Congratulations to the England cricket team

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 18. Jan 2016, 13:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
They've won the Test series with a match in hand thanks to some amazing bowling by Stuart Broad (6-17) and, earlier, terrific batting from Joe Root and Ben Stokes, ably supported by Jonny Bairstow who also took 9 catches behind the stumps. (Wouldn't his Dad have been proud?)

This was England's first series win over S. Africa in eleven years and it knocked the Antipodeans off the top of the table.

And the SW household is a happy place :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Congratulations indeed - and David Bairstow certainly would have been proud of his son. They have the makings of a really good team,who can go on to great things. They're not missing KP, that's for sure.

Our grandsons got their hands on Yorkshire' s Championship trophy just before Christmas when Ryan Sidebottom brought it along to their nets.Enthusiasm since then has been at fever-pitch, so lots of cheering when the Saffies were skittled out. It's so good to see an England team give us cause for celebration! Mind you, it does interfere with the housework!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Yes well done indeed.
    Granddaughters birthday at the end of the month and we are getting her a new cricket bat,well her dads getting it but we are paying.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That was tremendous bowling by S Broad Esq. wasn't it? I've never been particularly sporty (apart from tennis which I loved and love) but I suppose part of its magic (and what holds the interest) is you never know what's going to happen, it's compensation for the duller times fans endure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh, Tezz, how lovely for the lads to be able to touch the trophy!

Ryan Sidebottom's Dad, Arnie, coached our eldest at the Centre of Excellence nets. Later that year, his class were asked to name their favourite sportsperson and why. Most chose top footballers on the grounds that they scored a lot of goals. R chose Arnie on the grounds that he was a really good coach and a very kind man.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    They were thrilled to bits, Sticky - their father may be Durham born & bred but our grandsons are Yorkshire through and through. Ryan comes along to the Academy sometimes on a Monday night, and we have a lovely photo of him with the boys holding the trophy, but the boys get really excited when Jack Leaning turns up.

My two sons got Arnie's autograph many moons ago. There used to be a Cricket Festival at Jesmond, way, way back in the day, sponsored by Callers Pegasus, and one year when it was washed out, all the cricketers sat in a room while all the kids got their autographs.

Happy days - and now we are reliving them with the next generation : how lucky are we?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well done England..I didnt see any of it but heard all about it... :D
    Love
    Barbara