Trapeziectomy recovery

Options
staffa
staffa Member Posts: 7
edited 6. Feb 2016, 12:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm new to this site, so still a bit slow finding my way around!
I had a right trapeziectomy with LRTI 13+ weeks ago. I'm trying to stay positive and keep reminding myself just how much better it is now than when the cast first came off. But I had hoped for quicker progress. Still getting quite a bit of swelling of my hand and base of thumb area, painful too, also pain on the outside (little finger) area of my wrist. Movement is getting better, but still very little strength in my right hand. I followed all the post-op instructions, having weekly physio and doing all the exercises religiously so feeling a bit frustrated! I know all recoveries are different but have other people experienced similar? Any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello
    Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendly people.

I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the "arthritis hanger's on" or we look after family with the same. If you find you need help with the technicallities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message

CK Mod.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Glad you made it over to this forum, staffa. I hope someone who's had the op will see your post.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    So, still no replies? I think that means they've all made a full recovery and gone away :D

Here are some former threads anyway though the first few are your own http://tinyurl.com/zt9hyay
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • staffa
    Options
    Thank you stickywicket for the link. I'm still struggling to find the threads on here, so very impressed that you can put them all together! I will have a read through and hopefully find some answers.......... :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Post-surgery can be a frustrating time, I've been post-op on a few occasions now (the most inconvenient being the double carpal tunnel op) but I reckon it's tempting to think that because the area of the surgery is small the recovery will be quicker. That is not the case and indeed, when in the middle of recovery, it is hard to evaluate the progress which has been made. People heal at different rates too (sometimes age-dependant) or maybe on other medication which inhibits healing (as is the case with me).

I hope you keep exploring the forum, you are talking to the initiated when it comes to matters arthritic :) . I wish you well and I am sure everything is proceeding as it should. It takes a long time for us to reach the point of surgery and recovery is always quicker than that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on, how are things going? DD
  • staffa
    Options
    Thanks DD I think I'm heading in the right direction, just slowly! Certainly reading through some of the previous threads recovery rates do seem to vary enormously. I'm due to see my physio on Monday after a few weeks break (she was ill) just hoping that the exercises are working and she will see an improvement AND let me start swimming again........fingers, toes and everything else crossed!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There is no norm regarding recovery time, it will take as long as it will take and that's that. Please let us know how Monday goes and I hope you receive the news you wish to hear. DD