Fibromyalgia flare

PetiteN
PetiteN Member Posts: 87
edited 30. Jan 2016, 14:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

My fibro is always pretty bad, (i have jia too, but often the fibro seems worse) but I function, but it's ridiculously bad at the moment.

I've only ever really chatted to one or two others with fibro, and there's was a bit milder.
I wondered if any of you on here could share how you manage yours?

I've had a really busy time recently, so no doubt that's escalated things.
I'm off to work shortly, but everything is so bad. And it's only Monday, oh dear!
:-) Don't think I'll be off the caffeine again just yet!

So far, I use massage therapy, when I can afford it, and amitriptyline to help with symptoms, although they only just about touch it tbh.

Hope your Monday's have started ok!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't have fibro but I hope those who do will see this and respond.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • PetiteN
    I don't have fibro but I hope those who do will see this and respond.

Thanks Sticky :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have it, my rheumatologist diagnosed it (much to my surprise) and offered amytryp but because of all the other junk I have for the PsA I declined. I can't truly separate the fibro hurt from the other two but it's having a go at the moment because I'm off all my meds due to an infection. I think my Citalopram helps, avoiding any unnecessary stress also makes a difference to all my conditions but life comes with all kinds of stress at all kinds of levels - getting out of bed this morning was extremely stressful! :lol: I try to stay as mobile as possible, the NHS Choices mentions that exercise can be beneficial and for me that means toddling about whenever possible. It's not possible at the moment, however, thanks to the bug. I think there is a fybro forum somewhere but I've not joined because it is, currently, the least of my troubles.

It must be so hard to have to work while dealing with all of this, I honestly don't know how some of you manage to do it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Hi PetiteN.

I've got fibro, as well as OA and trochanteric bursitis. I'm retired, though, so can please myself during the day, which does make life easier. So, my thoughts may not be very applicable to you. I feel for you having to work and cope with the fibro, too.

I take 25mg Nortriptyline daily and Paracetamol as and when. I go to a tai chi class every week and find that this does help. I have also found that, when I feel as though I've been flattened by a truck, forcing myself to take a short walk in the fresh air makes me feel a little better. I also try to pace myself with tasks and don't attempt to clean the whole house in one day, as I used to do many moons ago. I don't know whether you would be able to pace tasks in your work?

You mentioned caffeine. I haven't had caffeine for quite a few years now and feel better for it. I still drink tea, and sometimes coffee, but always decaff.

HealthUnlocked, if you Google it, has an active Fibromyalgia Group which is very supportive. This is a forum of FMA (Fibromyalgia Action UK). Might be worth a look?

I don't know if what I've said has helped any, but I wish you all the best.

Meg
  • PetiteN
    Hi ladies,

Thankyou for your replies. It's definitely interesting and helpful to know how you manage yours.

I do feel like I've been flattened by a truck at the moment! Completely exhausted, but then I push myself to carry on as I know that's better for me for my mental health at least.
    Stress is definitely a big factor, I've had a pretty heavy 15 months in work and personal life and I'm sure that's made my fibro symptoms alot worse.
    I do need to consider pacing myself more, I live on my own so pretty much do all the chores myself despite being fatigued and in alot of pain all the time at the moment. I'm wondering if I should consider some help with household chores even if just once a week...

Work will be calming down a little pressure wise as of next week, so I'm hoping that might help a little.

I gave up caffeine completely about a year ago, but then with the breakdown of my relationship around last spring time, sudden extra stress at work and a bad flare in my health, I found myself back on it to use as a mechanism to keep me going.... But deep down Im sure I'd be better off without it, so I think I'll start cutting it down soon.

I might check out some fibro forums, thanks :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If you can afford it having someone in even every fortnight for a couple of hours to do the heavy cleaning is worth it. When we moved to this house we inherited a dishwasher - I am now learning to use it on a regular basis rather than washing up two or three times a day - waste of water - or once a day when there's a lot (which is a waste of my limited energy). I now save it in the washer and just wipe saucepans round in between times.

Another useful tip (I hope!) is if you have any visitors ask them to open bleach bottles etc. and not fully close them, I can no longer mange the squeeze-and-turn manoeuvre. Internet food shopping is a boon, I had to use it when I broke my upper left humerus and I can't go back now! I also invested in a cordless vacuum which is magnificent (I went for the best I could afford and it was worth every penny). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PetiteN
    Thankyou DD, yeah I think I'm going to look into trying to save some money somewhere to afford a little help now and again, I've pushed myself since moving out of home 15 years ago, but I must be able to find a way to get some more support, I think it will help, particularly as all my joints are so damaged now.

The opening bottles tips is good, I often ask my brother to do the bleach bottles/ tricky ones when he pops in.

I use online shopping for the big shops, it's good isn't it :-)

I think I need to integrate more energy saving and pain reducing strategies into my life though, its a work in progress...!