langtoonlassie,

Lovely to meet you, I'm one of the moderators, we can help with any problems with the site, we each have or look after someone with one or more of the arthritis conditions.

Being Sunday, and so close to the holiday there may not be many members around tonight, but you will soon find new fiends with advice, empathy and humour. Take a look around the forums and join in where you feel comfortable

Take care
    Mod Yx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Langtoonlassie and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you are all too well accustomed to dealing with pain. It's not much fun, is it?

I have RA though OA has added itself over the years partly, if not mainly, because there was no proper medication for RA in my early years so it was mostly anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen that I took. No stomach protectors then so the did mess my stomach up.

I think some of us old hands (I have had RA for over 50 years) can become so used to dealing with pain that sometimes we accept it too much and stop looking for solutions or, rather, help so it's good that you are trying to improve your lot.

In your situation I'd have a chat with my GP. Ibuprofen is by no means the only anti-inflammatory. Indeed, it's usually a first-port-of-call drug and there are other, better anti-inflamms about. Yes, you'll need a stomach protector but as long as that does its job, you should be OK. I think many on here combine anti-inflamms with pain relieving meds so that would be another option. I'm sure your GP will come up with more.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello and welcome - I hope you find the forum useful : it has been of great support to me.

I have RA, with a bit of OA thrown in, so can`t really add to what SW has said, so I just wanted to say hello and welcome.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I too have a creaky foot in both arthritis camps and I endorse everything Sticky said. It is always worth having a chat to your GP (or even the local pharmacist, they too are knowledgeable people) because there may be something out there you haven't tried and which might be suitable. I hope you find the forum to be of interest and helpful, we are all in very similar boats and understand the frustrations of the condition and its effects far too well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Langtoonlassie
    Langtoonlassie Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to those of you who have written and said hello by return. I have a lot of reading to do and, no doubt, will have lots of questions after doing so. Anyway, yes, it is good to speak to others who understand your problems and I look forward to those discussions.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Please join in anywhere at any time, langtoonlassie. We're a friendly lot. We don't bite :wink: and we're good at supporting each other.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    We don't bite
    , we don't need to, the arthritis does that itself!