I expected better of BBC docs

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 9. Feb 2016, 13:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last night Mr SW was watching 'Trust Me I'm a Doctor'. They were talking about OA. Then I heard “But there's another form of arthritis that's completely different”

“What's the betting” I asked, “that they say RA and imply there are only the two kinds?”

Sure enough the GP presenter did :shock: But it got worse. “If you spot it early you can stop it in its tracks.” Really? Really??

To be fair, the programme's website is more accurate and has some good info about OA and exercises (http://tinyurl.com/hyr4oeu ) but anyone merely watching the TV would have concluded that there are only two forms of arthritis and that RA can be stopped at source.

If only we all lived on the same healthy planet as them :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It`s irresponsible to give mis-information about illnesses, or anything else for that matter - far better to give out none at all.

I do think it`s indicative of the slipping standards in general at the BBC. Their weather people deliver forecasts at the speed of an express train, while the newsreaders are up and down like yo-yos.

I`m ringing my rheumy today to ask for a refund because she didn`t stop my RA in its tracks.`Snot fair!!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    The BBC have been heading downhill for a while. The other trashy channels have meant that the bar has been lowered.

I am beginning to really dislike the word arthritis. It always incites the same two responses when people find out; "you're too young" and "I have a bit of that in my finger/knee".
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    And this all leads to the misperceptions out there in the public. It can have a big effect, as then who do you believe? The patient?Certainly not, as mostly they whine a lot, or the knowledgeable folks who researched the documentary?

My brother, who doesn't believe most of what I say, started disbelieving me when a GP told him that all patients with PsA who get loaded up with MTX then return to their functional lives before they had obvious PsA. Not a documentary source but misinformation nonetheless.

This is a frustrating peeve of mine.
  • stickywicket
    I have made a complaint. Watch this space.

I see no point in merely grousing about it. They have put out inaccurate and unhelpful information which will only serve to endorse commonly held misconceptions. Their GP presenters should have known better but we all know it aint necessarily so.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I didn't see this thanks to many boring boys chasing a spherical object around a patch of grass (OH home, tired and ruled the remote) but it strikes me as a case of arthritis 'lite' strikes again. It's the 'one-size fits-all' version, there's OA and RA, yes? How lovely. Maybe they can be mended. How convenient. How 21st century.

I'm not sure how the Beeb could fit in the various kinds of auto-immune but why they would want to? Let's face it, it's not glamorous or interesting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I watched the first one but have recorded this .so will have a look, talk about never moving on..good for you SW for complaining..it will be interesting to see what comes of it..doctors indeed :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    I have an automated reply and a case number. They aim to get back to me in 10 days.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    50p bet they don't. Mig
  • stickywicket
    You're on, mig :D

So cynical for one so young :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Im nearly 69 your Stickyness not that much younger than you. :shock: Mig
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Really disappointing.

As people have said, it will only fuel misconceptions.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've found it hard enough to explain to family and friends that my condition can't just be stopped or controlled 100%, let alone trying to get the general public to appreciate that!
  • stickywicket
    I've had a reply. An unsatisfactory one.

They say they 'appreciate that there are many forms of arthritis however this programme only mentioned the two most common forms osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis'. That was precisely my beef - that they implied there were only two - and I'd told them so.

They also wrote that the programme said 'there are medications that can slow the condition and minimise joint damage if treatment is begun early enough.' No, it actually said RA 'could be stopped in its tracks''.

I should take this further but I'm due at the dentist's today to have a root out and then my priorities are getting my ancient TKR working again as it's currently seized up. I'm not sure I have the energy to take them on right now.

However, mig, I won the bet. Pay up :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    As you say, unsatisfactory - but not unexpected. All these corporations bank on us not having the energy to pursue and challenge their mistakes. I speak from the experience of a recent 'disagreement' with the Royal Mail.

Good luck at the dentist, and I hope your knee improves.
  • stickywicket
    I have summoned up the energy to reply, politely but firmly. This time I will get a reply 'within 20 working days'. Let's hope it's a better one.
    Steven Wright