Rambling post Hip Replacement

mounteney
mounteney Member Posts: 9
edited 30. Jan 2016, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a hip replacement about three and a half months ago and progress in recovery has been satisfactory to good.
In a previous existence I was a keen mountaineer/hillwalker, and although I don,t expect to get back to anything like that I would be happy to do some extensive rambling.
Anyone been through this stage able to give comments or advice?
(or should I donate my gear to Arthritiscare?)

TONY

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tony
    Can't help you on this one yet since am facing the prospect of a hip replacement............ :cry:
    In my previous 'life' did a lot of walking and went on archaeological digs (in true Time Team fashion-for those older members who remember the series,have met Phil Harding and had a chat about beer and pubs (DD please note!)).This is now on hold.......... :!:
    Hope you can do the things you want (though mountaineering?).
    Please keep us posted.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Tony
    I have had one hip replaced and now waiting to have the other done, sadly I have back probs so wont be doing any rambling..only in my post.. :? I have a couple of friends that go walking regular, one had both hips done and the other one ..its walking over rough terrain..not sure if this is rambling..so I honestly cant see why not..think you will have sticks with you so this should stop any falls..there are some brilliant site about what you can and cant do after having a THR..the one thing I remember you cant do is skiing...mind you couldn't ski before I had it :lol: ..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • mounteney
    Hi Tony
    Can't help you on this one yet since am facing the prospect of a hip replacement............ :cry:
    In my previous 'life' did a lot of walking and went on archaeological digs (in true Time Team fashion-for those older members who remember the series,have met Phil Harding and had a chat about beer and pubs (DD please note!)).This is now on hold.......... :!:
    Please keep us posted.
    Ron

Ron! thanks your reply - maybe we can renew contact when either of us has something more positive to report? Could the Phil Harding you mention be P.R.J. Harding? Finally, I have Franklin,s quote pinned on the notice board above my computer! TONY
  • mounteney
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Tony
    I have had one hip replaced and now waiting to have the other done, sadly I have back probs so wont be doing any rambling..only in my post.. :? I have a couple of friends that go walking regular, one had both hips done and the other one ..its walking over rough terrain..not sure if this is rambling..so I honestly cant see why not..think you will have sticks with you so this should stop any falls..there are some brilliant site about what you can and cant do after having a THR..the one thing I remember you cant do is skiing...mind you couldn't ski before I had it :lol: ..good luck
    Barbara - many thanks for your reply. I am hoping to avoid a second hip op. hence don,t want to overdo walking/rambling: have used TWO poles for ages! Am heartened to learn about your friends, particularly the one who traverses "rough terrain". Haven,t skiid for 50 years though I still have a pair of (wooden) skis TONY
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Any questions Tony ..you ask away..the advice I got off the good people on this forum was priceless...
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    mounteney wrote:
    Hi Tony
    Please keep us posted.
    Ron

Ron! thanks your reply - maybe we can renew contact when either of us has something more positive to report? Could the Phil Harding you mention be P.R.J. Harding? Finally, I have Franklin,s quote pinned on the notice board above my computer! TONY

Sorry had to google PRJ Harding to see who he was............ :oops:

The Phil Harding I met was from the archaeological series 'Time Team' on TV.It included Prof.Mick Aston and Carenza Lewis(!) both archaeologists.The program was presented by Tony 'blackaddder' Robinson (Phil was famed for his love of beer............. :)).

I am on the 'waiting list' for THR and will post as soon asI get a date!
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The medics would be able to advise on what levels and types of activity are appropriate but I wonder if it might also be worth you getting in touch with local walkers(perhaps through the Ramblers Association) to see if they have any folks with first hand experience?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    Mountaineering would be pushing it (Remember the not-raising-the-knee-above-the-hip rule) but I'd have thought rambling was excellent exercise once things are healed internally and provided you ease yourself into it. The surgeon, at check-up time, is your best source of info. I rode horses with two THRs and two TKRs but my surgeon told me to call it a draw when I had the knee revision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright