I feel like Great Aiunt Agatha

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 31. Jan 2016, 05:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
As you all know, I'm not easily shocked. Forty odd years of marriage to Mr SW has sorted that one out. So I was somewhat amazed and annoyed to find myself thinking, this morning, strange, outdated phrases such as:

'have they no sense of self-respect?' 'what are they teaching their kids?' and the old Victor Meldrew favourite 'I don't believe it!'

It seems a Darlington head teacher has had to ask parents to wash in the morning and stop dropping their children off in their pyjamas. To wash and to dress before bringing their kids to school :shock: :shock: :shock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-35413153

I went through untold pain every morning to get my two and myself up, washed, dressed and to school but always did it even in the days when their school bus stop was just across the road. It never occurred to me to inflict my nightwear and yesterday's pongs on passers by.

I've often pushed boundaries and was never much of a one for dress codes but this is sheer cleanliness and hygiene and respect for oneself and others. I'm truly astonished that anyone can think this acceptable behaviour and dread to think what the next generation would deem normal if it were not for the intervention of that head teacher.

Signed,

Disgusted of Nowhere Near Tunbridge Wells
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You and me both. Where is the pride and self-respect let alone the respect for others? It has been known for me to wear my nightie all day long but ONLY in the privacy of my house.

There is an increasing level of casualness in our society which wasn't there when I was younger. I clearly remember my Ma dressing me in my Sunday best for seeing the GPs and hospital doctors, when we occasionally went out en famille to concerts and a meal we dressed smartly and, even after he retired, Pa would wear a shirt and tie (come Sunday it was a shirt and cravat - for those of you who are tittering at the back, trousers were also involved :wink: ).

There is an increasing level of scruff (and not only in dress) which seems to be the norm - today I visited a well-known mobile-phone retailer to be met by a bloke in scruffy jeans, over-washed polo shirt and regulation company fleece. He didn't even stand up to shake my hand but why would he? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Because we have no choice these days DD and you will get your phone from there anyway :roll:

Stickywicket I agree 100%

I always got up before the kids so I was dressed BEFORE them,
    (For many years I worked nights too - so that's no excuse!).

Then, even if they played up, I could devote all my attention to getting THEM ready and into school on time.

It's disgusting and inappropriate.

As the kids got older and I was often obliged to run a friend home after my shower. I would get dressed again to transport them home.

Even, more recently, when an ambulance has been called to take my youngest to hospital in an emergency, I still chucked some clobber on :shock:

Apologies for spelling and grammar. I just have strong opinions on the issue :oops:
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    There has been a fashion trend here for quite some time where kids wear flannel pj bottoms out during the day. They look ridiculous and, it's a sad state when parents allow this as an expression of their freedom, laziness or whatever it is :?

I saw a fully grown male human out in clothes of some kind and a bath robe slung over top. What was this supposed to express? I know what it told me....And, it sets a terrible example for young people. I'm proud to have grown into my great aunt Agatha.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I keep thin king is it my age when you see how some people are dressed or not ..and cleanliness cost nothing has they say..what on earth are they teaching there children...its such a same..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Happily it doesn't happen where I work, though on Children in Need Day children, and staff went to school in pyjamas.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Apparently, today, only one woman brought her child in while clad in pyjamas. She claimed she 'had a bad back'.

So how many people, in the UK, with bad backs, managed to wash and dress themselves before getting their kids to school?

This really, REALLY gets my goat as it gives disabled people a bad name. They use OUR PAIN to justify THEIR laziness and anti-social habits.

(I'd better log out now :oops: )
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Have to agree with you on that one Sticky. Mind you I remember working in one school where we had a pupil who kept refusing to get dressed for school in the morning. The parent wanted to get her daughter to school but her daughter would refuse to get washed or dressed. We tried a number of thins and finally, with the parent fully supporting us arranged for her daughter to be brought to school in her nightwear and then two members of staff would supervise her washing and dressing. We only had to do this once!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Nothing surprises me either Sticky. I don't even like answering the door in my pyjamas.

My OH did once turn up for school in his slippers but it was a genuine mistake I think!

Elizabeth

I must also confess to painfully changing into my clothes when the house next door caught fire!
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Slosh, I think that was a brilliant bit of co-operation between school and home.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you.
    It's amazing how much schools do for vulnerable pupils but it nevergets reported.
    Julian of Norwich