OA and Physio

MamaG
MamaG Member Posts: 6
edited 12. Jan 2016, 03:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all - was diagnosed with OA in knees in Sept - still waiting to see consultant but have been sent to physio - this absolutely kills me - have been in so much pain since my last session - is this normal?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and help here.
    I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the arthritis "hanger's on" or look after family with the same.
    If you have problems with any of the technicalities of the forum please send us a personal message.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello MamaG and a warm welcome form me
    Physio can be painful but the pain shouldn't last more that a day or so..you could ask to see a different one if you are not happy, I did a few years ago and the second one was so much better..good luck with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there MamaG and welcome from me, too :)

I presume it's an orthopaedic surgeon that you've been referred to. He'll probably do x-rays to see the extent of the damage but, unless you're ready for surgery (which doesn't sound likely if you were only diagnosed in September) he'll probably just suggest more physio and / or maybe lifestyle changes.

Physio can be very painful but, as Barbara says, the pain shouldn't last more than a couple of days. It's important to keep the muscles strong as they support the joints and supported joints both hurt less and last longer than unsupported ones.

If you've gone at the exercises a bit too enthusiastically you might have tweaked something or other but this should settle down again. If it doesn't then maybe check again with the physio or your GP. If one particular exercise hurts then maybe go gently with that one until you see your physio again. It can help to take pain relief about ½ hour before an exercise session if it's very difficult.

Which exercises are you doing and which of them hurts?

Weight, diet and smoking can all make OA worse. You might find Arthritis Care's info helpful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis . And more moral support, just chat to us on the Living With Arthritis forum. We all have it, know the pain and experience the difficulties - unfortunately :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MamaG
    Thanks both - I've xrays but have yet to see consultant!!! The physio leaves almost unable to walk at all, also the physio hasn't seen the xrays so I'm not confident that the correct things are being done?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello again
    Your physio should have seen the xrays, other wise they dont know what is going on in there, I would be very cautious, and when you do go back dont be afraid to ask questions..and tell them your fears and how much pain you have been in, its not easy but just go for it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    It's good that your GP has got x-rays. Maybe the orthopaedic consultant (if that is who you are to see) will ask for a scan which will reveal more.
    There are basic knee-strengthening exercises which are known as 'quads' as they strengthen the quadriceps muscles around the knee. To be honest, I've been given these firstly as routine maintenance, then as pre-knee replacement exercises and also as post-knee replacement ones. I still do them daily to keep my replaced knees up to scratch. They're almost certainly in the Arthritis Care exercises book https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis

So, which exercises have you been given, MamaG? I presume you have to do them at home too. And, do you take any pain relief?
    Steven Wright
  • MamaG
    thanks again both - I will definitely check out again about the xrays next time I see the physio. I've been doing both stretch and strengthning exercises and also do them at but it's after the physios been manipulating my knees that I'm in real pain. Keep fingers x'd for me!
  • stickywicket
    Ah, I see. So the problem's not with the exercises if they go well at home but with the manipulation. I guess only the physio can sort that one out. Do explain before your next session that the manipulation hurts so much. It might be that, if you do the exercises enough, the manipulation won't be necessary. On the other hand the manipulation might be intended to free things up to make the exercises more effective. Definitely worth an ask with the physio.
    Steven Wright
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Hello and welcome
    I also have OA in knees (diagnosed about 10 years ago) and I have had a number of physio bouts over the years. I usually find the strengthening exercises hurt for a while but nothing like you are discussing. As the others said, I would be inclined to talk to the physio about how painful the manipulation is for you - when I have had problems with exercises etc the physics have always been able to come up with alternatives. I suppose all our knees are different so they must have numerous ways to help us.
    Good luck with the physio and referral
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yup, physio hurts and it's bound too because we're exercising bits that may be reluctant to work because we know things will hurt. I'm not sure about the manipulation though, I've never had my arthritic knees manipulated but if someone tried, and they hurt me, they would soon know to stop.

I have two kinds of arthritis in my knees (they are the worst of all my affected joints) and I know what needs to be done to keep my muscles as strong and flexible as possible but I have the good fortune to be nineteen years in, thus plenty of experience to inform and support me. You must tell the physio about the aftermath of your treatment, some discomfort is to be expected but not to the degree you mention. I remember trying hydrotherapy - that would result in 48 hours on the sofa with knees like balloons! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben